Rollups/Swindles

• Thread starter Deleted member 35577
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 35577

Does your club have them and if so what formats? How much do you put in? Birdies/bits etc?

Or is your club more of a regular 4ball set up?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does your club have them and if so what formats? How much do you put in? Birdies/bits etc?

Or is your club more of a regular 4ball set up?

My last club was very unusual. There were only 2 of these, Wednesday and Sunday. The Wednesday one was run by the great and the good of the club and they decided they had enough people they knew rolling up so closed access to anyone else taking part. The Sunday one was run by ex captains etc and was invite only. So, basically calling it a roll up to get the necessary tee access but really not a roll up as access was very limited.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have roll ups most days. Usually a few quid per man. Each has their own rules regarding running a roll up handicap. Our Saturday is £3 per man and we pay out first and second. Winner gets cut 2 for their next 3 playing weeks and runner up gets cut 1 for the same period. The Sunday one is £5 per man and winner takes all but they have to buy all those that played a drink from the winnings. Last place has to do all the fetching and carrying for the winner and clear the tables

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club has loads. There's actually two different roll-ups on a Saturday morning, one at 8 and one at 8:30 - God knows why. The 8:30 one plays on Sundays as well I think. There's a roll-up for Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays at 11:30, and one for Tuesdays & Thursdays at 8ish. There's another Friday one at midday.

I've read all of these off an email they sent out, I'd never have known all that otherwise. I've no idea how much they all charge since I've hardly played in any of them. I think on the Saturday morning ones, one of them charges £2 and one charges £5 or something like that. I'd never be able to play in the £2 one since I'd literally never have £2 in coins on me.

D

Deleted member 15344

Our club doesn’t have any official club roll ups but there are loads of swindles

During the week there is a swindle that anyone can play - they just contact the organiser who adds them into the draw

There are a few other swindles during the week run by a few but most are open to all

Saturday there is

Early swindle - starts first tee time and it’s the one I help run , after that we have a group who used to be at Mentmore but now open to all and there there is the Saturday swindle - then a ladies one , then finally a midday swindle

Our early one is just £2 entry , £1 for individual and £1 for team , we have about 30 people and each week it’s about 20 play - really great bunch and anyone can jump in with us

Sunday there are the two big swindles

First bunch is about 40 of them

They are £5 in and they have NP’s prizes

Then the second one is a swindle I play in - about 50 of us , £5 entry and then blobs on the last 3 holes

Most of the swindles also have their own little 4bbb matches in between for the first round etc

Mandofred

Visit site
Uh oh....one of my favorite topics that rile other people.

The club I will be at for this next season has 3 rollups I participate in....all tee times booked ahead of time. Probably the main reason I will be playing there next season.

*Wed mornings at 9am there is an open rollup, even during the winter there are usually 25 or so there.....more during the summer. Sign up as you arrive in numeric order, then a draw (chips with numbers drawn from a bag) that puts you in a team. £3 afterwards...usually paid out to the top 3 teams. Nobody gets much, but more people get something back.
*Thursday morning at 9am is a senior rollup. Paid ahead of time by signing up online for £3...this is paid out to appropriate winners online afterwards. Different comps....usually drawn teams, but once a month individual. This group can hit 30 pretty easy.
*Sunday morning just a small group at 8am. £3 and play by different rules.
*Various other unofficial rollups....just groups of people who try to get times as close together as possible.

Some arguments on this site in the past are that it is unfair because everyone can't book at those times. My argument has been "yes they can, just join in the rollup". They don't want to play with anyone but their mates though. So they can play, but they only want to play the way they want to.

The club I'm likely leaving after 2 years has a couple or rollups, but unofficial and they have to fight for times as close together as they can. Sometimes other people get inbetween, but most try to avoid those times because they know there is a long standing rollup taking place.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have 17 different roll ups Monday to Saturday...
If you don't want to play in one it can be quite difficult working out when it's a good time to start as we don't do booking systems except Sunday am and Tuesday am...

D

Deleted member 35577

What happens at your place, out of interest?
Very little! :cry: There is a Monday/Wed rollup played in teams that is £2 in but has a handicap limit of 18. That's not a max playing hcp, it's a max JOINING hcp which is bonkers as most of the old guys playing in it haven't played to 18 for years! Apart from that nothing. All regular 4balls the rest of the time. Our competitions are 'book your own times' which doesn't help either.

DonRixon

Banned
Visit site
We have 2 swindles at ours both days every weekend.

The early bird one goes out 730-930 that is £2 each, winner takes the pot.

The later one is £5 each, usually between 11-1pm, everyone gets a drink out of the entry fee and the winner gets the balance. We often have a pairs sidebets too within our 4 balls. They vary between £2 per man upto £50 per man depending on who is partnering who.

Always a great craic in the spike bar afterwards.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Member Run Roll up every Sunday morning - 7.30am in the car park meet.

£5 entry -

£3 stableford comp
£2 twos pot

A HIO wins the entire 2's pot.

Max playing handicap 22

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surprised to see max handicaps in a roll-up. I thought the point of roll-ups was to give everyone a game and someone to play with. Bit of a poke in the eye to new members isn't it?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
we have a member run swindle twice a month on a sunday.

i think it's £5 to enter and top 3 stableford scores get paid out plus there is a 2's pot.

Mandofred

Visit site
Surprised to see max handicaps in a roll-up. I thought the point of roll-ups was to give everyone a game and someone to play with. Bit of a poke in the eye to new members isn't it?
That's my view as well. A regular rollup should be inviting anybody who is a member at the club.....male, female, young, old, bald, short, fat........

D

Deleted member 35504

Quite the opposite.

Roll ups are run the way the majority prefer, ie everyone having a chance, hence winners get chopped and newcomers can't turn up with mickey mouse handicaps.

As you already said you never contribute to that side of club life, you can't really criticise if you dont understand it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite the opposite.

Roll ups are run the way the majority prefer, ie everyone having a chance, hence winners get chopped and newcomers can't turn up with mickey mouse handicaps.

As you already said you never contribute to that side of club life, you can't really criticise if you dont understand it.
Don't be daft. Roll-ups are often cited as a great way for new members to integrate with the club and meet other members. If they're prevented from doing so then what are they supposed to do? Just play on their own until the first board comp comes along? Not very welcoming at all.

I personally didn't need to join roll-ups because I joined alongside two of my friends. But if I'd have joined on my own, I'm glad that at my club I'd have been able to join a roll-up and meet people.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
My club has loads. There's actually two different roll-ups on a Saturday morning, one at 8 and one at 8:30 - God knows why. The 8:30 one plays on Sundays as well I think. There's a roll-up for Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays at 11:30, and one for Tuesdays & Thursdays at 8ish. There's another Friday one at midday.

I've read all of these off an email they sent out, I'd never have known all that otherwise. I've no idea how much they all charge since I've hardly played in any of them. I think on the Saturday morning ones, one of them charges £2 and one charges £5 or something like that. I'd never be able to play in the £2 one since I'd literally never have £2 in coins on me.
Go to the cash machine once a month, take out £20 and get it changed into £2 coins, sorted for 10wks.

D

Deleted member 35504

Don't be daft. Roll-ups are often cited as a great way for new members to integrate with the club and meet other members. If they're prevented from doing so then what are they supposed to do? Just play on their own until the first board comp comes along? Not very welcoming at all.

I personally didn't need to join roll-ups because I joined alongside two of my friends. But if I'd have joined on my own, I'm glad that at my club I'd have been able to join a roll-up and meet people.
Where have you made up that anyone is "prevented"?

Roll ups are real life humans, not pretend, woke, forum creations. If groups of regular golfers who are the life blood of a club wish to set a handicap limit so they enjoy their golf and aren't lumbered with some newbie who can't play the game, they have every right to do so.

Practice, get to a standard, join in. Simple.

"Daft" says the person who won't play because he can't work out how to pay £2 😁

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site

Just because there is a maximum handicap, why do you think new members, or higher handicappers, are prevented from entering? Surely they can play, but just off the agreed max handicap, just like lots of other competitions, leagues etc.

The "welcoming" element goes much further than the handicap calculation surely?

Reactions: AAC