Single figures golf and how to get there.

Trodski

Visit site
Be a better ball striker.

Which unfortunately for most people takes lots of practice.

I’ve just got into the promised land but it’s taken me hours of practice and lessons and a whole winter of terrible golf.

Find a good pro and trust the process.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
My index is 8.6. my strengths are my drives a decent distance (180ish) and mostly on the fairway, I generally have to hit a wood for my 2nd shot but again I am fairly consistent with them. I let myself down with my short game, my chipping and putting aren't great, but happily they don't need to be for me to maintain a single figure index

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Keep it in play off the tee
Hit as many greens in regulation as you can
Scramble well
Be better than average from bunkers
Pitch well from 100 yards and in
Avoid 3 putting
Be proficient at holing out from 5 feet and in

Simple

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Been out for 18 this evening. Shot 81. No lost balls! Bit of semi rough but no deep stuff. Definitely getting more consistent and keeping the real bad shots away. I’m driving about 210 on average. The odd one at 230. How course is nowhere near flat and a few of the holes are such that where the ball lands it’s got to run up a slope so you don’t always get a lot of run. A couple of doglegs where you don’t even need a driver off the tee. I think I’m getting consistent enough to get around the green in r3gulation even if i don’t flush it. In a sense my bad shots are getting better. I think I should focus on short game and keeping it in play. I’m sure a better short game would have saved 6 shots today. We are just shy of 6k yards and par 69.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Been out for 18 this evening. Shot 81. No lost balls! Bit of semi rough but no deep stuff. Definitely getting more consistent and keeping the real bad shots away. I’m driving about 210 on average. The odd one at 230. How course is nowhere near flat and a few of the holes are such that where the ball lands it’s got to run up a slope so you don’t always get a lot of run. A couple of doglegs where you don’t even need a driver off the tee. I think I’m getting consistent enough to get around the green in r3gulation even if i don’t flush it. In a sense my bad shots are getting better. I think I should focus on short game and keeping it in play. I’m sure a better short game would have saved 6 shots today. We are just shy of 6k yards and par 69.
Good shooting. More of the same will chip away at that gross score. It takes a lot of practice to get the short really sharp, but it's probably the best way to do it from here. Don't completely neglect the long game though! A couple more GIRs will likely mean a couple of shots less.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Good shooting. More of the same will chip away at that gross score. It takes a lot of practice to get the short really sharp, but it's probably the best way to do it from here. Don't completely neglect the long game though! A couple more GIRs will likely mean a couple of shots less.

just looking at the Garmin stats Fairways6/13 GIR 7/18 and 35 putts.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Sounds like you didn’t have many up and downs then if you had 11 chances but still 35 putts. Maybe need to work on the chipping.
I didn’t, in fact I can’t remember a single one. In fairness though I got a few nasty ones - fluffy rough 8 ft off the green and pin only 6-7 foot on. I still think with chipping and pitching I’m working on technique more than feel. That said I only had one duffer where I just bottled and daren’t accelerate gently through the ball. My long putting was reasonable though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I didn’t, in fact I can’t remember a single one. In fairness though I got a few nasty ones - fluffy rough 8 ft off the green and pin only 6-7 foot on. I still think with chipping and pitching I’m working on technique more than feel. That said I only had one duffer where I just bottled and daren’t accelerate gently through the ball. My long putting was reasonable though.

Short game and putting sound like they need work. 35 putts is at least 3-4 too many and you probably need to be around 30 or less. The better the chip the more up and downs you make and the number of putts come down. Logical. Good shooting though and sounds like you are making progress