Rory McIlroy's mixed form 'getting into his head'

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rory McIlroy admits his failure to back up a low first-round score with a solid second is "getting into his head" as he prepares for this week's Open.Last week, he shot a course-record 64 on day one of the Scottish Openonly to follow it up with a 78.
"I have no problem shooting a low one on Thursdays, so there should be no reason I have any problem shooting a low one on Fridays," he said.
"I need to go out and pretend like it's a Thursday again."
McIlroy also carded a 63 and a 78 at the Memorial earlier this season and suffered a seven-shot swing in another US Tour event.
"I'm putting pressure on myself to back up a low round on Thursday," said the 25-year-old Northern Irishman.
"I just need to try to keep it a little tighter when things aren't 100%."

McIlroy said he felt "unconscious" and "brain dead" after carding an eight-over-par 79 on day one of the Open last year.
He will tee off in the 2014 event in the same group as Japan's Hideki Matsuyama and USA's Jordan Spieth.
The former world number one won the last of his two majors in 2012 and has struggled to add to that tally.
He goes into the Open having ended his engagement to tennis player Caroline Wozniacki in May.
Following the split, he won the PGA Championship at Wentworth but then missed the cut at the Irish Open.
"It just seems I've been caught out this year by a bad stretch of holes every tournament," said McIlroy.

Probably the reason he isn't and won't be the "next Tiger".

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Umm.....Rory McIlroy perhaps? Maybe we should ask him first?

I had typed an answer , but ya know what ? it doesnt matter !! not one bit ..

I could (and probably am)wrong here, but i dont think you understand the point the OP was making, and as i also Dont think i will be meeting him anytime soon to actually ask him that question so i will bow out .. Cheers

Sorry andy didnt want to distract from your OP , yes until he learns to back up the brilliant round , with at least a solid round , it will stop him becoming the next great player ala Tiger

Last edited:

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
With the way his game is theres little chance he will do anything at The Open this year and why the bookies are making him a 14/1 chance is ridiculous, ok he's had a win but that was only cos Tommy Bjorn threw it away.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not a fan but I do feel somewhat sorry for the guy.

He's achieved immense wealth at a very early age for his much vaulted skills. Everyone has raised expectations but he has had some terrible rounds which is perhaps making him doubt himself and wonder if he's operating under false pretensions.

He' doesn't seem to have operated away from his parents and so, unlike many his age, had to fend for himself - it must actually be hard growing up and maturing under these circumstances.