Car purchase, cooling off period

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The wife's friend went ahead to a car dealer alone and bought a car, which when I looked into it wasn't a great deal.
Is she allowed to pull out of the deal under a cooling off period.

She's paid a £500 deposit and as far a s I can work out signed the order form.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not an expert but I think the 14 day cooling off period is just for internet/telephone purchases but will wait for a reply by someone who will know better

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
She went on her own and didn't really understand what she was doing, although I guess in the contractual side of things it's irrelevant, it wasn't even a local garage.
I've said she could call the salesman and she if they will do anything

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Twas a used car.
This is from their website (Bristol Street motors)

The 'cooling-off' period refers to the time frame you have after buying a car to change your mind for whatever reason. This gives you the option to cancel your order after placing it and lasts for 14 days after you receive it. If you choose to cancel, you will be able to return the car to the dealership you purchased it from and receive a full refund.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The garage I deal with (main dealer) the £500 is a reservation deposit and is non refundable if you pull out of the deal.

RichA

Visit site
Twas a used car.
This is from their website (Bristol Street motors)

The 'cooling-off' period refers to the time frame you have after buying a car to change your mind for whatever reason. This gives you the option to cancel your order after placing it and lasts for 14 days after you receive it. If you choose to cancel, you will be able to return the car to the dealership you purchased it from and receive a full refund.
If they're offering a 14-day return on used cars then it's just their policy, rather than a legal cooling off period. Prob the kind of thing some people might think is worth paying a little extra for.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
She should get it check out by the AA or a reputable dealer, for any serious faults or any misinformation.
I once paid a deposit of £500 on a 4 year old Jaguar, when I got the log book it had 6 previous owners, I was told it only had two

Got my money back no problem.