Rory doesn’t care? Tiger finished?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ryder cup format may suit him better as he can play with the hand brake off and not have to worry about trying to put 4 rounds together.

D

Deleted member 15344

Is the great Rory un-droppable from the RC team?
Ok, so he won the Arnold Palmer & T5 at the Masters, but other than that he has struggled. Certainly a shadow of his results a few years back.

McIlroy will gain enough points to qualify - his tournament record this year isn’t as bad as people make out - he has had a win , plus a number of top 5 and top tens a few mid tables and a couple of missed cuts

No one is lighting up the golfing world week in week out right now. McIlroy will be fine.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Ryder cup format may suit him better as he can play with the hand brake off and not have to worry about trying to put 4 rounds together.

Still needs to hole putts and it's quite clear that he's still struggling severely with that area of his game.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Still needs to hole putts and it's quite clear that he's still struggling severely with that area of his game.

Rorys putting stats in 2018 are better than DJ, JT, Woods, Spieth, Stenson, Reed and Fowler but don't let facts get in the way of a good cliche

D

Deleted member 15344

Stats hide a lot of things.

Guy is guff with a putter. Showed it again last night.

Stats also show a lot of things especially in golf and the stats in regards McIlroys putting show that he isn’t “guff” with a putter -

McIlroy didn’t miss the cut because of his putting - he missed because of his tee shots , 4 of them in the water , plenty into the rough and sand. He spent most of the Comp scrambling for pars.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Stats also show a lot of things especially in golf and the stats in regards McIlroys putting show that he isn’t “guff” with a putter -

McIlroy didn’t miss the cut because of his putting - he missed because of his tee shots , 4 of them in the water , plenty into the rough and sand. He spent most of the Comp scrambling for pars.

This summer the Ryder cup goes to the last hole in the last match. Europe has a tricky 4 footer. Is Rory your first pick?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
What sort of stupid scenario is that ? - why does every time someone make a relevant point you need to post something ridiculous like that. Its tedious now.

McIlroy has knocked in plenty putts in pressure situations - people don’t have to justify an opinion by answering ridiculous made up scenarios on maybes and what ifs.

Haha. Sorry Phil just because a point is your opinion. It doesn’t mean it’s relevant.

All over this forum we see you mock sports people that you obviously don’t like, yet someone criticises someone you like and all of a sudden you get on your high horse and don your suit of armour to defend them.

My point was clear, in a make or break scenario I wouldn’t choose Rory. You chose to moan instead of say yes you’d pick him first.

For the record what I asked was known as an hypothetical question.....y

***edit***

If you’re gonna throw your toys out the pram. At least stand by them and don’t worry about your Halo slipping.....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Haha. Sorry Phil just because a point is your opinion. It doesn’t mean it’s relevant.

All over this forum we see you mock sports people that you obviously don’t like, yet someone criticises someone you like and all of a sudden you get on your high horse and don your suit of armour to defend them.

My point was clear, in a make or break scenario I wouldn’t choose Rory. You chose to moan instead of say yes you’d pick him first.

For the record what I asked was known as an hypothetical question.....

You are full of hypothetical situations - no one has said McIlroy is the best putter on tour so why would a pressure situation hypotheticall situation matter ?!? McIlory has sunk pressure putts before just as he has missed them - just like everyone tour pro who has ever played before. No one has suggested he is the pro to go to in a make or break situation.

Poor putters don’t win majors , poor putters don’t win what he has done - the stats show he isn’t a poor putter , no one has said he is the best. You can ask any hypothetical situation you want - it won’t change that

virgilvdk

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
McIlroy will gain enough points to qualify - his tournament record this year isn’t as bad as people make out - he has had a win , plus a number of top 5 and top tens a few mid tables and a couple of missed cuts

No one is lighting up the golfing world week in week out right now. McIlroy will be fine.

1 win and 3 top five and no top 10s. 3 missed cuts and a few meh finishes.

So not so bad, but not great either

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
You are full of hypothetical situations - no one has said McIlroy is the best putter on tour so why would a pressure situation hypotheticall situation matter ?!? McIlory has sunk pressure putts before just as he has missed them - just like everyone tour pro who has ever played before. No one has suggested he is the pro to go to in a make or break situation.

Poor putters don’t win majors , poor putters don’t win what he has done - the stats show he isn’t a poor putter , no one has said he is the best. You can ask any hypothetical situation you want - it won’t change that

Oh look, you’re repeating the same stuff over. That’ll work and change my opinion.....

Forget hypothetical. When I watch the pga, that golf on sky you always tell us you don’t watch.......I always feel he is more likely to miss a tricky short one than others. As do lots of other people.

Imo his putting stats aren’t that bad beciase he’s a good lad putter, much like Westwood. Hit loads of greens when playing well, scare the hole and tap in, but when he’s struggling and has a a round leaving him self iffy putts, he generally misses more that he holes.

He has days when it’s on and that’s generally when he wins. He’s a great player when on it, but his bad days which are increasingly frequent often stem from putting. The rest of the game may fall away and look equally bad by the end of 18.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Rory will have plenty more wins in his career(probably a few more majors aswell).
But i don’t think he’s going to be as successful as was anticipated when he was younger.
Quite a few players are as good even when Rory is on it.
Not sure why people get so defensive if anyone says anything negative about Rory.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Rory will have plenty more wins in his career(probably a few more majors aswell).
But i don’t think he’s going to be as successful as was anticipated when he was younger.
Quite a few players are as good even when Rory is on it.
Not sure why people get so defensive if anyone says anything negative about Rory.

Spot on imo.

He was was the first young gun to hit the heights but many have joined him. I believe that Day and Thomas are the best two now. Day looks to have come through his tough (personal) year. And Thomas seems to have the grit/tenacity of Spieth with a little more talent.

I think Fowler could be the next Sergio (best player not to win a major) as he seems to have a round destroying double in him when the pressure rises.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Spot on imo.

He was was the first young gun to hit the heights but many have joined him. I believe that Day and Thomas are the best two now. Day looks to have come through his tough (personal) year. And Thomas seems to have the grit/tenacity of Spieth with a little more talent.

I think Fowler could be the next Sergio (best player not to win a major) as he seems to have a round destroying double in him when the pressure rises.

Sergio won the masters😁

Personally I think Fowler will win a major.
I can also see Reed being in contention & winning more majors.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

For the record what I asked was known as an hypothetical question.....y

***edit***

If you’re gonna throw your toys out the pram. At least stand by them and don’t worry about your Halo slipping.....

What a wonderful post.

The exact reason I have him on block. Sadly when someone else quotes him I am reminded of how much baloney one man can spout.

With regards to your hypothetical question, Rory wouldn't be in my top 11 of 12 Ryder Cup players to hit that putt, purely based on what I have witnessed from him over the last few seasons.

D

Deleted member 15344

Oh look, you’re repeating the same stuff over. That’ll work and change my opinion.....

Forget hypothetical. When I watch the pga, that golf on sky you always tell us you don’t watch.......I always feel he is more likely to miss a tricky short one than others. As do lots of other people.

Imo his putting stats aren’t that bad beciase he’s a good lad putter, much like Westwood. Hit loads of greens when playing well, scare the hole and tap in, but when he’s struggling and has a a round leaving him self iffy putts, he generally misses more that he holes.

He has days when it’s on and that’s generally when he wins. He’s a great player when on it, but his bad days which are increasingly frequent often stem from putting. The rest of the game may fall away and look equally bad by the end of 18.

Where did I say I was trying to change your opinion ?

Someone who when Rory misses a cut suddenly appears on the forum to start again calling him a poor putter , he is always remarkably quiet when he was winning or putting well - another poster suggests that the stats show that Rory isn’t that bad a putter ( not suggesting he is the best etc etc ) with the normal response of dismissing the stats. Your response to people suggesting that Rory isn’t that bad a putter is to bring a hypothetical situation or make or break putt for a massive win - it’s not a situation that matches what was being said - no one suggests that if you want a make or break situation putter then Rory is our man so what was the point in it ? If people were suggesting that McIlroy is the go to guy then your “hypothetical situation” would carry more meaning.

But ultimately - when it’s comes to the big occasions - Majors , Ryder Cups - Rory more times that not doesn’t go into hiding , he has hit shots in plenty pressure situations including small or big putts , can he miss them ? Yep , can anyone get them all ? Nope. The one constant that people have already said about Rory ( well apart from Craw ) is that Rory is streaky - he can destroy fields in all areas when he clicks and when he isn’t on form he just doesn’t play well. But generic statements like “guy is guff with a putter “ are just that - baseless generic statements because it’s quite clear if you have watched Rory over the years he has shown on many occasions that he can putt and he can putt very well - Bay Hill perfect example best putter by a mile over that Comp.

But then that’s golf - Spieth one day is the best putter next can’t hole a thing , Snedeker is another - putting is massively about confidence and form - right now Day is the best putter in the world by a mile - that can be seen when watching him and also by his stats

So to answer your question - if a 4ft was required to win the Ryder Cup I was expect any of the 12 to be able to sink it but stronger people have collapsed under that pressure and it would be down to how those 12 are playing over the three days - Rory playing well and he goes out first because that way you know he will be a match that counts