BBC to lose Open!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm glad some people think 50 quid a month is a drop in the Ocean.....

I could afford it - but I can't justify it.
I don't have the time to watch hours of Golf on TV every week - just 4 or 5 times a year.
Most of the rest of the Sky package I can take or leave at will......

The most compelling reason I can't justify Sky is that we have Virgin. We have Virgin because the phone lines around here are so ***** that the best broadband we can get is about as fast as I am typing this....
Paying 40 a month for Virgin just so we can be on the Net doesn't leave much spare to "waste" on Sky....

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not being able to afford it is not a lifestyle choice - there are many people who cannot afford Sky who would love to be able to watch those events.

I agree. Not having the spare cash to afford SKY is not a lifestyle choice for many people, it's a reality of being hard up and not having the means to do much about it.

I happen to like the coverage that the BBC does with the Open and other majors. I hope they keep doing it.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is bad that SKY are taking over basically every sporting event, even though I am a SKY subscriber. I do not think that getting everything from SKY is expensive. I get the complete SKY+ HD package including unlimited high speed broadband, my phone line rental and unlimited evening and weekend calls for £82 a month. I love watching football and without my SKY TV I would be knackered. If I go to the pub to watch footie it would be like when I went to watch the FA cup Semi Final. Got there at 12 and left at 5ish, the girlfriend was with me so I ended up about £40 lighter.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no problem with the BBC Coverage and they used to be world leaders in covering sporting events. What I do have an issue with is the fact that they seem to expect something for nothing. If the BBC showed a degree more commitment to golf in general (bid for some european tour coverage or even show one of the lower tier tours) then they would deserve to show The Open. Instead the BBC only wants the cream whilst Sky pump money into the sport. Look at most sports and you will see that the BBC only want the A1 events and nothing else and if that had been left to continue then the funding would dry up.

The simple fact is that sport needs money to keep going and the BBC cannot provide the cash that is needed. Without Sky you would not enjoy the level of sport that we get in this country. The days of sport on free TV are pretty much numbered and once an event comes of the protected list it will be gone to Sky for good.