Advice

Viewer

Visit site
Not just that, but I can’t get my head round the fact that for singles you have to declare beforehand that you are putting a card in, but 4bbb will be decided for you after the round 🤔🤷

All competitions are declared beforehand aren’t they?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
See below for what it says in our Handicap Manual (Canada).
When I'm playing, there is nearly always competition within the my group (often four-ball match play) and/or between our groups. Imo, that makes every score an acceptable score for handicapping and we are expected to post it. If there is not competition within my group, say when I'm playing with my family, I'm still competing against the course and myself, so that is also an acceptable score for posting.
1) Do you predeclare all the rounds in the last category (ie if there is not 'competition' or with your family etc)

Much of the club 'competitive' golf here is played in groups where teams or four (or three) play best 3 from 4 (or best 2 from 3). Often one player will pick up or or otherwise lose interest in a hole and not bother trying to make their 'best' score. Others play in a group where individuals will concentrate on practicing particular shots. None of these will be returned for handicapping.

D-S

Visit site
1) Do you predeclare all the rounds in the last category (ie if there is not 'competition' or with your family etc)

Much of the club 'competitive' golf here is played in groups where teams or four (or three) play best 3 from 4 (or best 2 from 3). Often one player will pick up or or otherwise lose interest in a hole and not bother trying to make their 'best' score. Others play in a group where individuals will concentrate on practicing particular shots. None of these will be returned for handicapping.
He would only need to pre declare if he is governed by CONGU and playing in a CONGU country. Also if his handicap is from outside CONGU or he is playing outside CONGU team golf will be ‘acceptable’ for handicapping due to MLS as long as he is playing his own ball.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure about Australia but it certainly is in some European countries, do you think UK golfers who are returning GP scores from Spain for example are ‘pre declaring’ them?
I thought “pre-registered private rounds” replaced Extra Day Scores in Europe (EGA) (or at least in Germany).

D-S

Visit site
I thought “pre-registered private rounds” replaced Extra Day Scores in Europe (EGA) (or at least in Germany).
Apparently not the case in Spain, just time and date of score required. Also seemingly GP scores not acceptable for players with HIs below 4.4 and a maximum of one per month.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

There is no "pre-declaration" required for any rounds. All posted rounds are equivalent, no differentiation between tournament rounds or general/casual rounds. As indicated earlier, players are expected to post all acceptable scores.
We also play best 2 or 3 net scores in a group against other groups. Players can pick up as they wish, using most likely score up to net double bogey for posting.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If there's "automatic" declaration by entering a 4BBB why aren't all scores taken into account...not just good ones?
Possibly because of the dynamics of the game. Detailed advice between partners. One player 'giving' up on a hole when he can't contribute to the score. But that's just speculation of course.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
If there's "automatic" declaration by entering a 4BBB why aren't all scores taken into account...not just good ones?
Because National Associations attached to CONGU refuse to adopt MLS. Instead they have choosen a system that makes little sense, just about better though than ignoring 4B scores as WHS does currently in the UK.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd be stunned if anyone was ever actually penalised for it - it would have to be a pretty blatant thing where one player was practically caddying for another I think. There's just so many grey areas otherwise. My mate today was waffling on the par 3 about what club to hit - "if that wind gets up again I'll have to hit a 9". It's not for the purpose of giving me advice (as I said in the other topic, he has very different irons and swing speed to me so what club he hits is pretty irrelevant), he's just thinking out loud and chatting away.

I think it's a little silly that you can't ask what club someone's using but looking into the bag to see what one is missing is absolutely fine. On that level I think you might as well remove the rule really.

They are harsh in the pro game though.

Arnie Palmer got penalised. He had an inexperienced young caddie with him once after the young lad saw the other player's shot he praised him and then asked what club he had hit, Arnie penalised for the caddie's question.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They are harsh in the pro game though.

Arnie Palmer got penalised. He had an inexperienced young caddie with him once after the young lad saw the other player's shot he praised him and then asked what club he had hit, Arnie penalised for the caddie's question.
Whereas nowadays the caddies all have hand signals for each club so they can tell one another without being caught.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because National Associations attached to CONGU refuse to adopt MLS. Instead they have choosen a system that makes little sense, just about better though than ignoring 4B scores as WHS does currently in the UK.
From the statement • Further parts of the world will be added in due course as the USGA and R&A complete their global project • my understanding was that it was to be rolled to the row.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Whereas nowadays the caddies all have hand signals for each club so they can tell one another without being caught.
As jim8flog said above, the caddies do provide the club information for the TV broadcasters. The caddies do know the Rules about advice to other players and would be caught by the referees. The players expect the competition to be played by all the Rules.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As jim8flog said above, the caddies do provide the club information for the TV broadcasters. The caddies do know the Rules about advice to other players and would be caught by the referees. The players expect the competition to be played by all the Rules.

But isn't that the whole point,they signal to the broadcasters but what's to stop the other caddies just watching those signals

Or claiming they were signaling to broadcasters

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They just look in each others bags on the tee. Nothing wrong with that.
There is a famous anecdote about one pro doing something to the number or putting the wrong headcover on a Club (probably when pros played with 4 or 5 woods) so other pros did not know what he used.