Are open prizes worth it?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I played in a Seniors open earlier in the year and whilst I was quite happy with the £25 voucher I picked up for winning a particular age category, one of my mates was less than impressed on receiving his prize for one of the nearest the pin holes - a plastic thermos style coffee mug.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I won an £80 voucher in a seniors open in May this year valid for 12 months. Course is same distance away as my club, but in opposite direction.
Couldn't find anything in the shop worth buying. £60 polo shirt - no thanks. No Srixon soft feels or Callaway supersofts - high price premium balls only and I have enough of them already.
Very, very poorly stocked shop compared with pro-shop at my club.
Might have another look before Xmas if I'm passing that way.
I know a few members there. Another option is to sell the £80 voucher for £60 cash.
I would rather treat myself to something, but I just couldn't find anything.
I would have no such problem in my club pro's shop or even, and I hate to say it, an AG store.

Maybe worth asking if they can order in for your situation.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I played in a Seniors open earlier in the year and whilst I was quite happy with the £25 voucher I picked up for winning a particular age category, one of my mates was less than impressed on receiving his prize for one of the nearest the pin holes - a plastic thermos style coffee mug.
That’s a horrendous prize. We never enter 2s or nearest the pin as the prizes are never worth it.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
In that case, they can’t really complain too much ?

worst prize I’ve won in a side raffle was a jar of apple sauce.

When the open entry fee was £65 and about 60 golfers played then I'd like to think that you might expect a little bit more than a plastic coffee mug.....at least apple sauce is useful!!!

JT.

Visit site
Won a £50 voucher for 10th place in a ‘Mashie Pairs’ tour event this year (was a good rate to play Remedy Oak).

They sell their own (expensive) clothing range (pretty much everything aside from belts and hats is significantly more than £50) and charge £9.95 for P&P (which the voucher doesn’t count towards). Did think about chipping in another £25 to get a nice looking jumper…..however had run out of my size!

In the end just got a baseball cap and a beanie, only to be told the beanie was no longer in stock and they’d just send me the baseball cap (for £9.95 P&P)…..order cancelled and won’t bother claiming the prize ?

Didn’t feel like a prize at all in the end (more of an effort to screw more money out of competitors and sell the remnants of an unsuccessful clothing line)…..however top prize on the day was a round at Sunningdale, which definitely can’t be sniffed at!

JT.

Visit site
The better the prizes, the higher the winning score. Well I never.
In fairness I think 5th-10th prize were exactly the same, therefore I stand by my comment about screwing additional money out of competitors.

However you also make a fair and valid point ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Very often the NTP and HIO prizes are ones donated from members rather than bought prizes. Something like that though should have gone in to the raffle ( I have won some horrendous prizes in our club raffles because they are all donated prizes).

One of the funnies was I donated a new Glenmuir Wind top but lemon yellow in colour. It kept reappearing in raffle after raffle.

I have got a second one but decided to wait until lemon yellow is back in fashion before donating it.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Very often the NTP and HIO prizes are ones donated from members rather than bought prizes. Something like that though should have gone in to the raffle ( I have won some horrendous prizes in our club raffles because they are all donated prizes).

One of the funnies was I donated a new Glenmuir Wind top but lemon yellow in colour. It kept reappearing in raffle after raffle.

I have got a second one but decided to wait until lemon yellow is back in fashion before donating it.

They dished out several of the insulated coffee cups...not just one!!!!

One of my mates plays regularly in a lemon yellow wind top!!!!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Firstly, I love opens. It’s a cheap way of playing a new course so I usually go with the attitude that I don’t care if I’m way off the mark in terms of winning. However, when we’ve won prizes it’s been a real mixed bag.

A mate had previously won £70 and all the club had was a snack shop so he ended up buying a years worth of snickers! On the other side, I’d won a local comp at £120. I called the shop and they ordered and sent out some footjoys. Job done! However we‘ve won recently won a Texas at Roxburgh this year and the prize was a box of pro Vs and £75 each. Amazing! thats where the story turns. We emailed the shop to see if we could get some balls sent down and they wanted to charge £15 a sleeve before we even discussed delivery as “they didn’t sell them by the dozen”. At the time this was £15 more than RRP so we held on to the voucher. We’ve since been playing a course nearby and popped into the shop to find they were selling a dozen balls for £50 (present rrp)!

What have your experiences been like? Have you felt you were getting ripped off? Should opens move to online shop vouchers for ease? Especially given people travel to them from far and wide.
As amateur golfers, we dont play for the monetary or utility value of the prize. We play for the simple sport of it. The purpose of a prize of any sort in amateur golf, is as a recognition, momento, or trophy (even if not a cup or salver), marking ones success in that tournament. In that context, any prize, is 'worth it' - the prize is the win itself.

sunshine

Visit site
I won an £80 voucher in a seniors open in May this year valid for 12 months. Course is same distance away as my club, but in opposite direction.
Couldn't find anything in the shop worth buying. £60 polo shirt - no thanks. No Srixon soft feels or Callaway supersofts - high price premium balls only and I have enough of them already.
Very, very poorly stocked shop compared with pro-shop at my club.
Might have another look before Xmas if I'm passing that way.
I know a few members there. Another option is to sell the £80 voucher for £60 cash.
I would rather treat myself to something, but I just couldn't find anything.
I would have no such problem in my club pro's shop or even, and I hate to say it, an AG store.

The pro shop is probably able to order items in for you, and may be part of a group like foremost golf. Try giving them a call. No point them carrying expensive stock gathering dust on a shelf.