Retirement

Skytot

Visit site
I’ve been off work on Christmas break since Monday 19th, the weather since has been awful . It’s made me think how bored I will be in the winter (when retired)if the weather is atrocious.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve been off work on Christmas break since Monday 19th, the weather since has been awful . It’s made me think how bored I will be in the winter (when retired)if the weather is atrocious.
I wouldn’t let such thoughts put you off, interests can change and develop, and stuff happens that you’d never have considered or thought would happen to you or those close to you.
Plus you can choose, unconstrained by external factors (work), when to do things to suit when you feel like doing them, so today we are heading off late morning up to London as our Christmas present to each other was tickets to Moulin Rouge followed by dinner in Covent Garden - I’d previously have been working today.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

That’s precisely why I do a little more of my part time job in the winter and then wind it back to just a day or two each week when the weather picks up.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

As above! Contrast that feeling when the sun is shining in the season, you are working, but could be playing golf!!

I am handing in my notice when I get back to work next week... will pack in mid Feb. I may or may not ever work again! :)

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
My notice expired last month , asked to stay on a bit to help out but getting fed up with the excuses regarding setting a replacement on
so it may be time to sever the cord and leave them to their own devices .

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
My notice expired last month , asked to stay on a bit to help out but getting fed up with the excuses regarding setting a replacement on
so it may be time to sever the cord and leave them to their own devices .

I hate it when employers take advantage of a worker’s good nature. They’ve had your notice - the fact they haven’t made a plan to plug the gap is their problem, not yours.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I gave 6 months notice so that they could sort a replacement out. Cue months of offers to stay. 4 months into the notice they offered me a job that piqued my interest. The MD wanted 5 years, but I offered 2. I stuck to that, and when the C diagnosis ‘arrived’ I left a month early. Post-op I received a number of approaches to go back and take on short term projects… not interested as invariably there’d be some overrun and then a period of post project support.

Miss some of the people and some aspects of the job, still, but 5 years retired and no interest in 40+hours a week.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've been given a leaving date of next Friday 20th January, if all my stuff is completed. It will be!

Maybe I need to embrace the word "retired" aged 59 years, 61 days! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

One of my old colleagues left Uni in 1986...I first met him in 1989 when I went to work in same place. (I left there ion 2007) Even back then, he always said his ambition was to leave/retire!!

Well, he stayed and worked in the same company all his life..... he retires next week too. I hope the shock isnt too much for him!

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Phases of retirement comparable to marriage.

Marriage:
1. Preliminary infatuation phase.
2. Honeymoon period.
3. Long settling down period.
4. Drifting apart period.
5. End period.

Retirement:
1. Preliminary demob-happy phase.
2. Honeymoon period.
3. Short settling down period.
4. Hospital period.
5. End period.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got contacted by someone claiming to be , and as it turned out was, from a company tracking people down for pensions. I'd got 10k in an ici pension I never knew of. I was only there 5 years. I'll be taking all of that as cash thank you very much in two years time.
Just a quick bump on this. I checked this week on it as I was proper poorly and omg there is £76k in there😁 I'm now trying to find out my other pensions. This could be, and is starting off, a very good year.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
This is something is approaching for me now. Just turned 65 and so a year to my official retirement age. Considering all my options really as I do enjoy the role but I have been working since I was 16 so a long time. I do have decent pensions and some investments so keep asking myself do I....
  • Just retire at 66, collect my pension and then work with less money coming in.
  • Off to go on to a reduced 2-3 day week.
  • Offer consultancy if they want it.
My knowledge in the business is very strong. My plan is to ensure that isn't lost when I retire. I know there is no such thing as irreplaceable, and if I dropped dead tomorrow then the world and work would continue, but I've worked hard in my role and I want to ensure that it continues to run smoothly when I've gone.