Touring England, advice, ideas.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The missus and I are thinking of visiting my nephew in Gosport and staying a day or two, hoping to get a game on the way and with my nephew somewhere not too far away. Possibly sometime during the last 2 weeks in July.
We'll be travelling down from just outside Glasgow, having a few breaks on the way down, and the same on the return journey.
We/I need to find a nice hotel to stay in for a night or 2, ideally about halfway to split the journey, both ways.
I was hoping to sneak in a game somewhere halfway there or on the way back or maybe both if I behave.
The problem is, the missus doesn't play golf, so I need to find somewhere she can entertain herself for a few hours if I'm lucky enough to get offered a game somewhere and en route.
No route decided yet, probably M74, M6, M5, but could easily cut across the country.
TIA

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I guess it depends on your budget and her likes. If she likes spa treatments maybe try the resort hotels like the Mere at Knutsford and the Belfry. If it’s window shopping then try town centre hotels in places like Chester, Shrewsbury and Cheltenham.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess it rather depends on where you might get 'golf offers' from as to which route you might take? But for that journey I'd do M74/M6/M40/A34 and you could consider Oxford, Newbury or Winchester for the Mrs at the bottom end of your journey. But whichever way, am sure there's forummers nearby each route., and suitable choices for your wife.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
M6, M42, M40 brings you to Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwick, Royal Leamington Spa.
Plenty of sights to see + golf courses.
Back on to M40 to Oxford. Loads there.
A34 to Gosport.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess it depends on your budget and her likes. If she likes spa treatments maybe try the resort hotels like the Mere at Knutsford and the Belfry. If it’s window shopping then try town centre hotels in places like Chester, Shrewsbury and Cheltenham.
I played Mere earlier this year, absolutely loved it. If she doesn't want to do the spa, your wife @williamalex1 can always have a wander into Knutsford. Very pleasant and just a mile or 2 away. Straight back on the M6 after (jct 19).

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Look how many golf courses have a stately home etc near by, quite a few with Belton House and Burleigh House near me being 2 examples. If that is her thing, aim for courses wiht something similar near by so as you can be dropped off and she can enjoy the estate and grounds nearby.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not that I have played any of them there are plenty of good courses in the Bristol area.

Drop the missus off at Cribbs Causeway Shopping Centre(junction 17 M5) if she gets bored and has a bus pass there are busses from there to the the City centre.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PS
It does seem a long way round to Gosport

If I was planning a direct route on the section Midlands to South route it would be it would

M5 to junction 4A
M42
M40 to Junction 9
The A34 (dual Carriageway) all the way down to the M3

Warning - if you are travelling at the weekend the M5 from somewhere north of Bristol all teh way down to Exeter can get pretty packed and slow and if you are thinking Junction 25 (Taunton then due East the same can be said) and if taking that route definitely think of going A303 Salisbury to Southampton, although all roads in this part of of the West Country can get pretty bad at weekends.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having spent the week In Staffordshire, I would highly recommend staying away from Stoke. Never been to such a depressing place. Rest of the area is great, loads of country walks and canals but can’t comment on the golf.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Best route down is M6-M5 to Cheltenham Jct 11a.
A417 to Swindon [virtually all dual roadway]- M4 to Newbury - A34 -Winchester- M3 to Southampton M27 to Portsmouth
Re golf stop. The Belfry I would recommend.

PS avoid any traveling on a Friday after 2pm anywhere south of the M4.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd go down the M74 with your binoculars stop around Gretna. You can probably see enough of England form there. You can then turn round.
Get your nephew to come to Scotland he'd enjoy it more.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having spent the week In Staffordshire, I would highly recommend staying away from Stoke. Never been to such a depressing place. Rest of the area is great, loads of country walks and canals but can’t comment on the golf.

lived in Stoke for 3 years at Uni - can't faault your description. But i still llve to stay for a night or 2 every 2 or 3 years and revisit old haunts - like Zarkas kebab shop!! But sould destroyingly bleak and dissapointing to see that Hanley and Stoke area is even more depressed than it was in the mid 90s. Estae Agents would say up and coming!

Tower

Visit site
Make sure you stop at Tebay Services for a break. Southbound mybe not quite as impressive s Northbound for me, but owned and run by locals and both beat the pants off other Motorway Services.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m less than an hour from Gosport…in fact you’d be 20mins from me as you drive past on the M3 - you’d be very welcome @Billy. Farnham is a lovely old town with good shops, and Guildford is 10mins away.
Cheers Hugh, If things work out I'll defo take you up on your offer, It would be nice to meet up again.