East Anglia advice

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Me and HID are thinking of going to east Anglia in the summer for 2 weeks.

We normally like to rent a cottage but it's one of the few areas of England that I dont know very well. We would be ideally looking for a place near or on the coast, close to a small town or big village with a few good old real ale boozers. Ideal for walks, days out, golf for me and all as long as within 40 miles or so.

Possibly thinking of the north end of the bump, maybe near great Yarmouth, rather than the south end near Colchester, but still open to ideas or suggestions. I'll be after golf advice also, but maybe as a seperate post for now.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
North Norfolk is where you want to go, no disrespect but if you go too far south you end up in Suffolk and thats where Ipswich is, and you dont want to go anywhere near Ipswich lol.

I live near Cromer, but if you head further round the coast you have Blakeney or Holt and some fantastic scenery, great wildlife, and plenty to do.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
North Norfolk is where you want to go, no disrespect but if you go too far south you end up in Suffolk and thats where Ipswich is, and you dont want to go anywhere near Ipswich lol.

I live near Cromer, but if you head further round the coast you have Blakeney or Holt and some fantastic scenery, great wildlife, and plenty to do.

Where is that beach where they filmed "Kingdom" with Stephen Fry. That place looks lovely, and I fancy walking along that beach.

BTW the mrs watched it, only glanced it myself - honest.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Love the stretch between Hunstanton and Cromer. Fantastic villages, and some proper old fashioned pubs. Some very good courses too. Hunstanton, Royal West Norfolk, Royal North Norfolk.

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Staying near Hunstanton would be ideal it has Sandrinham woods close by and would allow you access to clubs such as Kings Lynn, Hunstanton, Brancaster, Middleton Hall. To be honest anywhere you stay around North Norfolk would give you what you want. Plenty of beach walks where ever.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I second the coast between Hunstanton and Cromer. One of the nicest villages is Thornham, which is conveniently between Royal West Norfolk and Hunstanton. I thought Hunstanton was the better course even though the rankings say differently. Be sure to visit the smokehouse in Cley Next the Sea. Awesome kippers. Holt is also a nice town and Norwich is a great city. I know you guys will have fun

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I played Hunstanton last year.
£80 green fee and STRICT dress code. :mad:
ie
Long socks MUST be worn with tailored shorts and don't even think about cargo trousers.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Just checked my geography again, didn't realise thet Great Yarmouth was east of Norwich, probably getting mixed up with Kings Lynn.

I had a cursory look at cottages last night, and there was some nice ones in Dereham, which although miles from the coast might be better from a central point of view. Me and HID have been known to travel up to 2 hours to see other places in the region, so what is Dereham like, or are there other non-coastal towns/large villages that are nice (maybe market or historical towns).

We will definitely be going to visit the coastal places as well as Norwich, Sandringham, possibly Great Yarmouth, Caister etc. We may leave Cambridge for a long weekend for another time, but would not discount it, may go to Colchester for the day, if running out of things to do. I'll also get approx 4 games of golf in. It is quite a way from Kings Lynn to Great Yarmouth to Cromer to Caister, so wondering if central is better (even though less scenic) and what is it like getting around the place. The roads seem quite spaced out, or not many options, I presume due to the fenlands.

Any other days out we should consider, between us we like art galleries, museums, Castles, Historic houses, beach and hill walks/rambles (less than 8 miles) but not fell walking.

SwingSlow

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Just checked my geography again, didn't realise thet Great Yarmouth was east of Norwich, probably getting mixed up with Kings Lynn.

I had a cursory look at cottages last night, and there was some nice ones in Dereham, which although miles from the coast might be better from a central point of view. Me and HID have been known to travel up to 2 hours to see other places in the region, so what is Dereham like, or are there other non-coastal towns/large villages that are nice (maybe market or historical towns).

We will definitely be going to visit the coastal places as well as Norwich, Sandringham, possibly Great Yarmouth, Caister etc. We may leave Cambridge for a long weekend for another time, but would not discount it, may go to Colchester for the day, if running out of things to do. I'll also get approx 4 games of golf in. It is quite a way from Kings Lynn to Great Yarmouth to Cromer to Caister, so wondering if central is better (even though less scenic) and what is it like getting around the place. The roads seem quite spaced out, or not many options, I presume due to the fenlands.

Any other days out we should consider, between us we like art galleries, museums, Castles, Historic houses, beach and hill walks/rambles (less than 8 miles) but not fell walking.

We take the year 5 classes from our Primary School to Cromer each year for a week. The North Norfolk coast is very nice for walking - the coastal walk from Hunstanton round to Cromer is a nice day out. If you like visiting stately home, then the stateliest is Sandringham, which is worth a trip. Can always spend a day or so round the Broads. If you want to come into Suffolk, then there is Sutton Hoo near Woodbridge, the coast at Aldeburgh and Southwold are very nice. Lavenham and Long Melford are worth trips - (Kentwell and Long Melford Halls are in that area) - Lavenham has some of the most beautifully preserved Mediaeval wool merchants houses you will find anywhere.

And if you get the timing of your holiday right, we have an East Anglian Forum meet at Thetford GC on June 29th!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks swing slow, but I'll probably be the school hols, I did check that out actually on the arrange a game section.

Funny someone from Norfolk said I shouldn't bother with Suffolk......

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sheringham would be quite handy as it has what looks to be a very interesting course that goes a long the cliff there. Plus it has a train which I believe goes to Norwich. Dereham is an alright place as it is along the a47 so it can get you to kings lynn or norwich in a shortish time how ever I am not sure if there is much to do in Dereham. The problem you have is no matter where you end up staying you can quite easily end up travelling an hour to get to the next place.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks swing slow, but I'll probably be the school hols, I did check that out actually on the arrange a game section.

Funny someone from Norfolk said I shouldn't bother with Suffolk......

Dont tell anyone but I actually go camping in Suffolk, very nice really but I drive down with a hoodie on so no one recognises me, I also stop the car on the way home to wash the Suffolk mud off lol.

I wouldnt pick Dereham personally, you need to stay away from the A47, A11, A12, A14, these are handy for getting around but you miss all the countryside and just the pleasure of being in our fantastic counties. If you like boats then how about paying a fortune for a Broads cruiser, hellishly expensive but good fun. Blickling Hall near Aylsham is a National Trust property which is very fine. Happisburgh has the only privately run lighthouse in the UK, Great Yarmouth markets chips are to die for, as are Dunwich's. Wells next the sea is fun and there is a huge beach with shell island on it. Norwich is "a fine city", we have that on all the signs, the castle and cathedral are great attractions and we have a premier league football team, which they dont have in Suffolk.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dont tell anyone but I actually go camping in Suffolk, very nice really but I drive down with a hoodie on so no one recognises me, I also stop the car on the way home to wash the Suffolk mud off lol.

I wouldnt pick Dereham personally, you need to stay away from the A47, A11, A12, A14, these are handy for getting around but you miss all the countryside and just the pleasure of being in our fantastic counties. If you like boats then how about paying a fortune for a Broads cruiser, hellishly expensive but good fun. Blickling Hall near Aylsham is a National Trust property which is very fine. Happisburgh has the only privately run lighthouse in the UK, Great Yarmouth markets chips are to die for, as are Dunwich's. Wells next the sea is fun and there is a huge beach with shell island on it. Norwich is "a fine city", we have that on all the signs, the castle and cathedral are great attractions and we have a premier league football team, which they dont have in Suffolk.

Thought about the boat option, but with our pooch as well, so dont want to risk it. Maybe next time.