Relocating away from London.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My self and Mrs socks are contemplating relocating away from south east London for a better way of life and I’m interested to see who has done it and what advice they would give. It will be in around 2 years time and we are fortunate to be in jobs where HID works 80% of the time home based with only two commutes a month to twickenham south west London required. I’m predominantly field based so location transfer within the same company is already approved as I flagged this in my interview.

so far we have looked at south wilts, or north east Dorset solely because of transport links, value for money and potential work opportunities from surroundings city's. ideally looking for something villagey with towns close by (15-20mins) and then between cities. North east Dorset ticks a lot of boxes being centrally located between Bristol, Swindon, Southampton reading, bath etc for me being field based with pretty good links into the capital for the misses, We have looked more into Kent also (tonbridge, tunbridge wells, crowborough) but you get less for your buck and ideally looking to remain with the same size house with a smaller mortgage.

our plan was to pick some certain areas and then spend a year or two having air b&b breaks to get a feel for areas before just upping and going.

Anyone else done similar?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you considered south Worcestershire. I moved to Malvern thirty years ago and it's such a good place to live. Great rail and Motorway links, close to Worcester, Gloucester, Cheltenham and Hereford and a short commute to Birmingham and Bristol.
The Malvern hills are so beautiful and the Hereford countryside and the Cotswolds on our doorstep. Well worth a look.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Looked into doing it but decided against it. Looked at what we did for leisure and we were moving away from everything we currently do so new area and a complete new lifestyle and decided against it. Had we done it work wouldn’t have been an issue as we would have been retiring.

Good luck if it suits you, but make sure you consider absolutely everything before committing as it is pretty much irreversible unless you spend a small fortune.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Socket, we have also looked at the Cotswold region and again this opened up Cheltenham, glos, Oxford so is an option.

BIm, it’s something we’ve always spoken about. While we live in a nice area on the outskirts of London, the attitude is spreading out and I’m just done with it. Me and HID enjoy alot of walking which all of the areas tick, she loves the gym which is 10mins away so another 10 makes no difference and golf social events is a great way to meet new people etc so it’s not something that phases us.

We did a little tour down Torquay way pre covid which was lovely, in my old job I stayed in lots of lovely places where the mini America attitude just wasn’t there, people say hi etc, just a different way of life.

As it stands our retirement age is early to mid 60’s before we are mortgage clear, the relocation would see us mortgage free mid 50’s so would open up a better way of life earlier and mean we could both take less stressful jobs earlier.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Done it twice (Manchester and Dorset), come back close both times to be closer to family. Wouldnt hesitate to do it again but whilst our parents are still in London/Herts we wont be going more than an hour away again

We have loved living in different places (and I expect will do so again) but for Mrs F especially being too close from her family has drawn us back closer each time (first time when her mum was seriously ill, 2nd time when Covid meant she felt helpless when they had family issues). The older we get the more we value the outside space and countryside (whether its beach, hills etc)

The one thing I would say is going to a place for a few days doesnt always give you the picture of what it would be like to live somewhere. That was especially true with Mudeford for us, cracking place to visit, less ideal as a place to live in our opinion (too touristy, too busy, awful road infrastructure)

Work out whats important to you and pick places that fit. Work out how far you can comfortably be from friends, family etc

Otherwise, just go for it, buy/rent a house and if it isnt the place for you then move again and try somewhere else :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Socket, we have also looked at the Cotswold region and again this opened up Cheltenham, glos, Oxford so is an option.

BIm, it’s something we’ve always spoken about. While we live in a nice area on the outskirts of London, the attitude is spreading out and I’m just done with it. Me and HID enjoy alot of walking which all of the areas tick, she loves the gym which is 10mins away so another 10 makes no difference and golf social events is a great way to meet new people etc so it’s not something that phases us.

We did a little tour down Torquay way pre covid which was lovely, in my old job I stayed in lots of lovely places where the mini America attitude just wasn’t there, people say hi etc, just a different way of life.

As it stands our retirement age is early to mid 60’s before we are mortgage clear, the relocation would see us mortgage free mid 50’s so would open up a better way of life earlier and mean we could both take less stressful jobs earlier.

Take a look at the north of the New Forest some beautiful outdoor walks etc there but still more connected (and less touristy) than being further down towards the coast

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Take a look at the north of the New Forest some beautiful outdoor walks etc there but still more connected (and less touristy) than being further down towards the coast

I’ve also looked there , we really are open book.

An option I contemplated was picking an approximate area and potentially investing in a second small flat which we could then let out. Move into that short term while selling the house in London this would allow us to get the real feel of an area

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Understand the reasoning fella. ;)

We looked at what we do (or did before the :poop:storm blew in). Football, concerts and theatre were pretty much wiped off the agenda and travel became a bit more difficult. Given that at our ages we are also ideally placed for St.George's and the Marsden (cheerful I know), we decided that all the upheaval didn't merit the potential benefits. The issue of golf was another thing as the sort of course I'd want to join have waiting lists.

Hope you find what you're looking for. (y)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good to see you weighing up the health care structure lol.

Is still in the sky at the moment but it’s becoming a more common topic of discussion. We pretty much live behind selsdon pk hotel, 1hr into Covent Garden in rush hour on Wednesday and if I look out my back window I have a wildlife park between my back door and the 6th at Farleigh so pretty spoiled, it’s what’s out the front door I want to change lol

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good to see you weighing up the health care structure lol.

Is still in the sky at the moment but it’s becoming a more common topic of discussion. We pretty much live behind selsdon pk hotel, 1hr into Covent Garden in rush hour on Wednesday and if I look out my back window I have a wildlife park between my back door and the 6th at Farleigh so pretty spoiled, it’s what’s out the front door I want to change lol

current view out of the front of ours, just need to close that road lol :)

front view.jpg

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would love to recommend East Lothian but with constant threat of independence I would not recommend.

Before the mods delete this, it is not a political statement, just a comment on the way of life not being as it should be.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We moved form Woking to just North of Yeovil, Somerset over 30 years ago.

It is really essential to work out what is really important to you in terms of facilities entertainment etc.

There are a lot of things in the Home counties and London that get taken for granted which you will find are no longer available in counties further out. EG these days I have to drive to the Yeovil for a bank/building society, nearest station is about 10 miles away, buses stop around 5.30 and there is no direct transport route by public transport to any other town in the area from where I live and none from Yeovil for quite a few places such as Yeovil to Bristol. Can you get on Doctors list where you intend to move to.

When we knew we were moving here we spent a day driving to village to village to see what facilities there were gas, sewerage etc, local shops, pubs before deciding on what villages we would live in.

I have never really regretted moving here but one thing I do miss compared to Woking is all the public open spaces.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You probably looked at the more expensive regions in Kent, bang for you buck will be nearer the coast, but even prices round here are rocketing.
They are building a new fast link to London from Thanet, so maybe have a look at Deal maybe ?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is something we have talked about for a few years, we flip-flop between West Cumbria and East Devon, the Mrs has family in Cumbria, it’s beautiful, friendly people and your £ goes a lot further but the weather and not always seeing eye to eye with the in-laws is the negatives.
West Devon, Rousden and Seaton in particular always appeals as we have holidayed down there for years and we love it.
Things we need to consider is access to a good hospital for the Mrs and a good bus or train service as if we have to stop driving we wouldn’t want to be cut off. Probably would not be for a few more years as kids have not flown the nest yet and my dad lives on his own and is getting on a bit now. Would hate to be to far away from him.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Maybe take a small staycation in Malvern. I'm sure you would love the place, the hills are a great walk and it's not far from the Brecon beacons. There's a direct rail connection to Paddington and a short drive to the M5 and M50. Some really good golf clubs, The Worcestershire on the edge of the town is a good course.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
"jim8flog, It’s funny, in my old job I used to cover Exeter, Yeovil and radstock so often stayed in street and surrounding villages, I really lovely region and one I used to visit every two weeks. As you said for me it’s just a little too far south west at the moment. I enjoy my job but I cannot say hand on heart it’s the job for life and the further west I go the fewer opportunities for work in my sector would be available. The thing I did like with Yeovil is the direct link into Waterloo via Clapham, I think it was 1.30/1.45 from Clapham to Yeovil.

SpongeBob, I did look that far down even as close to little stone but im just not sure that far down in Kent appeals as much. There just doesn’t seem enough that way for someone in our age brackets.

Fundy, what a view!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s ironic as the golf is actually the last concern. Courses will naturally become cheaper and traffic will reduce so driving further for something a bit nicer will still no doubt be cheaper then London prices on courses

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s ironic as the golf is actually the last concern. Courses will naturally become cheaper and traffic will reduce so driving further for something a bit nicer will still no doubt be cheaper then London prices on courses
Our experience was the complete opposite. When we decided to move away from Watford, the primary issue was to find the right golf club to join. My wife grew up in Devon, so we knew the South West was our target area. We spent a while playing various courses around Dorset, Devon and Somerset before deciding that Honiton was the club we wanted to join. Only then did we start looking for a house to buy, and living as close as possible (within reason) to the club was an important consideration.

Maybe that sounds a bit weird, but since both my wife and I play, and golf is our main leisure activity, it seemed the right way to approach things.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s great that because you both have the same hobby it seemed it was a no brainier. For me HID is about as stable as it gets in a career and if work offer her the next role I honestly think she’ll do another 15-20 years there.

Me on the other hand , while the company I work for is very strong in its sector, I’m not 100% convinced it’s the long term fit. Staying my current location will prob open up 50;1 opportunities compared with deep Devon London prob and maybe 50:10 if located around Dorchester/south wilts, these odd improve as I move closer across towards Southampton / Portsmouth and anything near Guildford maintains the same or close too odds, so the right locations are key