Open Coverage Lost To SKY

D

Deleted member 1418

Given the fiasco of the BBC's live coverage of the final days play of The Open then I am pleased they did lose the live rights - total shambles and a great indication of where their priorities are. Sky coverage will be so much more professional.

D

Deleted member 15344

again your facts are wrong,the latest study from APRIL this year shows that the participation in golf has been steady now for the past few years and a downward trend is not anticipated,and to be honest who cares how many play the game,good clubs stay open quick buck clubs shut down .

May I suggest you read my post again

Nowhere did I say that paricipation in golf isn't on the decline

D

Deleted member 15344

Given the fiasco of the BBC's live coverage of the final days play of The Open then I am pleased they did lose the live rights - total shambles and a great indication of where their priorities are. Sky coverage will be so much more professional.

Well their priorities will always be to their license fee payers as opposed to specific people

Still more than 4.3 mil watched on the Monday afternoon won't get that many on Sky even if they broadcast at 7 in the morning

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well their priorities will always be to their license fee payers as opposed to specific people

Still more than 4.3 mil watched on the Monday afternoon won't get that many on Sky even if they broadcast at 7 in the morning

Ah cool, I've been googling trying to find the ratings figures but can only find those for US TV. Mind sharing your link for that figure?

D

Deleted member 15344

Ah cool, I've been googling trying to find the ratings figures but can only find those for US TV. Mind sharing your link for that figure?

Someone posted it on the thread where this was discussed previously - also posted the 5.3 mil from the McIlroy Hoylake Sunday

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Someone posted it on the thread where this was discussed previously - also posted the 5.3 mil from the McIlroy Hoylake Sunday

Yeah, someone posted a number but without a link or any reference and it was lower than the number you just quoted.

Their figure might be correct, and your memory was not far wrong, but it could also be complete nonsense. I'd be interested in seeing the official figures if and when they are available.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Some interesting, subjective, points and opinions mixed in with some decent facts too.

For what its worth, I prefer Sky's coverage and the majority of their commentators in preference to what the BBC have. I also prefer Sky's shot centre fillers to the BBC's Ken Brown type fillers, again just personal preference. I also feel that as a dedicated channel, as opposed to BBC having to fit it around a reasonably balanced schedule that includes non-golf items, they are way ahead of the Beeb. I don't like all the ads, although in truth I switch off from the majority, but as watching golf isn't complicated plot I don't watch it that avidly, and will often have a book/laptop/mag on the go at the same time as the golf is on.

As to the issue of cost, really just how many channels does your Sky subscription buy compared to your BBC 'subscription?'

I can understand the stance in the OP, and I did the same with cricket and Sky 'x' years ago but succumbed after a couple of years because I love cricket. And on seeing how much coverage there was, and the added things like Hawkeye etc I rapidly decided Sky was good for the sport... in my humble opinion.

And from 2017 the R&A will have an extra £5mill to plough back into the sport. Maybe we don't want the extra money going into the game.;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah, someone posted a number but without a link or any reference and it was lower than the number you just quoted.

Their figure might be correct, and your memory was not far wrong, but it could also be complete nonsense. I'd be interested in seeing the official figures if and when they are available.

The Barb normally do them three weeks after the week you want to look at but something about BBC2 not fully looked at for some reason when looking at Barb because it was split across both BBC1 and 2

The guy on the radio was talking about Sunday afternoon having 4.1 mil peak across all platforms on the Sunday when they were talking about it Monday on 5 live

It's only natural that the figures on BBC will be higher because everyone has BBC and casual viewers will flick over for an hour or so

For golfers the sky coverage will be perfect ( bar the split opinions on the commentators and guff etc ) but they will have wall to wall coverage and we will be able to watch it all day long.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Barb normally do them three weeks after the week you want to look at but something about BBC2 not fully looked at for some reason when looking at Barb because it was split across both BBC1 and 2

The guy on the radio was talking about Sunday afternoon having 4.1 mil peak across all platforms on the Sunday when they were talking about it Monday on 5 live

It's only natural that the figures on BBC will be higher because everyone has BBC and casual viewers will flick over for an hour or so

For golfers the sky coverage will be perfect ( bar the split opinions on the commentators and guff etc ) but they will have wall to wall coverage and we will be able to watch it all day long.

So, in summary, the viewing figures you are authoritatively using to back up your argument haven't actually been released yet?

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
May I suggest you read my post again

Nowhere did I say that paricipation in golf isn't on the decline

you stated that in your opinion the bbc coverage had no bearing on the DECLINE in participation in golf,i stated your facts were incorrect according to the R&A latest study the figures show the levelling off of people playing golf and has done for a number of years,again i say if a club is good enough it will thrive if not they go bust, the players find another place to play.

D

Deleted member 15344

So, in summary, the viewing figures you are authoritatively using to back up your argument haven't actually been released yet?

The viewing figures I used for this year were mentioned by someone else - it's up to you if you want to believe them or not

The viewing figures for BBC and Sky over the years for their relative golf programs have been published many times before

I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here

More will watch on BBC and more have watched it previously on BBC but that's because more people in the country have access to BBC

Less people will watch The Open from 2017 - that too me isn't a good thing for the game of golf. Golfers will continue to watch the game but I believe it will lose a good few million of casual viewers - I'm sure either way in 2017 when we see how many with watch the Open but if it's along the lines of how many watch now - if taking the Ryder Cup as an example it's about 1 million - that's not great for the game.

D

Deleted member 15344

you stated that in your opinion the bbc coverage had no bearing on the DECLINE in participation in golf,i stated your facts were incorrect according to the R&A latest study the figures show the levelling off of people playing golf and has done for a number of years,again i say if a club is good enough it will thrive if not they go bust, the players find another place to play.

I stated that IMO the coverage on the BBC isn't a reason for the decline in participation in golf - so which fact that I'm saying are you saying is incorrect ?!

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The viewing figures I used for this year were mentioned by someone else - it's up to you if you want to believe them or not

The viewing figures for BBC and Sky over the years for their relative golf programs have been published many times before

More will watch on BBC and more have watched it previously on BBC but that's because more people in the country have access to BBC

Less people will watch The Open from 2017 - that too me isn't a good thing for the game of golf. Golfers will continue to watch the game but I believe it will lose a good few million of casual viewers - I'm sure either way in 2017 when we see how many with watch the Open but if it's along the lines of how many watch now - if taking the Ryder Cup as an example it's about 1 million - that's not great for the game.

i understand what your saying,i call it the Wimbledon syndrome,soon as it comes on tv the parks are full of unfit fat people sweating and wheezing on the tennis courts,same as golf,the open comes on muni's are packed out,driving ranges full of hackers but they are just a flash in the pan,golf has a hard core following,dads take their kids,lads at work takes their work mates etc etc,most join a society with mates then progress to club golf that is how 90% on these pages probably started,you cant make someone play golf and to be honest with you showing one tournament per year isnt going to fill the coffers of golf clubs,is it.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

I don't think anyone is disputing that less people will watch on Sky, that's a simple inference from the number of people with access to each channel.

That's not my gripe. I just wish that if you must stubbornly argue everyone on the forum to a standstill you could either restrict yourself to facts or, if you are making something up, caveat your figures with "I imagine", "I guess", "I assume" or "A bloke in the pub said" rather than making authoritative statements.

BTW, Ryder cup viewers on Sky peaked at 1.7 million for Gleneagles and 2.2 million for Medinah. If the following link is to be believed...

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/ratings/ryder-cup-holes-17m-for-sky-sports/5078040.article

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't think anyone is disputing that less people will watch on Sky, that's a simple inference from the number of people with access to each channel.

That's not my gripe. I just wish that if you must stubbornly argue everyone on the forum to a standstill you could either restrict yourself to facts or, if you are making something up, caveat your figures with "I imagine", "I guess", "I assume" or "A bloke in the pub said" rather than making authoritative statements.

BTW, Ryder cup viewers on Sky peaked at 1.7 million for Gleneagles and 2.2 million for Medinah. If the following link is to be believed...

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/ratings/ryder-cup-holes-17m-for-sky-sports/5078040.article

How you take my posts is up to you - we have had this discussion before - I just made the point that IMO less people will watch Golf when its all on Sky - I used figures previously quoted on here and ones I have read elsewhere -I'll just say it now - I'm just posting my opinion when I post - I would hope I don't have to give a statement to say that with every post. If I'm posting a fact then I'll say it's a fact I posting and hope that clears it up for you :thup:

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stated that IMO the coverage on the BBC isn't a reason for the decline in participation in golf - so which fact that I'm saying are you saying is incorrect ?!

you keep stating the decline in people playing golf,the facts are there isnt a decline now and hasn't been for the past few years

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How you take my posts is up to you - we have had this discussion before - I just made the point that IMO less people will watch Golf when its all on Sky - I used figures previously quoted on here and ones I have read elsewhere -I'll just say it now - I'm just posting my opinion when I post - I would hope I don't have to give a statement to say that with every post. If I'm posting a fact then I'll say it's a fact I posting and hope that clears it up for you :thup:

i agree with you on the figures published for the OPEN i also read on the Tuesday after it ended that the max number viewing was 4.2m and a low of 1.1m,i posted on here that for the MAJOR golf competition aired on terrestrial tv this was poor,but we have to face facts golf is a minority sport.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yeah, thing is that doesn't really work for everything does it? Not much "opinion" implied when you start presenting figures.

Anyway, I've made my point. I shan't bother you again.