SkySports presenter coverage of US Open

kuchingvet

Visit site
Good finish but for me, probably the least enjoyable coverage of a golf event for a long time. Nick Doherty's verbal overload and repetitive adulation of Rory McIlroy had me reaching for the mute button. Not keen on Andrew Coltard either and would hope for a big improvement in the presentation team for the Open Championship in July. Maybe I am gettintg too old to appreciate the modern day presenters but they sure can't touch the eloquence and wit of presenters like Peter Alliss who could entertain even when the golf was terrible.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good finish but for me, probably the least enjoyable coverage of a golf event for a long time. Nick Doherty's verbal overload and repetitive adulation of Rory McIlroy had me reaching for the mute button. Not keen on Andrew Coltard either and would hope for a big improvement in the presentation team for the Open Championship in July. Maybe I am gettintg too old to appreciate the modern day presenters but they sure can't touch the eloquence and wit of presenters like Peter Alliss who could entertain even when the golf was terrible.
Yes thought Dame Laura and Rich Beem were good but the rest can put me to sleep.

kuchingvet

Visit site
Pleased it's not just me and totally agree with all. What about Henni Koyak, she seems OK ? I see that across the pond they are calling for Paul Azinger to be taken down.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Dame Laura mustn’t have ever hit a bad shot the way she goes on

Nick Dougherty i like

Coulthard can be an absolute misery some days funny the next

Beemer and Radar are great on course personalities

Ewen Murray I could listen to him all day

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Something about HK irritates…no idea what - but something just does.
Hennie is abysmal. Something about her inane chatter makes it seem like she's never watched golf, even though we know that not to be true. Even her timing is poor, constantly talks over the others. I think she tries too hard.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Beemer and Radar are great. Murray, Hennie and Doherty are fairly decent.

Dame Laura and McGinlay are absolutely 🐕 💩.

Ken Brown is the one I miss from the old school. Alliss was terrible, hours of gibberish.

IanMcC

Visit site
I believe they all did a good job, except McGinlay, who's fawning praise of McIlroy, even though he could not sink a putt of any length, was irrational to say the least.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
So agree with this. Sky Sports was obsessed with Tiger but they seem just as bad, if not worse, with McIlroy.
They have to sell the product, unfortunately they are trying to sell it to people who are watching, they are already converted and don't need to be convinced. It also seems at time as if they are talking to me as if I am stupid and can't see with my own eyes nor draw my own conclusions.

kuchingvet

Visit site
They have to sell the product, unfortunately they are trying to sell it to people who are watching, they are already converted and don't need to be convinced. It also seems at time as if they are talking to me as if I am stupid and can't see with my own eyes nor draw my own conclusions.
You are so right and a few of them appear to see themselves as top coaches rather than mediocre ex tour players.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have, possibly, the best solution to this.
Watch it with the sound down.
That way you don't get irritated by meaningless drivel because you don't hear it.
They put enough info on the screen for you to be able to work out what's going on...

sjw

Visit site
Who is the one who, just as everything was quiet and a player is about to start their backswing, would yell something like "one hundred and 67 yards to the pin" ? Scared the life out of me every time

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have, possibly, the best solution to this.
Watch it with the sound down.
That way you don't get irritated by meaningless drivel because you don't hear it.
They put enough info on the screen for you to be able to work out what's going on...
With the tech now we should have the choice of no commentators but still hear the crowd.