Roll ups

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What if they don't want to play in the roll up group? What if they just want to go out in their 2 ball, 3 ball etc without playing with the others? Plenty of people just want to play their game without being involved in groups. That is their right, they pay the same fees.
As a member you have membership rights and responsibilities.

If a roll up has a set time slot then as a member you responsibility is to know that, and to accept that that is the case and you work around it or join it. Our roll ups do not - in normal times - have booked tee times but are know to go off between times x and y. If you want to play with a couple of mates during that period there is nothing stopping you. But it is preferred that you play in the roll up but are not included in the random draw.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It doesn’t happen often, and when it does there are other roll-ups the club can direct members towards.

Ours is quite a tight group. About two dozen in total, plus any newcomers, and the tee times given over to us are generally adequate to accommodate everyone who wants to play. We have a WhatsApp group set up so know by Thursday what numbers to expect and return any unused slots to the club.

At the moment we pay our money in advance online, then afterwards send cards to the organiser via WhatsApp - he then pays out online. It’s a stop gap until we can return to doing it all with beer and banter.
Ours are pretty tight too. Saturday probably tops out around 24 but we've taken on 40 or so new members since lockdown and so if any of those want to join that could go to 28 or 32. We would draw the balls at 7.45 and tee off around 8.00 onwards. The Sunday group is even bigger. If the club were to give us our set times, will it be the first 24 that get priority, what about those that are regular (every week irrespective of the weather) and how do we get the newbies in. We have a whatsapp group but not everyone is on there, certainly not the newbies. We definitely wouldn't want the main group going out and then having to wait for other groups to come in

D

Deleted member 16999

Our roll ups are open to all. Certain tee times on certain days are allocated for roll ups. Once they are full, that is it. Roll ups have to be inclusive, or the tee times are removed.
Roll ups have to have more than 12 players. Less than that will not get guaranteed times.
The Saturday roll up I am involved in has space for 36. In an average year we have 90 different golfers on our book. It is a club facility, enabling people who do not want to plan ahead, or who would actually like to indulge in club membership, and play with different people.
The roll ups are also money machines for the club. Without them, everyone's golf would cost more.
Sounds like the ideal solution thst most, if not all Clubs, should consider copying.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Oh, and if a completely different 36 turned up, they would play. Being a regular counts for zip, it's a roll up, first 36 in play.
In theory we close the book at 7.45, but at certain times of the year, if you are not there by 7.10, you are not playing with us.
Our tee times start from 8. We go off 10, 12, and 14, which leaves open play of the first. This maximises the number of golfers on the course at a busy time, and the first tee is closed when we come round. People know this, and it has been this way for 15 years.
Ladies can play in our swindle, but they also have 5 tee times off the first, for their own swindle, which are the last times before we come around.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a member you have membership rights and responsibilities.

If a roll up has a set time slot then as a member you responsibility is to know that, and to accept that that is the case and you work around it or join it. Our roll ups do not - in normal times - have booked tee times but are know to go off between times x and y. If you want to play with a couple of mates during that period there is nothing stopping you. But it is preferred that you play in the roll up but are not included in the random draw.
I'm trying hard to find any part of this I can agree with but nope, not a bit. Fine if they fit with your ideas or traditions but if they don't suit other members then tough. If a time slot is booked then it is booked but the comments on here that I've picked up on is that regular slots in the current situation are being taken by non roll up members and roll ups are taking the huff. Other members dare to take the chance to book these unobtainable slots and regulars don't like this. Have a bit of your own medicine.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm trying hard to find any part of this I can agree with but nope, not a bit. Fine if they fit with your ideas or traditions but if they don't suit other members then tough. If a time slot is booked then it is booked but the comments on here that I've picked up on is that regular slots in the current situation are being taken by non roll up members and roll ups are taking the huff. Other members dare to take the chance to book these unobtainable slots and regulars don't like this. Have a bit of your own medicine.
Bit harsh. I don't see people being overly upset at our place about this. A bunch of people would "prefer" for things to go back like they were, I'm one of them......but I can definitely see knocking most if not all of the roll ups out of that prime Saturday morning slot. I think a lot of people would be fine with some kind of compromise.....for me it would be to put the roll ups later in the day on Saturday. However, it doesn't look like there is much room for compromise with you. I could be wrong. In my mind, there is a way to give both sides of the discussion something they want.....it doesn't have to be only one way or nothing. I'm not overly happy with how many Saturdays are taken up with competitions......at this time of the year there aren't that many Saturdays for people to just "play golf" anyway. But...I can live with it. Again, it doesn't have to be only one way with no compromise.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit harsh. I don't see people being overly upset at our place about this. A bunch of people would "prefer" for things to go back like they were, I'm one of them......but I can definitely see knocking most if not all of the roll ups out of that prime Saturday morning slot. I think a lot of people would be fine with some kind of compromise.....for me it would be to put the roll ups later in the day on Saturday. However, it doesn't look like there is much room for compromise with you. I could be wrong. In my mind, there is a way to give both sides of the discussion something they want.....it doesn't have to be only one way or nothing. I'm not overly happy with how many Saturdays are taken up with competitions......at this time of the year there aren't that many Saturdays for people to just "play golf" anyway. But...I can live with it. Again, it doesn't have to be only one way with no compromise.
I took the huff a bit with the tone of the post I quoted so I probably went a tad over the top there. I agree that compromises are there to be made. I've been at clubs previously with roll ups, taken part in them, enjoyed them but I can see that they can exclude as much as they include. I take umbridge with the idea that people who have had roll ups for years think they have more rights than members who don't want to play in them. People pay the same fees, why should they be pushed out? Roll ups have a place but the fact that roll ups are struggling to get their traditional slots at the moment suggests other members are enjoying this new ground freedom to book those slots.

I agree with your point about Saturday comps, sunday as well if that is how a club works, anything that takes over a course to the exclusion of others. I don't like the idea of a course being blocked out full stop. I'd allow anyone to play at any time. If they want to be part of a comp that's fine, if they want play social golf, that's fine. Male, female, should all be able to book any time slot. This goes against what most on here will agree with but that's fine. I'm not a traditionalist in that sense.

Anyway, back to an earlier post, why on earth would you leave your club? It's a fabulous club. Course, clubhouse, it has the lot.

Mandofred

Visit site
Anyway, back to an earlier post, why on earth would you leave your club? It's a fabulous club. Course, clubhouse, it has the lot.

I've only been a member for 5 years come August since we moved back to the UK. Yep, I like this course and the people I play with are pretty nice etc etc. The roll ups saved me in a way. Even though I'm an ex-teacher I am not the most sociable person around and my wife and I are a pair of hermits. Without the roll ups I doubt I would have started playing golf again since I didn't know anybody. For a person like me, the roll ups are the ONLY way to get into golf. I'm also coming from playing in the US where if you want to golf you have to really hustle to get a slot to play and most of the time you needed others to play with, a bit too desperate for my taste and most of my golf was solo and early in the morning.

I came to the UK for the first time in 1980 (1980-87, 2004-2011, and now 2015-present). I ran a lot until the last 20 years and joining a club was EASY here (Wycombe and then Newbury). I almost raced bicycles at one point and it would have been easy to join a club for that as well. There were clubs for almost everything here!! It made joining things easy for people, very much NOT the way it is where I was from. I have a VERY favourable of clubs and roll ups. Iffffff the club did away with all roll ups and another club nearby (Ripon maybe?) still had roll ups I would likely head that way. Now....I have no idea if the roll ups are going away.....although I am playing with a guy today who should have up-to-date information/gossip (if we don't get rained out, which is likely at this point).

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Must be great to play at a club where you turn up to play at 8am but don’t get to tee-off for well over an hour later?

I will take that as aimed at me (rightly or wrongly).

The first tee is open play on Saturday. Any one who wants to can go straight out next to no wait. If you want to play in the roll up from 8, you need to get there early, to sign in. Most then have breakfast.
This works fine for those that want to do this, and believe it or not, it is very popular, and we normally get 32 odd every week. It is only at certain times of the year it is busier. Most who play in it are in the habit of getting there at 7.

Previously, everybody went off the first. So many that often people who turned up at 7 didn't get out until 10, and those who wanted to play at 10 were banjaxed.
Obviously booking would have sorted this, but as a club, they have decided open play at the weekend is preferable. Personally I hate the booking system, and prefer open play.

Either way, I still remember having to drive to Uxbridge golf club to arrive at 4 o clock in the morning to put a ball in the chute.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
ours is quite small 20 to 30 at most, times drawn at 8.45. guy that organises has a pouch with numbered balls. usually 4 ball BB team score with side games.

just started again last week, but pre drawn with your 3 times and partners at the start of the week, just 3 balls at the moment

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The point I was trying to make is that in my club the role of a rollup extends beyond simply a group of guys wanting to play together as a group in a certain time slot. As we don’t use a tee booking system any group of memberS can turn up and put a ball in the chute and play in the period the roll up goes off. These groups do not have to take part in the roll up. But members have to take into consideration the fact that over a certain time period a group of members are playing in a roll up and so it would be good if others either avoided the period or joined the roll up - even if they were not part of the draw.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The point I was trying to make is that in my club the role of a rollup extends beyond simply a group of guys wanting to play together as a group in a certain time slot. As we don’t use a tee booking system any group of memberS can turn up and put a ball in the chute and play in the period the roll up goes off. These groups do not have to take part in the roll up. But members have to take into consideration the fact that over a certain time period a group of members are playing in a roll up and so it would be good if others either avoided the period or joined the roll up - even if they were not part of the draw.

So just like tee-times then.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I will take that as aimed at me (rightly or wrongly).

The first tee is open play on Saturday. Any one who wants to can go straight out next to no wait. If you want to play in the roll up from 8, you need to get there early, to sign in. Most then have breakfast.
This works fine for those that want to do this, and believe it or not, it is very popular, and we normally get 32 odd every week. It is only at certain times of the year it is busier. Most who play in it are in the habit of getting there at 7.

Previously, everybody went off the first. So many that often people who turned up at 7 didn't get out until 10, and those who wanted to play at 10 were banjaxed.
Obviously booking would have sorted this, but as a club, they have decided open play at the weekend is preferable. Personally I hate the booking system, and prefer open play.

Either way, I still remember having to drive to Uxbridge golf club to arrive at 4 o clock in the morning to put a ball in the chute.

I can still remember people getting to Wimbledon Common at 4 in the morning and doze until the clubhouse opened and then rush to put their names on a start sheet in the bar for them and their three mates and getting there early was the only way to guarantee being at the head of the queue. People arriving after 7.30 were left with odds and sods or going out after 11.00 as some form of roll up if they can find a game. Far from inclusive

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can still remember people getting to Wimbledon Common at 4 in the morning and doze until the clubhouse opened and then rush to put their names on a start sheet in the bar for them and their three mates and getting there early was the only way to guarantee being at the head of the queue. People arriving after 7.30 were left with odds and sods or going out after 11.00 as some form of roll up if they can find a game. Far from inclusive

Thank god for the internet and tee time bookings!

dronfield

Visit site
Very simple.

We have a few established roll ups, they're just allocated tee times now and it's regularly publicised and stressed that they are all open to anyone.

Our club has done exactly the same - used a figure of minimum 10 members to class the group as a "roll up" & then allocated various BRS slots to the different ones across the week, with the exception of weekends where no such times will be given.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found the problem with roll ups is that when it's windy it's very difficult to keep the baccy in the paper, so only take Taylormades to the course.