Random Irritations

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not sure it’s easy to cut all climate damaging actions out of one’s lifestyle? Seems some activities attract ire while others get a pass. I reckon my impact on the planet is less than most but I’m on a foreign holiday at the moment and have no plans to stop flying any time soon. Does that mean I can’t talk about climate change?

I believe in being proportional. I fly several times a year but try to cut or limit other areas of how I live. The hybrid car being a nod towards that. I could have saved a good few thousand ££ by going for a diesel. Until the scientists develop teletransportation I’ll continue to fly.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
2 weeks ago HS2 closed the road to the golf club at one end in order to do some essential work...
It was supposed to reopen yesterday
It's staying closed until next week...
No reason, no notice..just still closed.
The congestion caused triples the time to get to and from the club.
And its happening everywhere the line crosses a road.
I am starting to hate HS2 with every fibre of my being...and this is only the start.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 weeks ago HS2 closed the road to the golf club at one end in order to do some essential work...
I am starting to hate HS2 with every fibre of my being...and this is only the start.

A giant waste of money. Do we really need to cut trains to London by 20 mins? Buying up masses of expensive land at our expense

Rather than starting in the north and improve all the lines up there where the land is a lot cheaper and could do with investment!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A giant waste of money. Do we really need to cut trains to London by 20 mins? Buying up masses of expensive land at our expense

Rather than starting in the north and improve all the lines up there where the land is a lot cheaper and could do with investment!
I think it’s more to increase capacity and to give the intercity trains a track free of slower moving local services and goods trains - and to avoid the delays that are experienced when one of these slower trains are delayed or breakdown, usually as a result of their comprising older engines and rolling stock. The HS2 dedicated line will provide for much greater reliability and predictability - and it is surely that which most passengers yearn for from our rail service.

I should add that I do not have a settled view on whether HS2 is actually worth it, or whether better northern East to West rail connectivity would have been better investment choice.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it’s more to increase capacity and to give the intercity trains a track free of slower moving local services and goods trains - and to avoid the delays that are experienced when one of these slower trains are delayed or breakdown, usually as a result of their comprising older engines and rolling stock. The HS2 dedicated line will provide for much greater reliability and predictability - and it is surely that which most passengers yearn for from our rail service.

I should add that I do not have a settled view on whether HS2 is actually worth it, or whether better northern East to West rail connectivity would have been better investment choice.

You could do all of the increased capacity etc without HS2 just invest in the current infrastructure that's the frustrating thing

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

And that, trust me, is one heck of a lot of fibre 🤭

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You could do all of the increased capacity etc without HS2 just invest in the current infrastructure that's the frustrating thing
It's mind blowing what a cloak waste of money it has been, and how little benefit.
4 track a few bits in the west Midlands and use about 1/4 of the rest to build a109mph line from Liverpool to hull via Manc and Leeds/ Sheffield.
Twice the benefit for a while lot less

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No. Not at all.

I try to be better all the time with regards my carbon footprint. Little things like switching off plugs, better at recycling, etc. and I know I could do a lot more but life can’t be one constant chore.
For a start, if you stopped posting on the Forum it would reduce the amount of hot air by a significant amount!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First world problems

We are paid 4 weekly so last "tax year" we got 14 pays not 13 pay days

No extra money actually arrived still a 4 week gap between the pays

We all getting letters from HMRC saying we underpaid in tax even tho we were fully taxed on those earnings

Great cheers

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mrs H’s sight in her right eye deteriorating to the extent she doesn’t feel safe driving. In truth, she’s hardly driven for a year now. People have started noticing that if they’re on her right she turns more than 90* to see them. I’m heartbroken for her…

Isn't there anything that can be done to correct it? I imagine the loss of independance is a tough one to take.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Mrs H’s sight in her right eye deteriorating to the extent she doesn’t feel safe driving. In truth, she’s hardly driven for a year now. People have started noticing that if they’re on her right she turns more than 90* to see them. I’m heartbroken for her…

That’s really sad to hear, Brian.

I’ve had awful trouble with my eyes in the last couple of years - detached retinas in both requiring all sorts of interventions. Makes you realise what a precious gift sight is.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
That’s really sad to hear, Brian.

I’ve had awful trouble with my eyes in the last couple of years - detached retinas in both requiring all sorts of interventions. Makes you realise what a precious gift sight is.

As a non-drinker she was our designated driver but at least she still thinks I’m a double of a young Robert Redford. Small Murphys