Open Coverage Lost To SKY

WinBase

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was quite disgusted to hear that the R&A have sold out all day live coverage to SKY heralding an end to the BBC's live coverage from either next year or the year after, felt betrayed to hear Peter Alliss tell us at the end of this years open something like 'but we will get 2 glorious hours of highlights each night', and pleased to hear Gary Lineker stand up and criticise the R&A as pompous and arrogant. personally I hate Sky for their policy of overcharging for everything while still constantly hitting viewers with adverts. I can easily afford the subscription should I choose to, but cancelled it about 7 years ago so I could at least stand up and be counted for my beliefs rather than just complain and put up with it. Anyone else feel like this or is too obvious a question?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hate Sky as a company but I have it so .... nope, I am glad the Open goes to Sky.

Wish things were different but this is how TV is done now.

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Most weekends I can watch golf, usually on my phone whilst I am supposed to be doing something else :)

I get my moneys worth from Sky for sure, they Golf coverage all year round is good in my opinion. US PGA, european tour, LPGA, Seniors Tour. You can watch a bit of the Europro.

I enjoyed the BBCs coverage again of the open, but pretty confident I can put up with Sky when their turn comes

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have Sky Sports purely for the golf. Probably going to cancel soon as I can't stomach the money given to English football (well their players actually). Paying someone £300k per week sickens me when the country won't properly fund the NHS or education.

i have asked in the past about just getting the channel that the golf is on but they won't do it.

i agree that it was wrong for the R&A to give coverage over to Sky. The number of people watching the Open will plummet and that can't be good for the game.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
What does footballers wages have to do with the NHS or Education?
Do you know how much tax you pay on £300k pw?

Golfers make a pretty steady living as well.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I was quite disgusted to hear that the R&A have sold out all day live coverage to SKY heralding an end to the BBC's live coverage from either next year or the year after, felt betrayed to hear Peter Alliss tell us at the end of this years open something like 'but we will get 2 glorious hours of highlights each night', and pleased to hear Gary Lineker stand up and criticise the R&A as pompous and arrogant. personally I hate Sky for their policy of overcharging for everything while still constantly hitting viewers with adverts. I can easily afford the subscription should I choose to, but cancelled it about 7 years ago so I could at least stand up and be counted for my beliefs rather than just complain and put up with it. Anyone else feel like this or is too obvious a question?

Whilst I really admire someone for standing up for their beliefs, I really do, I think myself that when I'm on my deathbed, I'd probably much rather be looking back and saying 'I really enjoyed watching some of the finest golfers in the world playing a sport I love in the majors and Ryder Cup', rather than saying' oh well, didn't see much golf but at least I got one over on Murdoch'. Even though I was being told to cash out every 15 minutes.

Anyway, now Sky have lost the Chumps League they are doing a 50% off offer on the sports bundle, so you can fill your boots ;)

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We get one more year of virtually uninterrupted coverage on the BBC, but from 2017 it will be all talking heads and endless adverts for online betting companies! :(

DCB

Visit site
Been covered before but, I don't think the R&A sold out. Good old Auntie just wasn't interested in bidding for the Golf. Other than The Open, what other golf does Auntie show live ?

Football highlights on a Saturday night are obviously far more important.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What does footballers wages have to do with the NHS or Education?
No direct connection but a joke that someone who has a little talent for kicking a ball earns in 1 week what a surgeon saving lives on a daily basis earns in a few years.
The only reason this situation exists is the money that TV pays to cover football.

Do you know how much tax you pay on £300k pw?

i can work it out but whatever it is it's not enough!

WinBase

Medal Winner
Visit site
We get one more year of virtually uninterrupted coverage on the BBC, but from 2017 it will be all talking heads and endless adverts for online betting companies! :(

has anyone ever told you how much sense you talk Del?

how any of the other posters can say they are glad its going to Sky and think its going to be either the same or better is beyond me, but it takes all sorts I suppose. Just before I cancelled I was so fed up of adverts and chit chat during supposed 'live coverage' of the US open I timed the amount of live play during the next hour which amounted to 8mins so I switched it off anyway, but all you who have sky already and don't care, all I can say is enjoy

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
No direct connection but a joke that someone who has a little talent for kicking a ball earns in 1 week what a surgeon saving lives on a daily basis earns in a few years.
The only reason this situation exists is the money that TV pays to cover football.

But why are footballers always the ones blamed? American footballers? Golfers? Movie stars. All over paid by that rationale. Will you be boycotting cinemas too?

Back to op. Sky TV has adverts. As does every channel on TV bar BBC. Although even their shows now have ads for other shows on their channels. I'll still happily pay my subscription and for the use I get. Consider it great value.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Surgeons are on a pretty decent wage,more than most.

Why are you happy to watch a guy with a 'little talent' earn a huge amount of money for hitting a little white ball around a field,but not happy if they're kicking a bigger ball?

WinBase

Medal Winner
Visit site

Its all about advertising & corporate profits with the money being taken of the majority & funnelled up to the chosen few. i've no problem with sportsmen making money, or even companies making profits (I run one myself), but its my opinion that these companies seldom give value for money and the 'little man' like us have to either pay for it through the nose or do without so that eventually the ripping off becomes normal. How can having to pay over £100 to take 2 kids to watch a premiership football match on a saturday or having to pay £40 for an 'official' replica shirt that's made in china for a bowl of rice be justified to line some prima donna footballers pockets?, or for the R&A to charge £200 to sit in the stand by the 18th green on sunday like at sandwich - i'm no commie but would like to think i've a sense of what's right and fair and would like to see people vote with their feet and say they aint going to put up with it. rant over - GL

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So, the fact that the BBC were only interested in paying for a highlights package, and not the live coverage. At least Sky gives you the ability to watch live coverage.

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't get all this anti-Sky stuff, BBC only wanted highlights and Sky made a bid, blame the BBC, blame politicians, even blame the R&A if you want, but it makes no sense to me to blame a Sports Channel wanting to cover big sports events, Sky have been in business a long time now and they're not going away.
Golf is a minority sport (not to us) look at the SPOTY result a few years back to see that.
As a Golf fan I'm really not bothered about adverts, watched 4 hours last night, haven't got a clue how many adverts were on or what they were!
The horse has bolted, either get a Sky subscription in 2017 or find a dodgy website showing it or watch the highlights on BBC, easy

WinBase

Medal Winner
Visit site
So, the fact that the BBC were only interested in paying for a highlights package, and not the live coverage. At least Sky gives you the ability to watch live coverage.

have you considered the possibility that SKY can afford to offer more than the BBC and the R&A capitulated because of this and not because the wider coverage of the BBC would have been in the best interests of the game? yes its business, yes that's life and yes that's the way things go sometimes, but it doesn't make it the right thing to do. One day all TV will be SKY and you wont have any option but to watch their adverts and the drivel they often serve up.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking forward to watching the Open on Sky. Coverage is bound to be much better than the BBC has been serving up, despite some adverts.

And no Peter Allis - Hurrah!!! :whoo:

D

Deleted member 16999

Looking forward to watching the Open on Sky. Coverage is bound to be much better than the BBC has been serving up, despite some adverts.

And no Peter Allis - Hurrah!!! :whoo:
I second that👍

D

Deleted member 16999

have you considered the possibility that SKY can afford to offer more than the BBC and the R&A capitulated because of this and not because the wider coverage of the BBC would have been in the best interests of the game? yes its business, yes that's life and yes that's the way things go sometimes, but it doesn't make it the right thing to do. One day all TV will be SKY and you wont have any option but to watch their adverts and the drivel they often serve up.
Have you ever considered the BBC should be privatised and show adverts that create revenue rather than being funded by the tax-payer, maybe that way they could generate the finances to compete with Sky and the likes.