Open Coverage Lost To SKY

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just before I cancelled I was so fed up of adverts and chit chat during supposed 'live coverage' of the US open I timed the amount of live play during the next hour which amounted to 8mins so I switched it off anyway, but all you who have sky already and don't care, all I can say is enjoy

But Sky had no control over the US broadcast, they at least talked golf when the US adverts were on. BBC had no interest in bidding again. Sky will do the Open proud, just hope they have their rubber ducks at the ready.:thup:

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
She who must be obeyed refuses to entertain having the Sky Sports package so I'll just have to make do with the BBC's two hour highlights programme instead. Never mind ... life's a bitch and then you die.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sky is light years ahead of BBC coverage, always make the PGA tour events enjoyable to watch. I can put up with a few minutes an hour of adverts to go do something else.

WinBase

Medal Winner
Visit site
Have you ever considered the BBC should be privatised and show adverts that create revenue rather than being funded by the tax-payer, maybe that way they could generate the finances to compete with Sky and the likes.

Of course, but I want to watch golf or any other show without having to suffer the same adverts for Wonga, cash converters or betfred every 5 minutes, and the bigger the event the more (and longer) the ad breaks are. I don't personally consider SKY to be any better than the BBC commentators, and while I agree Peter Aliss can be a tad 'Marmite' he says it from the heart. while not perfect we still have to pay for the Beeb by law, so I want things in there to my tastes as everyone does, and not for SKY to cherry pick popular events and sports so they can sell more advertising.

D

Deleted member 16999

Of course, but I want to watch golf or any other show without having to suffer the same adverts for Wonga, cash converters or betfred every 5 minutes, and the bigger the event the more (and longer) the ad breaks are. I don't personally consider SKY to be any better than the BBC commentators, and while I agree Peter Aliss can be a tad 'Marmite' he says it from the heart. while not perfect we still have to pay for the Beeb by law, so I want things in there to my tastes as everyone does, and not for SKY to cherry pick popular events and sports so they can sell more advertising.
You/we get very little choice on what BBC shows, the viewing figures for Golf is miniscule compared to what the majority of BBC viewers want to see, in terms of the BBC we're a minority.
You get the chance to see Golf on the BBC maybe 4-5 times a year, on Sky it's 4-5 times a week. I would disagree Sky cherry picks popular events, I woukd say they want everything!

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
while not perfect we still have to pay for the Beeb by law, so I want things in there to my tastes as everyone does, and not for SKY to cherry pick popular events and sports so they can sell more advertising.

You should take this up with your local government official as you are quite correct you are forced to pay for the BBC and therefore it should cater to your taste. I agree with other posters here who want the licence fee abolished because I can honestly say I have not watched anything on the BBC for a good number of years except for The Open.

What you havent acknowledged is the fact the BBC refused to go above £10 million a year, yet it pays £240 million a year for highlights of the premier league, thats no live games just highlights shown at 10:30pm. The BBC were offered to match Sky's £15million but declined. Sky in all fairness to them do not cherry pick events especially when it comes to golf, they cover every single event that is on the either of the main tours, their commitment to golf is outstanding. I always look at Cricket and anyone who has anything to do with Cricket at a high level is always praising Sky and the impact it has had on the game, I feel as though it has had a similar effect on Golf.

As you have stated if you are a businessman, if you have two clients clamouring for your services, one of which you deal with on the 51 other weeks of the year and willing to pay you 33% more than an other client who you deal with once a year which one would you choose?

D

Deleted member 16999

You should take this up with your local government official as you are quite correct you are forced to pay for the BBC and therefore it should cater to your taste. I agree with other posters here who want the licence fee abolished because I can honestly say I have not watched anything on the BBC for a good number of years except for The Open.

What you havent acknowledged is the fact the BBC refused to go above £10 million a year, yet it pays £240 million a year for highlights of the premier league, thats no live games just highlights shown at 10:30pm. The BBC were offered to match Sky's £15million but declined. Sky in all fairness to them do not cherry pick events especially when it comes to golf, they cover every single event that is on the either of the main tours, their commitment to golf is outstanding. I always look at Cricket and anyone who has anything to do with Cricket at a high level is always praising Sky and the impact it has had on the game, I feel as though it has had a similar effect on Golf.

As you have stated if you are a businessman, if you have two clients clamouring for your services, one of which you deal with on the 51 other weeks of the year and willing to pay you 33% more than an other client who you deal with once a year which one would you choose?
Great post.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But Sky had no control over the US broadcast, they at least talked golf when the US adverts were on. BBC had no interest in bidding again. Sky will do the Open proud, just hope they have their rubber ducks at the ready.:thup:

Spot on. Sky have no control, not only in the majors from the US but the week to week tour events. They can only show what the network supplies and US TV is famous for the amount of commercial breaks and so Sky usually fill every other break. However, and it's a big point, they are being limited to five minutes per hour in their Sky Coverage so hardly going to be overly obtrusive.

WinBase

Medal Winner
Visit site

Thanks for the comments and while I can see that plenty of what you say is factually correct, I don't want to keep dancing round the same points, suffice to say that SKY are only involved in *your* favourite sports for one reason and that's not for the betterment of the sport, its to put money in the pockets of news international shareholders, and once it doesn't do that it will be dropped like the proverbial hot potato, whereas sports governing bodies should have the development of their sport as a first priority and I don't see either football or golf doing that. Taking the best monetary deal can be ok in some situations if that leads to more grass roots investment for the people that paid in, but especially in the case of football its akin to selling your soul to the devil and paying for the new Bentleys for a select few, for some grubby agent to get his snout in the trough or to buy foreign players at ridiculous fees. Ok this may seem a tad idealistic and in todays money orientated world & out of step, but as far as my customers go I have many long standing ones that sometimes cause me a lot of grief and who pay me less than some of the new ones do, but I don't bin and forget them just coz they aint as profitable as they once were, they got me where I am today. Anyway praise to the god of money lol, but I don't worship at that altar, i've as much money as I need and dance to a different tune - GL and thanks again.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Y
Have you ever considered the BBC should be privatised and show adverts that create revenue rather than being funded by the tax-payer, maybe that way they could generate the finances to compete with Sky and the likes.
I personally think that Sky have a bit of a cheek! A very expensive subscription service where you have to suffer minutes at a time of inane adverts for bookmakers! They just strike me as being excessively greedy for profits! :mmm:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Y
I personally think that Sky have a bit of a cheek! A very expensive subscription service where you have to suffer minutes at a time of inane adverts for bookmakers! They just strike me as being excessively greedy for profits! :mmm:
So how do you suggest they make money, let companies advertise for free? They also put sport back in to the community, have google of Sky Academy, I don't see any other broadcaster doing this and please remember the R&A and other governing bodies could always refuse to sell to them or Government legislation could stop it, all to easy too blame Sky, maybe we should blame the motor industry for speeding?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So how do you suggest they make money, let companies advertise for free? They also put sport back in to the community, have google of Sky Academy, I don't see any other broadcaster doing this and please remember the R&A and other governing bodies could always refuse to sell to them or Government legislation could stop it, all to easy too blame Sky, maybe we should blame the motor industry for speeding?
As far as I am concerned, they have hijacked all the sport that used to be shown on terrestrial television and sell it back to us at an extortionate price! And we have to suffer annoying ads on top of that! Other commercial stations use their ad revenue to provide free TV. Sky is trying to have its cake and eat it! :(

Last edited:

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anytime I've watched golf on sky it's been an eye scratching and short lived experience. Very disappointed the beeb have thrown away their Open coverage, as with all the other tourneys they used to cover too. Sad times. People waste far too much time in front of the box these days anyway...

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As much as I don't like Lineker i do agree with his criticism of the R&A selling the rights to Sky. I have Sky and will watch it and Im sure the coverage will be excellent. However, Dawson said that one event being covered by Sky for four days is not going affect participation in the sport. I think he's wrong.This is not just any old event, this is the BiGGEST, most famous and acclaimed golf tournament in the world and is open to professionals and amateurs worldwide to try and qualify for and watched by millions around the world.For the sake of a few million quid, which will help to fund the R&A's jollies around the world and a few more nice lunches downed with odd bottle of Bollinger, it may well have a longer lasting effect on the sport in the long term.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

What about the BBC Get Inspired programme, they push and promote a lot of activities in all areas aimed at local communities and grassroots?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/thingstodo/category/Golf?cache=disable