BBC to lose Open!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watching the open without getting to listen to Peter Alyss and Wayne GRady will be awful, the things they come out with at times are fantastic. My mate got commentated on by Alyss last year. He had broke his ankle so wen to the Open on crutches. He was going over one of the walkways on them when alyss chirps up with "now thats dedication"

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
A night out these days costs me about £80 including Taxis. A meal with the wife is £60 odd including drinks at a normal restaurant. If I take the kids to the movies I am staring down the barrell of £40. Now imagaine you wanted to go to a football match in the premier league? £40 for the ticket, £4 for a beer and £3 for a pie.

I think £50 a month (full mashings) for my sky package is an absolute bargain! I still don't get how people think £50 a month is expensive.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
A night out these days costs me about £80 including Taxis. A meal with the wife is £60 odd including drinks at a normal restaurant. If I take the kids to the movies I am staring down the barrell of £40. Now imagaine you wanted to go to a football match in the premier league? £40 for the ticket, £4 for a beer and £3 for a pie.

I think £50 a month (full mashings) for my sky package is an absolute bargain! I still don't get how people think £50 a month is expensive.

This.

And really Cam, ONE beer and ONE pie at the football? I think we all know that isn't what happens. :whistle:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
If golf was lost entirely to the 'dish' then there would, I feel, be an even greater decline in numbers taking up the sport... Leading to even more threads imploring the relaxing of the dress code to encourage more into the game :(...

Seriously, it was the rise of TV coverage that dissuaded 'the masses' of the belief that the game was elitest... Take it away from a public service broadcaster [the beeb] and they'll back to thinking its only for those that can afford subscription TV [the toffs]...

Last edited:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
If golf was lost entirely to the 'dish' then there would, I feel, be an even greater decline in numbers taking up the sport... Leading to even more threads imploring the relaxing of the dress code to encourage more into the game :(...

Seriously, it was the rise of TV coverage that dissuaded 'the masses' of the belief that the game was elitest... Take it away from a public service broadcaster [the beeb] and they'll back to thinking its only those that can afford subscription TV [the toffs]...

LOL. What a load of rubbish. (imho, of course :))

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Take it away from a public service broadcaster [the beeb] and they'll back to thinking its only for those that can afford subscription TV [the toffs]...

The most ridiculous thing I have read on here in ages, £40 a month makes someone a toff

'In British English slang, a toff is a mildly derogatory term for someone with an aristocratic background or belonging to the landed gentry, particularly someone who exudes an air of superiority.'

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Please say you are kidding....

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
In this months magazine there is an article about declining participation rates. Getting Golf onto the school curriculum is tough, getting kids outside of school is even more difficult. The BBC has to spend its subscription money to appeal to the masses. Whether we like it or not Golf just doesn't have the necessary numbers participating to justify the expenditure of extensive coverage: which is not cheap in golf. Just consider the logistics required to cover golf meaningfully. The reason Sky can do it is they not only generate significant amounts of money from subscribers but they boost that with advertising revenue. The Premier League is their cash cow, which has enabled the to gradually grow a portfolio of sports. The viewing figures for The Voice, Strictly Come Dancing and Eastenders blows golf coverage out of the water. And that is what the Beeb get judged on: viewing figures. For those saying £50 a month is cheap you are fortunate. I for one cannot justify buying Sky but do agree that their sports coverage is immense. At some point dear old Peter Alliss is going to pop his clogs and when that happens the BBC will lose an icon and IMHO their USP.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Imo it's time to lose the BBC

In this day and age we should be able to have it blocked off so we don't have to pay a license fee and use that money to purhase Tv coverage we want.

Let them advertise and stand on their own, imo the quality of their reportig and programs does not justify a licence fee.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some people talk tosh! Many working people are struggling filling up their cars, paying the energy bills, clothing and feeding the family and some pensioners cannot even keep warm. To suggest that SKY TV is nothing compared to them eating out at a restaurant or attending a football match is cynical. Maybe if they had more kids and were on the Nat King Cole then Sky would be more affordable.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Some people talk tosh! Many working people are struggling filling up their cars, paying the energy bills, clothing and feeding the family and some pensioners cannot even keep warm. To suggest that SKY TV is nothing compared to them eating out at a restaurant or attending a football match is cynical. Maybe if they had more kids and were on the Nat King Cole then Sky would be more affordable.
I was comparing the cost to things that most people do on a monthly basis. I have 2 kids and sky plus helps with movies etc. i think having sky saves me money because I can choose to stay in and watch sport/movies/documentaries. I wouldn't have any objection to a company with a dedicated sports broadcasting section to air the Open.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The BBC don't care about sport. They' let the Grand National go so yet another "jewel" gone. I think to be honest it isn't the end of the world if it does go and personally I think initially it'll go the same way as the masters the other year where Sky will have two days and BBC two days of live coverage. Its then that Sky will take over.

It's about choices. If you know the football and the Open are on Sky and you don't want to buy a dish, or can't afford it then its a lifestyle choice you make based on your circumstances and decision on what to watch. I don't really care where its on as long as its on somewhere

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think the BBC is brilliant.

They have a limited amount of income from the licence fee and must use this for all viewers tastes, not just sports. So that's documentaries, soaps, reality, news, drama, current affairs, etc, etc. What do Sky actually produce?

I remember a time when Murduch used to complain vigourously that the BBC used its might to steamroll the competition, this now seems to be Sky's mode of operation and who is to stop them?

They buy up everything so that the only way you can see sport is to pay their ludicrously high subscriptions. £50 a month cheap? thats £600 a year. And where does a good percentage of this money go? Obviously into the pockets of Sky Directors and shareholders but also to overpaid prima donna sports stars. It should not cost this much to watch a sporting event that only requires a few outside broadcast cameras, and don't mention all the innovatrions that Sky has brought like HD and in depth analysis etc, it's all floss, all we need is the action.

I hate Sky and will never, that's NEVER, subscribe, even if it means I never see sport on TV again.

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
I'm with you crow - Sky are not interested in providing you with anything decent other than what they can buy from others and fleece you for. £600 a year that's the majority of my membership fees. They rely on everyone following like sheep to their subscription service.

If you don't watch their revenue goes down both from subscriptions and advertising - then the free to air channels may have a chance.

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
It's about choices. If you know the football and the Open are on Sky and you don't want to buy a dish, or can't afford it then its a lifestyle choice you make based on your circumstances and decision on what to watch. I don't really care where its on as long as its on somewhere

Not being able to afford it is not a lifestyle choice - there are many people who cannot afford Sky who would love to be able to watch those events.