Single figures golf and how to get there.

Jason.H

Visit site
I started playing again last August after a 10 year break. I put in a few cards and got 18.6 for my HI.

I went to my pro and have a lesson each month. My handicap hasn’t changed but I unusually score somewhere in the mid 80’s. My aim initially was to regularly shoot 85 which I’m somewhere near. I’m thinking of a target for this year. I’d like to get Dow to single figures, perhaps 12 if it’s a struggle.

Im not terrible at anything now, but not outstanding at anything either. I can drive about 190-210 carry usually, it some fairways and miss some. From 150 yards and in I’ve a chance of hitting the green but again miss some too. If I’m a long way off the pin I might 3 putt. My pitching chipping isn’t bad but from 30 yards it’s probably not that often I get down in 2.

Any tips for getting to single figures. I think my way of practising is pretty rubbish. It usually consists of craship 50 or 100 balls at the range and I hardly practise short game & putting at all!

I started golfing again in November after a 12/13 year break with almost the same handicap as you did. In 5 and a bit months I’ve got to 8.2 and shoot mid 70,s mostly on our par 70. My driver I carry 215 ish, I’m pretty straight, good out of bunkers, pitching and chipping is getting better as is the putting. Long par 4,s into a head wind I hit my best drive then sometimes lay up to between 50/100 yards as I’m pretty good from there. I do have maybe 1 or 2 fat or thin shots per round. The thin ones tend to work out ok but the fat costs a shot in most cases, so for me I’m working on ball striking consistency. Initially I was hoping to get down to single figures by the end of 2022 but maybe 2/3 is possible. Set a bit of practice time for each area of the game, especially you’re weakest areas. Personally I don’t spend much time beating balls on the range I’d rather be chipping, putting or in a bunker.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To play off 8 or 9 200 yards is enough imho
The numbers just dont bear that out though. While there will always be the exceptions, or as mentioned golfers for whom age is shortening them but the fundamental ball striking is still there, 200 yard hitters just dont really get below 18. Your numbers look right on the prediction line from the various analyses - with a total drive of 210-235 range a handicap of 5-10 is predicted, which seems where you are. And you are right in your thinking, getting below 6 would need getting it out another 20 yards or so : 5 or below needing a capability to drive the ball 245-250. (real world average, not just a rare best).

Bobthesock

Visit site
The numbers just dont bear that out though. While there will always be the exceptions, or as mentioned golfers for whom age is shortening them but the fundamental ball striking is still there, 200 yard hitters just dont really get below 18. Your numbers look right on the prediction line from the various analyses - with a total drive of 210-235 range a handicap of 5-10 is predicted, which seems where you are. And you are right in your thinking, getting below 6 would need getting it out another 20 yards or so : 5 or below needing a capability to drive the ball 245-250. (real world average, not just a rare best).
Are you talking about carry or total distance though? What I'm trying to say of you can hit 200+ through the air that's enough. If you are carrying it 175 and bouncing to 200 that's probably not enough.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you talking about carry or total distance though? What I'm trying to say of you can hit 200+ through the air that's enough. If you are carrying it 175 and bouncing to 200 that's probably not enough.
I meant total, as thats usually what people benchmark when they say how far they hit it. A lot of mid teens and up golfers would be shocked I think if they really knew what their average drive was. Quite likely 180 plus 15 or so roll.
But agree, a genuine carry of 200 does take someone into the 7,8,9 range. But the number of golfers in that range also shows how few golfers really achieve an average drive around 220. Even if they think they do, their handicap is more likely an accurate prediction of reality than their impression/ego.

D

Deleted member 1147

Long drives are good if they find the fairway. I’ve known some big hitters lose half a dozen ball in a round.
Hence why earlier in the thread people talked about keeping it in play, and avoiding penalty shots.

Springveldt

Visit site
I meant total, as thats usually what people benchmark when they say how far they hit it. A lot of mid teens and up golfers would be shocked I think if they really knew what their average drive was. Quite likely 180 plus 15 or so roll.
But agree, a genuine carry of 200 does take someone into the 7,8,9 range. But the number of golfers in that range also shows how few golfers really achieve an average drive around 220. Even if they think they do, their handicap is more likely an accurate prediction of reality than their impression/ego.
I think that's were Arccos and Shotscope are really useful, quite a lot of people would be shocked how far their average drive goes as most people remember that really good one they caught just right once per round. There was an interesting thread on Reddit the other day about the USGA "Tee it forward" campaign and about what length of course people should play based off their average drive distance. You had people 20+ handicaps claiming to have average drives in the 270 range. Even had one guy say he was a 34 handicap and averaged 250 off the tee but was a 34 because his irons and chipping sucked.

Some people genuinely have no clue how far they hit it on average. It can be quite sobering the first time you check your GPS tracked yardages.

I'd agree that if you can carry it 200 and keep it straight then you can get to high single figures. To get to low single figures (old Cat 1 region) you probably need to carry it at least 230 or have an out of this world short game.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are there? I have never met even a low single figure golfer who is this short. I'm not saying they don't exist but I suspect they are very rare. Many par 4's will be out of reach in two and some par threes can't be reached in one.
When I started playing golf I played our midweek comp, joining various established groups. Most of them were in their 60s, hit the ball short but played off single figures.
it wasn’t just their short game, but their fairway woods were outstandingly straight ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When I started playing golf I played our midweek comp, joining various established groups. Most of them were in their 60s, hit the ball short but played off single figures.
it wasn’t just their short game, but their fairway woods were outstandingly straight ;)

Old mans' alley

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I know back when I was a consistent 6 handicap if took more than 30 putts in a round it was a bad day with the putter or wedges.

Getting up and down in 2 shots from about 50 yards in most times and most importantly anywhere around the green is a must for a low single figure player.

I used to hit 1000+ balls a week just in short game game practice.

Where I play we are relatively short at about 6000 yards and if you can drive around 240 it is more than enough distance , here it is accuracy that is much more of a premium.

This would put you at the very top of the PGA tour average...

This thread is a great example of why people get frustrated with golf! Its amazing to me how good a standard is achievable...

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I find this thread very reassuring, despite the differences in some opinions.

What i take from it is that I already have all the requisite jigsaw pieces to get me there, I just don't take them all to the course every time i play, which robs me of the consistency necessary to achieve it over the 20 round spread.

A good stretch has taken me to 10.2, but as the good rounds drop off my record I have to climb the hill again!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What i take from it is that I already have all the requisite jigsaw pieces to get me there, I just don't take them all to the course every time i play, which robs me of the consistency necessary to achieve it over the 20 round spread.

A good stretch has taken me to 10.2, but as the good rounds drop off my record I have to climb the hill again!
Yes this exactly.
Nobody has their A game all the time.
So compensation has to happen.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

That's a pretty common with handicap golfers!
One of the joys of the WHS!
I'd suggest you try to forget the older rounds and simply try to beat your last good round. Or at least set (say 3-hole) goals within each round. That can also help you concentrate better, and with less stress, in potentially really good rounds as well as keeping concentration when things have gone a bit pear-shaped.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This thread is a great example of why people get frustrated with golf! Its amazing to me how good a standard is achievable...

Yes. I had many a compliment from a pro about how good my short game was back then pity, I did not have the mid iron club accuracy to go with but there again if I did I would not have needed such a good short game.
I was once accused by one pro I was playing with that I was deliberately going in to greenside bunkers to pick up the side bets.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

IIRC. From 50 yards a scratch player will get up and down 35% of the time and average hitting it to 20ft from the same distance.

It’s been said before, but managing expectations is the place to start. Understand what is a good shot an what’s not. You will take 3 shots to get up and down more times than you will take 2 and 34 putts is normal and absolutely fine.

A 9 handicap player will hit on average
47% of Fairways.
38% of Greens.
Be 30ft away on GiR, 62ft on all approaches.
0.8 birdies
7.3 pars
7.5 bogies
2.6 doubles

You don’t need spectacular golf to get to single figures. You need to keep doubles or worse of your card. Getting as close to the green in 2 shots should be your aim. Pick a suitable target to ensure you don’t shortside yourself.

The easiest way is to find some distance off the tee. Find 20 yards and you’ll drop shots without doing anything else.