Advice

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I would have thought that the top players have a fairly good idea what distances they hit - unless they are members of a golf forum where they will tell little fibs :ROFLMAO:

Yup, I guess it would be idle curiosity at best
I doubt (also a guess) that any tour pro would be influenced in the slightest by what club another player hits

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yup, I guess it would be idle curiosity at best
I doubt (also a guess) that any tour pro would be influenced in the slightest by what club another player hits
I don't fully agree with this , even the best players get surprises as to how far their balls go and it's usually because they don't know the effect of the wind. If they were sure what club a fellow professional took and sure they were trying to swing normally I think they would occasionally change. I would hazard a guess that for instance in Ryder cups 4ball they do occasionally change club.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think we can all be influenced by what others hit, especially if we know roughly how far they can hit it.

I've known a player to tee up before me on a par 3, hit a club and end up well short. They look surprised, and might say something like "wow, I hit an 8 iron there, can't believe I came up that short". With that information, and knowing they didn't mishit it or acknowledge they swung too slowly and should have given it more, I will probably end up going back to my back and selecting a club that goes a bit further than my original selection. To be fair, they probably don't even need to tell me what club they hit. The very fact that they reveal their surprise at how long the hole played compared to what they thought, is probably enough "advice" I need to change my club selection.

But then again, are such comments advice, or just a general reaction to their own shot. So, there is no penalty for such a reaction. But, if they said "wow, I hit an 8 iron there, this hole is playing 1 or 2 clubs more than you think", is that more likely going to fit the bill of advice?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I think we can all be influenced by what others hit, especially if we know roughly how far they can hit it.

I've known a player to tee up before me on a par 3, hit a club and end up well short. They look surprised, and might say something like "wow, I hit an 8 iron there, can't believe I came up that short". With that information, and knowing they didn't mishit it or acknowledge they swung too slowly and should have given it more, I will probably end up going back to my back and selecting a club that goes a bit further than my original selection. To be fair, they probably don't even need to tell me what club they hit. The very fact that they reveal their surprise at how long the hole played compared to what they thought, is probably enough "advice" I need to change my club selection.

But then again, are such comments advice, or just a general reaction to their own shot. So, there is no penalty for such a reaction. But, if they said "wow, I hit an 8 iron there, this hole is playing 1 or 2 clubs more than you think", is that more likely going to fit the bill of advice?
Could be neither or both, it depends on their intent. Imo, the second statement is closer to advice than the first, but it still depends on intent.