Rory doesn’t care? Tiger finished?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sergio won the masters

Personally I think Fowler will win a major.
I can also see Reed being in contention & winning more majors.

I mean he could be the player constantly referred to as the best not to win one. As Sergio was for years. he has the ability to win any tournament but seems to have little blow ups when it counts. More often than the others have.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Where did I say I was trying to change your opinion ?

Someone who when Rory misses a cut suddenly appears on the forum to start again calling him a poor putter , he is always remarkably quiet when he was winning or putting well - another poster suggests that the stats show that Rory isn’t that bad a putter ( not suggesting he is the best etc etc ) with the normal response of dismissing the stats. Your response to people suggesting that Rory isn’t that bad a putter is to bring a hypothetical situation or make or break putt for a massive win - it’s not a situation that matches what was being said - no one suggests that if you want a make or break situation putter then Rory is our man so what was the point in it ? If people were suggesting that McIlroy is the go to guy then your “hypothetical situation” would carry more meaning.

But ultimately - when it’s comes to the big occasions - Majors , Ryder Cups - Rory more times that not doesn’t go into hiding , he has hit shots in plenty pressure situations including small or big putts , can he miss them ? Yep , can anyone get them all ? Nope. The one constant that people have already said about Rory ( well apart from Craw ) is that Rory is streaky - he can destroy fields in all areas when he clicks and when he isn’t on form he just doesn’t play well. But generic statements like “guy is guff with a putter “ are just that - baseless generic statements because it’s quite clear if you have watched Rory over the years he has shown on many occasions that he can putt and he can putt very well - Bay Hill perfect example best putter by a mile over that Comp.

But then that’s golf - Spieth one day is the best putter next can’t hole a thing , Snedeker is another - putting is massively about confidence and form - right now Day is the best putter in the world by a mile - that can be seen when watching him and also by his stats

So to answer your question - if a 4ft was required to win the Ryder Cup I was expect any of the 12 to be able to sink it but stronger people have collapsed under that pressure and it would be down to how those 12 are playing over the three days - Rory playing well and he goes out first because that way you know he will be a match that counts

Tbh I’m also one of the ones that says he’s streaky. Well his putting mainly. Imo if the rest of his game is at 80% and the putter is on then he can beat most. But when it’s cold he needs to be at top form on all other facets to compete.

All golfers have different parts of their games that are better/worse than others. I think it’s fair for people to say than on average his putting displays aren’t as good as others, just as people would say generally of the tee he is better than most.

Tbf recently the commentators say say more about his short game. They remark he’s a streaky putter, accept that and comment that he’s not hitting enough close.

I fully agree the talk earlier him not making the team is ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 15344

Tbh I’m also one of the ones that says he’s streaky. Well his putting mainly. Imo if the rest of his game is at 80% and the putter is on then he can beat most. But when it’s cold he needs to be at top form on all other facets to compete.

All golfers have different parts of their games that are better/worse than others. I think it’s fair for people to say than on average his putting displays aren’t as good as others, just as people would say generally of the tee he is better than most.

Tbf recently the commentators say say more about his short game. They remark he’s a streaky putter, accept that and comment that he’s not hitting enough close.

I fully agree the talk earlier him not making the team is ridiculous.

Fully agree that is putting on average isn’t as good as others , I don’t tbink anyone would disagree , when it is on form then he is unbeaten

But that’s different from someone saying “guff with a putter “ and right now at the players he actually sunk quite a few good putts , this time he had issues from the tee. But I put that down to him not being a fan of the course

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Fully agree that is putting on average isn’t as good as others , I don’t tbink anyone would disagree , when it is on form then he is unbeaten

But that’s different from someone saying “guff with a putter “ and right now at the players he actually sunk quite a few good putts , this time he had issues from the tee. But I put that down to him not being a fan of the course

I didn’t see much of yesterday with him tbh. But seeing the holes he struggled on, water was clearly and issue on some. So unless he tried to putting across the pond, then your summary sounds about right.

Did his manner change towards the end. I’ve seen him a few times almost give up on a Friday if he thinks the weekend is gonna get him nowhere.

D

Deleted member 15344

I didn’t see much of yesterday with him tbh. But seeing the holes he struggled on, water was clearly and issue on some. So unless he tried to putting across the pond, then your summary sounds about right.

Did his manner change towards the end. I’ve seen him a few times almost give up on a Friday if he thinks the weekend is gonna get him nowhere.

He was battling away and got a great birdie on 16 to get him onto the cut line then hit a poor tee shot on 17 into the water then that was it , once the tee shot went in the water his body language was gone

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I mean he could be the player constantly referred to as the best not to win one. As Sergio was for years. he has the ability to win any tournament but seems to have little blow ups when it counts. More often than the others have.

I know what you meant mate,just being a knob 😁

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So what Rory missed the cut, why don’t we get threads about Fowler, Hatton, Matsuyama and Lefty missing it?!

The course doesn’t suit Rory, if it wasn’t such a big tournament he would probably skip it.

He has always been a streaky player, when he is on he is the best in the world and can win 3 tournaments including majors in a row.

When he is not on he is capable of a top 10 but he is going to miss cuts, just like all other players

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So what Rory missed the cut, why don’t we get threads about Fowler, Hatton, Matsuyama and Lefty missing it?!

The course doesn’t suit Rory, if it wasn’t such a big tournament he would probably skip it.

He has always been a streaky player, when he is on he is the best in the world and can win 3 tournaments including majors in a row.

When he is not on he is capable of a top 10 but he is going to miss cuts, just like all other players

Why don’t you start a thread when Fowler or Hatton miss miss the cut?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Probably because this is a forum mainly frequented by brits.....

When he is on, he is equally as good as about 10 others when they’re on. The days of him being the best The standout talent are long gone imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Probably because this is a forum mainly frequented by brits.....

When he is on, he is equally as good as about 10 others when they’re on. The days of him being the best The standout talent are long gone imo.

I think you are right. When he's "on" he is brilliant but when he's off he is distinctly average and there are more and more players coming through who and he's no longer the stand out player.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Tiger is a better golfer than Rory at the moment. Dont think anyone would have predicted that status not too long back.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Simpson = Mr Dullsville...nonetheless - well played - I suppose.

Nice to see a smiling Tiger being interviewed by Stirkie rather that a sour faced misery Tiger.