Relocating away from London.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hope this appeals to very few or no one, if you get my meaning.
David Attenborough country.
Circle of extreme pleasantness between Loughborough and Leicester.
Also contains 5 golf courses.
Members only. Visitors by arrangement only. (I'm applying that, facetiously, to the whole area, not the golf courses)
Otherwise, please stay well away from here. ;)

View attachment 39806

Looks like the vegans are well served:LOL:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How do know the area you move to won't go downhill after you move in?

It’ll go down hill the day we exchange contracts ?.

In all seriousness you run the risk of any town going down hill over a period of time especially if they are doing newer build developments, this is why we are looking more rural villages closer/between towns. The fact is the area of London we are in 10 /15 years ago is night a day difference to today, if we do 15 years at the next stop that will be the end of a mortgage and will open up again maybe one more move complete out.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We moved to Herne bay 5 years ago, building everywhere now, there's a development in farmland starting next year, 1500 houses, all the construction traffic will be using the village roads, even though in the initial consultation they were going to put in a dedicated access road ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Used to go herne bay in a regular basis then BOOM out of no where, that development on the left as you pull of the m2 pops up. The risk you always run in Kent as it seems to be constantly developing ever since ashford 20 years ago.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You need to go hardcore on Escape to the Country for a while :D. That will give you an indication of which counties are best for getting the most out of your money. It doesn't help with the nuts and bolts of what is around you, that is homework you have to do yourself I'm afraid, but it can give a guide. Oh, and it is fun.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Im another to suggest Worcester, Malvern and the surrounding towns and villages.

Never feel like I am far from anywhere in England and never more than 10 minutes from the countryside.

London in 2 hours or less, Manchester in 2 1/2, Birmingham in 40 mins.

Cotswolds, south wales, seasides all not too far.

Lovely part of the world.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Oh, I forgot to mention. This tiny area also contains (as well as the 5 golf courses) Bradgate Park, Beacon Hill, Swithland Wood, Loughborough Outwoods, Cropston Reservoir, Swithland Reservoir, and a steam railway line. No more human beings are necessary, thank you.

heaven-jpg.39806

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If it helps you guys now have me looking at areas based on courses and travel distance to local links courses. It just become so more complicated ????

Optom

Visit site
My sister has done a fair bit of research and is relocating to Weymouth leaving Mayfield in East Sussex.Don’t know what the golf courses are like close to Weymouth though but loooks a nice part of the country.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My sister has done a fair bit of research and is relocating to Weymouth leaving Mayfield in East Sussex.Don’t know what the golf courses are like close to Weymouth though but loooks a nice part of the country.

Weymouth / Dorchester / swanage / Lyme Regis was along our thought process.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Weymouth / Dorchester / swanage / Lyme Regis was along our thought process.

would have a good look at traffic levels in large parts of those areas and make sure you know just how long places take to get to, especially in season, this was a killer for us when on the coast in Dorset (albeit other side of Bournemouth)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We have had a week in the Lyme Regis area most years, maybe 75%, for the last 25 years. Only ever May and Sept/Oct, so don't know what it is like at height of tourist season.
We have looked at house prices over the years, because we like the area so much. Always way higher than Leicestershire and family ties keep us here.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys. Clearly lots to consider, I think for us the step next year high season is to visit a few places around the Dorchester and new forest areas looking a infrastructure and also traffic etc. we’re in a great location at the moment so I’m aware that sacrifices on this front need to be made.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If get more for my money in itchenor, hayling island or west wittering compared to where I am now but would need a similar mortgage which kinda defeats the point. But some nice places and apparently a good links course.