Re- Gripping

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the clubs still have the original grips or at least the grips are perfectly aligned I put a piece of masking tape just below the grip and mark where the centre is with a pencil or sharpie, makes it easier and quicker to get the grip on straight. Measure the grip with a tape or use another unfitted grip to check the fitted size is correct and it hasn't been overstretched. As mentioned before I use a 12" paint tray which has a pouring spout for collection excess fluid and cover the vent hole at the end of the grip with a cloth to save it shooting out all over yourself. Wear old clothes, boiler suit or apron as it does smell if you get it on your clothes. Clamp the club in a workmate or vice and use plenty of fluid and the grips will slide on easily.

Thanks for the tips I especially liked putting masking tape and marking the Centre of grip much easier ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the tips I put all the grips on the radiator to soften them a bit. ?

When I gave you this tip it was for Winn style grips which have very thick rubber round the hole. It should not be needed with standard grips provide they are not freezing cold.

One important point is if you are now going to use 3/4 wide tape spiralled round the shaft makes sure all sections of the butt opening are covered by the tape as the sharp edges may cut in to the grip as you push it on. Some fitter using this method will wind a very narrow strip of masking tape around the hole first. Personally I would do it second so the edge it is facing the right way.

This a Callaway shaft

DSCN3822.JPG

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
plenty of white spirit or solvent and tap the grip end on the floor when you've fitted it to make sure it is on all the way. I put masking take around the shaft just below the old grip and mark the centre line - makes it much easier to make sure that the new grip is on straight.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I gave you this tip it was for Winn style grips which have very thick rubber round the hole. It should not be needed with standard grips provide they are not freezing cold.

One important point is if you are now going to use 3/4 wide tape spiralled round the shaft makes sure all sections of the butt opening are covered by the tape as the sharp edges may cut in to the grip as you push it on. Some fitter using this method will wind a very narrow strip of masking tape around the hole first. Personally I would do it second so the edge it is facing the right way.

This a Callaway shaft

View attachment 34631

When I took the grips of my Calloway woods the tape was done like that, all 9 grips on now and I did cover the but end?

It was really simple to do once I had the right tape ?

Should get a game this weekend so should see a difference. Thanks again ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I took the grips of my Calloway woods the tape was done like that, all 9 grips on now and I did cover the but end?

It was really simple to do once I had the right tape ?

Should get a game this weekend so should see a difference. Thanks again ?

Well done pleased to here it.

Now I can tell you I made quite a few mistakes when I first started doing it around 25 years ago. My biggest 'oh no ' was when the solvent I used dissolved all the silk screen writing on the shaft labels.