Rory doesn’t care? Tiger finished?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Any one notice that during last nights coverage, they kept showing Rory on the range, Rory hugging Michelson, Rory laughing with his caddy, all while not showing the actual golf?

No, thought not, but it is the case.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
In your opinion.

The record books tell a different story.
And if you think majors dont count, then you are at odds with the vast majority of the golfing world.

The record books don't tell a different story at all. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Majors definitely do count. You're now just inventing things. Jack wouldn't have won anywhere near as many in a more competitive era of golf.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The record books don't tell a different story at all. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Majors definitely do count. You're now just inventing things. Jack wouldn't have won anywhere near as many in a more competitive era of golf.

Were you around in Jack's era ??

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Were you around in Jack's era ??

Nope, but there are plenty of records that cover it in great detail. If you're going to play the "you didn't see it live" card, then I'll just notch it up as the usual old-timers argument where they're determined the old days were better.

What next? Football was better "back in 't day?"...

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
This is a completely pointless argument.

It is impossible to compare different eras. You could argue that Tiger wouldn't have won as much in Jack's era playing with old technology.

The fact is we can never know because by definition different era cannot play each other in their prime with the same equipment.

Can't we just say that Tiger is the best in his era, Jack the best in his and Jones the best back when.

Why do we have to get heated abou the greatest ever when we can't possibly know

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can't we get some sort of computer simulation ala Rocky VI which inspires Jack to come out of retirement and him and Tiger go toe to toe down the stretch at the Masters for the winner takes all GOAT status?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm not inventing anything.
It's you that is giving your opinion as a fact.

I believe Jack Nicklaus is the best golfer and the records agree.

Records prove nothing as they aren't in similar era. Cling to your memories if you like, it's clear who was the better player to anyone with an ounce of objectivity. Nostalgia is truly an opiate in the mind of many.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Records prove nothing as they aren't in similar era. Cling to your memories if you like, it's clear who was the better player to anyone with an ounce of objectivity. Nostalgia is truly an opiate in the mind of many.

As we are not going to agree on this can we at least agree tha Nicklaus is the most successful golfer?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Nope, but there are plenty of records that cover it in great detail. If you're going to play the "you didn't see it live" card, then I'll just notch it up as the usual old-timers argument where they're determined the old days were better.

What next? Football was better "back in 't day?"...

I'm a huge Tiger fan but not a deluded one. The fact that you can't open your mind up to someone that the records books states is better than him tells us you're deluded. He is the greatest thing that ever happened to the game, unquestionably yet you insist that his era was more competitive than Jack's is further proof of delusion parties you weren't around when Jack was playing.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

How can you say objectively when you admitted never having seen Jack play?

This is why it's impossible to have this argument, Bobby Jones retired in his 20s, Ben Hogan was in a car crash etc

Also don't forget players from a long time ago would have had to get a boat to play in other countries to their chances of winning abroad was limited to how often they could actually go abroad.

Harry Vardon won the Open 6 times and US Open once. But he only went to America 3 times, winning the US Open once and 2nd twice. He also suffered from TB, and popularised the most used golf grip in modern golf.

I think he has a claim as the GOAT. But it is impossible to compare different eras

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Woods did it all at a time of much more competitive golf....

I disagree with this! He was certainly, and may still be, 'the standout golfer of his time'! But, pretty much by definition, that also suggests that no-one else was competitive!

Now, consider the Nicklaus/Watson/Player/Palmer era. All of them, and a few others, were 'competitive'! but none could be defined as athletes, nor did any of them dominant or change the game in the same/equivalent way that Tiger did!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I disagree with this! He was certainly, and may still be, 'the standout golfer of his time'! But, pretty much by definition, that also suggests that no-one else was competitive!

Now, consider the Nicklaus/Watson/Player/Palmer era. All of them, and a few others, were 'competitive'! but none could be defined as athletes, nor did any of them dominant or change the game in the same/equivalent way that Tiger did!

Depends what you mean by change the game, Player (definitely an athlete and piorneed the fitness side) made the game global and to this day I believe is the most travelled athlete of all time.

Palmer was the first celebrity golfer, on the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1960 and named sportsman of the year, he created huge interest in the sport.

Nicklaus, and especially the Nicklaus/Palmer partnership made golf a mainstream televised sport and it meant there was a hell of a lot more money in the game.

Yes Woods changed the sport, but without those before him he wouldn't have been in the place to do it. Standing on the shoulders of giants is an apt phrase

D

Deleted member 15344

And there was me thinking the poor play which has cost him today has come from the tee - missed loads of fairways as well as hitting the water twice from the tee.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is the great Rory un-droppable from the RC team?
Ok, so he won the Arnold Palmer & T5 at the Masters, but other than that he has struggled. Certainly a shadow of his results a few years back.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Is the great Rory un-droppable from the RC team?
Ok, so he won the Arnold Palmer & T5 at the Masters, but other than that he has struggled. Certainly a shadow of his results a few years back.

Can’t see him needing a captains pick.

But I doubt the US team would fear playing against him.