Retirement

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Though as you have mentioned…actually what is more important than the number of years is the amount forecast as the 35 qualifying years for full pension is misleading for those who are approaching retirement or retirement thinking.
Life’s odd, the guy that rang me re pension is Rowie. The guy who put Grandad and Grandson in the Winders chair. Anyway he has just rang me back and done some digging. Apparently on the Martin Lewis website there is info where some folk can claim for the reduced years. Not been sent the link yet so maybe talk later.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Life’s odd, the guy that rang me re pension is Rowie. The guy who put Grandad and Grandson in the Winders chair. Anyway he has just rang me back and done some digging. Apparently on the Martin Lewis website there is info where some folk can claim for the reduced years. Not been sent the link yet so maybe talk later.

I wouldn’t mind that link, Tash. I need to make up a couple of years N.I contributions, or so I’m told, so any info now would be really useful. My forecast state pension is only a few quid short of the full sum, so it may or may not make sense to make the additional contributions, depending on the sums involved.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I wouldn’t mind that link, Tash. I need to make up a couple of years N.I contributions, or so I’m told, so any info now would be really useful. My forecast state pension is only a few quid short of the full sum, so it may or may not make sense to make the additional contributions, depending on the sums involved.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/

Try that Billy.
Also Missis Tash has spent an hour or so looking on sites. Apparently because we have spent the last 10 years looking after the grandkids there is a “ clause” that if it is because grandkids parents are at work and wouldn’t be able to work without say me and Missis T, you can claim those years at no detriment to parents. So Missis T would not have to pay £800 plus per year.
Also Rowie said that for every £800 ish or year you pay. After 3 years you start to get your money back. The average age to live is 80 odd so it makes sense to do it.
Good luck me man

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pm sent.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been out in Lisbon for a long over due break. What a lovely place - all the vibes from Barcelona but more bang for the buck..

Lisbon is very hilly. We walked around a fair bit. Sometimes the Mrs struggled. At some point, she said, I am happy that we decided to come over. If we wait longer, we wont be able to do such trips.

While many wait for retirement to undertake their trips, its worth noting that not everything needs to wait for it. Get out there and enjoy it while you still can

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
I'm at the other end of the spectrum (35yrs old) but I really don't want to work past 55. Bit of a toss up at the minute in terms of working less days to spend more time with the young family now vs working more and sticking the extra in my pension. Some of the tips I've seen on here are invaluable, thank you!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I retired at about 62 when my business partner and I decided to sell our assets and call it a day. I lasted about 4 months and decided full retirement was not for me, especially with Mrs d still working. I took a low paid book keeping job with a working mens club, which has turned into a £7m pound development - still good fun now I've just turned 70 !

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Been out in Lisbon for a long over due break. What a lovely place - all the vibes from Barcelona but more bang for the buck..

Lisbon is very hilly. We walked around a fair bit. Sometimes the Mrs struggled. At some point, she said, I am happy that we decided to come over. If we wait longer, we wont be able to do such trips.

While many wait for retirement to undertake their trips, its worth noting that not everything needs to wait for it. Get out there and enjoy it while you still can
We loved the three days we had in Lisbon couple of months back. Took the tour bus and did all three routes….and a lot of walking…up hill and down. Marvellous city.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Haven’t read this article but apparently govt wants you to not take an early retirement… if anyone has access to this , then would be good to why the ‘return to work’ is being proposed

1671834988802.png

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We loved the three days we had in Lisbon couple of months back. Took the tour bus and did all three routes….and a lot of walking…up hill and down. Marvellous city.

Never got around to the tour bus!! We stayed in an AirBnb the touristy area.. then just walked everywhere.. I am sure we will be back

There is a job opening in our Lisbon office but thr 30% pay cut won’t help

Tashyboy

Visit site
Never got around to the tour bus!! We stayed in an AirBnb the touristy area.. then just walked everywhere.. I am sure we will be back

There is a job opening in our Lisbon office but thr 30% pay cut won’t help

Porto is also a very nice City for a weekend. Not as Hilly though. ?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Porto is also a very nice City for a weekend. Not as Hilly though. ?

We went down to Cascais for a few days... about 30 mins on the train. Lovely place, but nothing much happens there (that is what we wanted).

Speaking to my friend in Lisbon. He says property prices have gone thru the roof in Lisbon in the past 3 years or so. Everything is being bought out by Americans and Chinese or becoming AirB&B. I found americans buying strange. Apparently, the allure is that it is same timezone as London but with much better weather and food in Lisbon. Also gets over the problem of 'working in EU' by basing in Lisbon rather than London.

Tashyboy

Visit site
We went down to Cascais for a few days... about 30 mins on the train. Lovely place, but nothing much happens there (that is what we wanted).

Speaking to my friend in Lisbon. He says property prices have gone thru the roof in Lisbon in the past 3 years or so. Everything is being bought out by Americans and Chinese or becoming AirB&B. I found americans buying strange. Apparently, the allure is that it is same timezone as London but with much better weather and food in Lisbon. Also gets over the problem of 'working in EU' by basing in Lisbon rather than London.

I always put the Citys I have been to in two categories.

Big Cities like London, Berlin Lisbon, Rome. Take more than one long weekend to see most of it. usually with the help of bus tours.

Smaller Cities like Porto, Amsterdam, Gdansk, Krakow, Poznan, Dublin that you can have a good walk around. Over a long weekend.

Some of my favourite Cities fall into both categories.

Tashyboy

Visit site
The definition of retirement is waking up in the morning with nothing to do and going to bed at night with only half of it done.
And I have to say I'm brilliant at it (y)
Sounds like you were born to retire Bob. ?