East Anglia advice

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Stay at Brancaster. From there you are in easy reach of Hunstanton, Cromer, Wells, Norwich, Kings Lynn Etc. Very nice village with some good pubs and within reach of all the great golf courses along with the bonus of being on the coast.

Bythesea

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Liverbirdie
Norfolk is good advise, but if you look a bit further down the coast there is more good golf to be had around Yarmouth and Lowestoft, Beccles, Barnham Broom, Royal Norfolk, Rookery Park, to name but a few.
I wish you good golfing in 2012 , especially in East Anglian.
Regards Bythesea.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Liverbirdie
Norfolk is good advise, but if you look a bit further down the coast there is more good golf to be had around Yarmouth and Lowestoft, Beccles, Barnham Broom, Royal Norfolk, Rookery Park, to name but a few.
I wish you good golfing in 2012 , especially in East Anglian.
Regards Bythesea.

Thanks, narrowing it down over the next week or so with the mrs., mainly for the scenery, location, but also taking the golf into account. I'll also be checking golf empire for individual opens, or unless anyone fancies teaming up for a pairs. Probably be in August.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
My sister used to live in Woodbridge in Suffolk. Not that keen on the countryside myself too flat, and the skies are enormous.:whistle:

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having lived in Suffolk for most my life i can suggest

Bury St Edmunds area, Steer clear of Ipswich as too large and too scummy now ( shame )

Gt Yarmouth and Lowestoft too chavvy but north Norfolk area is nice as already suggested again its a bit lacking in other things to do

Norwich is a nice city with good shops and some good courses nearby

Good luck

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well didn't get round to it last year.

However, we are booked in at a cottage (with swimming pool - get me), near Dereham. I would have preferred the north coast, but we are getting a bargain, and it is central for everything else.

If anyone fancies a knock at any of the top 100 courses, or an open (can match up as a pair), knock at your place, I'll be looking to get 3 (maybe 4) games in whilst down there. Anyone know if there are any meets on, also.

I'll be there 5th August-18th from memory.

Thanks for all the advice, BTW

Playing in Norfolk, will I have to buy knee-length white socks, or is that just Kent?:whistle:

LB

D

Deleted Member 1156

Going to North Norfolk? You might come back with crabs :eek:

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Aldeburgh would be my advice. Lovely quiet coastal town. Fairly central along the coast for away trips. Plenty of good golf in the vicinity and the best fish & chips in England.

Oh, and regarding the Ipswich bashing. I've lived here all my life and...........spot on, it's a total dump with the worse shopping centre you'll ever come across. A few nice golf courses though.:mmm:

Last edited:

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Aldeburgh would be my advice. Lovely quiet coastal town. Fairly central along the coast for away trips. Plenty of good golf in the vicinity and the best fish & chips in England.

Oh, and regarding the Ipswich bashing. I've lived here all my life and...........spot on, it's a total dump with the worse shopping centre you'll ever come across. A few nice golf courses though.:mmm:

Mark what course do you play at? I'm just outside the horror that is Ipswich and play at the glorified farmland that is Waldringfield ;)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Staying in Dereham you've got a lot of decent courses not too far away. Cromer, sheringham and hunstanton are all top drawer. In the next bracket down I'd put Sprowston Manor, Barnham Broom (valley course), Richmond Park, Royal Norwich and Thetford. Others that are worth a look are Swaffham, Royal West Norfolk, Dunston Hall and Weston Park.

Would avoid Wensum Valley like the plague. Vastly over rated in my opinion.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Staying in Dereham you've got a lot of decent courses not too far away. Cromer, sheringham and hunstanton are all top drawer. In the next bracket down I'd put Sprowston Manor, Barnham Broom (valley course), Richmond Park, Royal Norwich and Thetford. Others that are worth a look are Swaffham, Royal West Norfolk, Dunston Hall and Weston Park.

Would avoid Wensum Valley like the plague. Vastly over rated in my opinion.

Are you serious? RWN is one of the best courses in the country!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you serious? RWN is one of the best courses in the country!

I've never played RWN myself so can't comment on what it's like but have heard good things about it which was why I said worth a look. Have played all three that I said were top draw so feel able to judge them but without playing a course I can't recommend it as a good/great course.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks chaps keep em coming.

Any decent opens on or meets planned for 6-17th August, even an hour or so drive away is no problem.As I said, if anyone fancies pairing up for an open, or just fancies a knock, give me a shout.....:thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've never played RWN myself so can't comment on what it's like but have heard good things about it which was why I said worth a look. Have played all three that I said were top draw so feel able to judge them but without playing a course I can't recommend it as a good/great course.

OK no problem, just the way you worded your post it came across as being classed as worse than Barnham, Swaffham etc.

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I play at St Clements. Nice little 9 hole course, mainly as it's handy and I don't have to bother with booking tee times. I quite like Waldringfield actually and usually platy there 3 or 4 times a year.