Random Irritations

RichA

Visit site
How about convoluted grammar to disguise the meaning of statements, as in,

"I've never seen a cat I didn't like that wasn't dead."

Is there a word or phrase to describe this.

The above statement states that every observed living cat has been liked.
Extraneous convolutionism (made up).

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lineker’s points are valid. His location is inconsequential. Mentioning them implies a link to what he’s saying. If that link wasn’t meant, then I will accept that.
I think this is where the vagaries of written language and subsequent interpretation comes in. I read it that the location IS inconsequential in and of itself, it is the method of getting to the location that creates the incongruity. If he didn't use a heavily polluting method of travel to reach that destination then fair enough in my opinion.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
I think this is where the vagaries of written language and subsequent interpretation comes in. I read it that the location IS inconsequential in and of itself, it is the method of getting to the location that creates the incongruity. If he didn't use a heavily polluting method of travel to reach that destination then fair enough in my opinion.
His words carry no less truth if he runs around chopping down trees for fun.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, they don't. But by his words he is claiming to have higher moral standards than his actions reflect. Is that not the definition of hypocrisy?

As is always the case in the big wide world, we can safely disagree and the world will still turn and the sun will still rise.

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
His words may carry truth but the way he has spoken the words (by flying somewhere) has not only diluted the words but made him out to be above the problem and better than us. This does not help in his spreading of the gospel according to Sir Gary.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure it’s easy to cut all climate damaging actions out of one’s lifestyle? Seems some activities attract ire while others get a pass. I reckon my impact on the planet is less than most but I’m on a foreign holiday at the moment and have no plans to stop flying any time soon. Does that mean I can’t talk about climate change?
I'm flying to Portugal on Thursday and have no plans to stop flying :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Not sure it’s easy to cut all climate damaging actions out of one’s lifestyle? Seems some activities attract ire while others get a pass. I reckon my impact on the planet is less than most but I’m on a foreign holiday at the moment and have no plans to stop flying any time soon. Does that mean I can’t talk about climate change?
No. Not at all.

I try to be better all the time with regards my carbon footprint. Little things like switching off plugs, better at recycling, etc. and I know I could do a lot more but life can’t be one constant chore.