Random Irritations

Asian Dawn

Visit site
We’re out in Florida at the moment. It’s not the first time we’ve been here by any means, and the potential for the Americans to litigate has never been lost on me, but virtually every roadside advert is for litigation lawyers.

We were on Clearwater beach yesterday and a single seater aircraft flew by towing a banner. To my dismay it didn’t say “Glazers Out” - it was advertising yet another lawyer offering their services to anyone injured in a fender bender.

Really boils my wee.

Because the Tampa sports fans are not morons like most of the brainwashed Manchester United "we're so entitled to success" clowns.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Listening to Scott Mills on R2 'interviewing' a puppet from a kids TV program. The puppet was just barking the answers so made no sense whatsoever. Glad our TV license money is being well spent

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Driving up from Chertsey to Glasgow on Friday. Just over 400 miles took just under 10 hours. Yes, we were towing a caravan but it was mainly down to road works, heavy traffic, accidents, etc. I don't think we'd have been much faster without it.
Wot…no nuisance protesters blocking roads and otherwise slowing things up and adding 3hrs to your journey…🙄🤔

pompeybandit

Visit site
Builders trying to invoice me a full day for 2 hours work. Good luck with that!
I'm intrigued what work they quoted for. On most of my jobs we allow two whole days to complete the install. Most are done in two 3/4 days, can't really book in other work for those 2/3 hours we have spare though. But I always tell the customer how long it will be if it everything goes to plan leaving no ill feeling as we disappear out the door at 2pm.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Does it matter?

Invoice showed 3 days labour and included the day rate. They were on site for 2 hours on 2 days and 6 hours the third. They could have stayed all day on days one and two. I suspect they were off on another job.

I emailed their office with arrival and departure times and said please send correct invoice.

They did within 10 minutes. I paid within 5 mins of receiving it.

Honest error or trying it on?🤔

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Have you ever considered that those prices are what teachers and their families have to pay for all of their careers? With no option to take a week off and pay a fine or two.

After my wife left teaching last year we had our cheapest holiday week ever - we married just after she completed teacher training almost 40 years ago.
Sorry but what’s that got to do with them tossing it off 1wk before they break of for their 6wk holiday?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry but what’s that got to do with them tossing it off 1wk before they break of for their 6wk holiday?

Well they can't go away then ...

It may be "tossing it off" but if they allow say 6 weeks to learn something and the kids pick it up in 5 happy days

They can't start the next year's work as it will be forgotten over the summer

Standard planning to allow for an overun week

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Explain how the earth went through all its incredible swings in temperatures over the aeons it has been in existence before us apes came along to mess things up.
You've kind of answered your own question. The earth went/goes through natural cycles of warming and cooling, there is lots of well documented scientific evidence to support this. The us apes came along and, well, messed things up. Our actions of burning stuff to power other stuff released environmentally toxic gasses into the atmosphere that has screwed whatever natural cycle we were on. Our actions, rather than our presence, has accelerated the warming cycle by, possibly, millennia (if some science is to be believed) rather than possibly those aeons you mention.

Climate change deniers are now up there with flat earthers in the belligerent idiocy stakes.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Explain how the earth went through all its incredible swings in temperatures over the aeons it has been in existence before us apes came along to mess things up.
So you’re using well established science to try and disprove well established science that uses the same evidence? Think about that.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gary Lineker. AGAIN!!!!. I've got no problem with him tweeting about climate change and the drastic actions that we need to take "for our children" as he put it, but to do so from his summer holiday in Ibiza which I'm assuming he didn't cycle to get there is a touch hypocritical.

Why is it that so many of the "elite" that are preaching to us about climate change are doing so having flown somewhere on a private jet and then had a chauffeur driven 4 x 4 to meet them at the plane and drive them to wherever they're giving their lecture?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Mentioned this on the Football Thread, but I was slightly annoyed that Trevor Francis' passing warranted about 30 seconds on the BBC news yet George Alagiah took up the first 10 minutes of the news at 6 pm today and then went back later for another feature about his life.

I get he was a colleague and a respected newsreader, who sadly passed away after a battle with cancer, but surely he didn't justify that much coverage when it was hardly a quiet news day given what is happening in Greece.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Gary Lineker. AGAIN!!!!. I've got no problem with him tweeting about climate change and the drastic actions that we need to take "for our children" as he put it, but to do so from his summer holiday in Ibiza which I'm assuming he didn't cycle to get there is a touch hypocritical.

Why is it that so many of the "elite" that are preaching to us about climate change are doing so having flown somewhere on a private jet and then had a chauffeur driven 4 x 4 to meet them at the plane and drive them to wherever they're giving their lecture?
Agree.....I am just watching that eco warrior Chris Packham present the series "Earth" on BBC. Can't stand the bloke but the content is interesting and educational.

What I find annoying is that he preaches about ecology and climate change, yet appears in all these exotic locations around the world for a few minutes in each episode, sometimes without a lot of relevance to what he is discussing. For such a vocal campaigner he must have contributed to global warming by flying all around the globe!!