Random Irritations

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Why wait until they have passed their test. Do it before like plenty do my way

I know the law changed in 2018 to allow learner drivers on motorways but it seems hardly any instructors venture on with pupils. I don’t know why.

A lot of instructors offer post test lessons, but the take up, as I say, is negligible.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I know the law changed in 2018 to allow learner drivers on motorways but it seems hardly any instructors venture on with pupils. I don’t know why.

A lot of instructors offer post test lessons, but the take up, as I say, is negligible.
They can only ,really, go on the motorways when they're almost ready for test....as an Instructor you have to be sure they're capable.
With the state of the waiting times for tests - still nearly 6 months almost 2 years after the end of lockdown - emphasis is being put on making sure they're 100% ready rather than trying to do other stuff that they won't be tested on.

Billysboots

Visit site
They can only ,really, go on the motorways when they're almost ready for test....as an Instructor you have to be sure they're capable.
With the state of the waiting times for tests - still nearly 6 months almost 2 years after the end of lockdown - emphasis is being put on making sure they're 100% ready rather than trying to do other stuff that they won't be tested on.

And in truth, much of the poor motorway driving is from those who passed their test prior to the law change anyway.

You must tear your hair out at what you see on the roads.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And in truth, much of the poor motorway driving is from those who passed their test prior to the law change anyway.

I think most people do.
Problem is, whenever you see a tv program that has cars on a motorway, the lead car is never sitting anywhere other than the middle lane with the inside lane empty. So no matter whats taught, the subliminal message is "sit in the middle lane"

Billysboots

Visit site
I think most people do.
Problem is, whenever you see a tv program that has cars on a motorway, the lead car is never sitting anywhere other than the middle lane with the inside lane empty. So no matter whats taught, the subliminal message is "sit in the middle lane"

I think I’ve said it here previously, but I’ve heard lane one referred to down the years as the slow lane, lorry lane and any number of other misnomers. Whilst those labels remain in use, you’re never going to convince many drivers that they can actually drive at 70mph in lane one.

Imurg

Visit site

I would if I had any left....
Since I packed up in October I've had more time to watch the other drivers....Jesus H Christ I wish I hadn't.
So many on the road that you can look at and think they've bought their licence from the corner shop..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've only been driving two years. As said above, my instructor offered me the pass plus motorway driving, but my wife has been driving for a decade so I just decided to make sure she was in the car with me for my first few motorway journeys.

I think I’ve said it here previously, but I’ve heard lane one referred to down the years as the slow lane, lorry lane and any number of other misnomers. Whilst those labels remain in use, you’re never going to convince many drivers that they can actually drive at 70mph in lane one.
This is the main reason I tend to sit in the middle/second lane a lot of the time. The sheer number of lorries you would simply be constantly changing lanes at times. If the left lane is empty, of course I move into it, but that is rarely ever the case. At least on journeys I make. Another factor for some people might be that it's just easier for people entering the motorway if you leave that lane open for them. Plus sometimes the left lane branches off into an exit so you avoid leaving the motorway by accident. :LOL:

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair enough, I obviously misunderstood the requirements.
I know when both my daughters first passed, the first thing I did was make then take me out onto a motorway, and make sure they understood lane discipline and use. It also highlights having your mirrors set correctly.
My old man did the same with me, down the M3, M25 then back on the M4.

I've started doing a fair bit of motorway driving again after a long break and the standard has got worse, the number of people that are glued in the middle lane is horrendous, and don't get me started on people who try and join the motorway at 50mph.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I've only been driving two years. As said above, my instructor offered me the pass plus motorway driving, but my wife has been driving for a decade so I just decided to make sure she was in the car with me for my first few motorway journeys.

This is the main reason I tend to sit in the middle/second lane a lot of the time. The sheer number of lorries you would simply be constantly changing lanes at times. If the left lane is empty, of course I move into it, but that is rarely ever the case. At least on journeys I make. Another factor for some people might be that it's just easier for people entering the motorway if you leave that lane open for them. Plus sometimes the left lane branches off into an exit so you avoid leaving the motorway by accident. :LOL:
You are aware that you're allowed to change lanes, and it's a simple manoeuvre?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My computer screen at work is a little too close so rather than buy a deeper desk, set it up on a stand etc I decided to get an arm attachment, same as wall mounting a TV, to fit to my desk. I even used a brand I've used for a TV mount so I know it will be a good one.

It came today and I started to put it together. What should have been incredibly simple was made a real head scratcher by awful assembly instructions.

I gave up after an hour, my head hurt. I think I've since worked it out, walk away, cleared my mind, but it really didn't have to be that hard.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll just add to this
Lorry drivers who decide to overtake another lorry on the two mile uphill bit of the motorway making it look like the two of them are now in a race, not to mention blocking two lanes of the motorway

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'll just add to this
Lorry drivers who decide to overtake another lorry on the two mile uphill bit of the motorway making it look like the two of them are now in a race, not to mention blocking two lanes of the motorway

But does it matter if you’re behind them for an extra minute? A 60 mile journey is going to take about 60 minutes. Is 61 minutes really that bad? Too many frustrated, angry drivers out there that need to reflect a bit more. I was one of those frustrated drivers 25 years ago till a company car and up to 20 hours a week behind the wheel made me rethink my journeys. Same applies to tractors, caravans & a bunch of cyclists - being behind is actually a very short snapshot of a journey.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
This is why drivers a BMW is great. Move to the right hand lane and stay there whilst the peasants get out of the way.

It’s even better when driving a black estate, and even more so when I’m visiting site so have a high vis on.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
But does it matter if you’re behind them for an extra minute? A 60 mile journey is going to take about 60 minutes. Is 61 minutes really that bad? Too many frustrated, angry drivers out there that need to reflect a bit more. I was one of those frustrated drivers 25 years ago till a company car and up to 20 hours a week behind the wheel made me rethink my journeys. Same applies to tractors, caravans & a bunch of cyclists - being behind is actually a very short snapshot of a journey.

Aha, but sometimes you get trapped behind them. Everyone behind you sees what's happening and can move over to lane three making it impossible for you to get over into said lane three.

Imurg

Visit site
Aha, but sometimes you get trapped behind them. Everyone behind you sees what's happening and can move over to lane three making it impossible for you to get over into said lane three.
So it takes a few minutes longer...chill, go with the flow
You're not going anywhere so don't stress about it.

Imurg

Visit site
Why would you duck in and out of lanes constantly when you could just pass 8 lorries in one long swoop?
Depends on the gap between them and how busy the traffic is
No hard, fast rule as such but if its going to take 30 seconds to get to an overtaking position on the next truck then you should really move over..if it's busy then you may have a case for staying out as you'd struggle to get back out again.
If in doubt, move over..

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on the gap between them and how busy the traffic is
No hard, fast rule as such but if its going to take 30 seconds to get to an overtaking position on the next truck then you should really move over..if it's busy then you may have a case for staying out as you'd struggle to get back out again.
If in doubt, move over..
I find my moving in and out of lanes, indicator used each time seems to encourage others to follow suit.