Re-gripping clubs

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought about going this route.....just went with the vise instead. Depending on how often I change grips.....I may go compressor at some point.

The compressor route is good one if you are gong to do it often. It allows good grips to be easily salvaged for reuse or if you have got the alignment wrong to take it back off and do it again. You do need a suitable sized tube to stop the grip from ballooning.
It also means that on some shafts I just leave the existing tape on and add layer of extra thin double sided tape for the regrip.

I bought my compressor for other reasons (mainly tyre inflation) but it has proved useful for many purposes.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Your grips have logos?
"Old Tom" or something? ?‍♂️ ?

I'd love to be able to find period grips but there aren't any around and if there were I'm sure they'd be rock hard and impossible to get on.

Whenever possible I retain the original grip but if they're shot or have been replaced in the not too past then I'll happily re-grip.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
OK on a serious note ?, I do actually remember wrap-around leather grips from the 80s, similar to tennis ? racquets I guess.

Sometimes you can strike it lucky and get some decent original leather wraps.

Pic 1 is a set of 1957 Dunlop Peter Thomson irons.
Pic 2 is a set of JB Halley "Tournament" irons from a similar date, one odd grip but they're all playable.

1595107337828.png
1595107414656.png

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The compressor route is good one if you are gong to do it often. It allows good grips to be easily salvaged for reuse or if you have got the alignment wrong to take it back off and do it again. You do need a suitable sized tube to stop the grip from ballooning.
It also means that on some shafts I just leave the existing tape on and add layer of extra thin double sided tape for the regrip.

I bought my compressor for other reasons (mainly tyre inflation) but it has proved useful for many purposes.
I use a piece of 32mm plastic waste pipe.Works a treat:)