Random Irritations

D

Deleted member 1740

I'd never heard of him until Monday.......wish I'd never heard of him...
Wouldn't mind quite so much if he was Argentinian but he's bloody Turkish......
Hope he crawls back under his rock soon coz he's more irritating than my brother......

Harsh but true??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So lets erase everything from the history books and just pretend it didn't happen
We don't live in history though (well not all of us), we live in the here and now. People should not be referred to as yellow in this day and age, unless they're in the Simpsons. As with Fairytale, it's a shame that changing the lyrics ruins the song a little, but I also totally understand why a large number of people don't want to hear that particular offending word, so if it can be changed and we can still listen to the song, that's a better outcome than they simply stop playing the song. We don't just continue to live by the standards of 30, 40 years ago.

D

Deleted member 31467

We don't live in history though (well not all of us), we live in the here and now. People should not be referred to as yellow in this day and age, unless they're in the Simpsons. As with Fairytale, it's a shame that changing the lyrics ruins the song a little, but I also totally understand why a large number of people don't want to hear that particular offending word, so if it can be changed and we can still listen to the song, that's a better outcome than they simply stop playing the song. We don't just continue to live by the standards of 30, 40 years ago.
You can call me white if you want although I'm actually pink but I won't take offence.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh the irony of the man who defends his clubs fans use of a offensive term as "theirs" but it's not OK to use offensive terms in a song....
If offensive words are going to be removed from song and things, it applies to football chants, even your own.

Mandofred

Visit site
This is one of those topics that there won't be any agreement on. People just have different views of things. Although at times I feel that at some point, somebody will object to just about any lyric in any song..... If you are searching for a way to be offended, you are likely to find it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
And so this is Christmas
For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The world is so wrong

And so happy Christmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red one
Let's stop all the fight

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the nasty cough and cold that's doing the rounds. Not flu but I do feel like I've been hit by a bus. Yesterday had to cancel golf and going to see granddaughter in hospital. Still feel rubbish so cancelling Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day plans as well:(

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the nasty cough and cold that's doing the rounds. Not flu but I do feel like I've been hit by a bus. Yesterday had to cancel golf and going to see granddaughter in hospital. Still feel rubbish so cancelling Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day plans as well:(
I feel for you - as I think I may have similar thing. The worst cough one's ever had? Coupled with cold symptoms? My goodness, I had no idea one body could contain quite so much snot ...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Boo. Seems a lot of nasty bugs going around this winter. Hope you feel better soon.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
You can call me white if you want although I'm actually pink but I won't take offence.

Exactly…. At the moment(sic) it is “all right” to describe someone as White or Black.
Because that is the colour they most closely resemble. There is no racist connotation to it .
If you asked someone to describe in colour Chinese, Japanese , and other nationalities from that part of the world, then yellow is the most likely. That is all the song was doing.
To do so isn’t racist, and in the song it is a succinct lyric to fit the song.
Within the song, it was merely saying “everyone”. I’m sure no racist intent was there when it was written, nor when it was sung.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
According to CAMRA we shouldn’t be using the phrases “pub crawl” and “happy hour” as they aren’t inclusive

What the infraction is going on in this infractioning world we live in?

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
According to CAMRA we shouldn’t be using the phrases “pub crawl” and “happy hour” as they aren’t inclusive

What the infraction is going on in this infractioning world we live in?

Thats something differnt though, thats CAMRA wanting to portay themselves as inclusive and not just the image of old geezers drinking pints of warm brown stuff.

sunshine

Visit site
Exactly…. At the moment(sic) it is “all right” to describe someone as White or Black.
Because that is the colour they most closely resemble. There is no racist connotation to it .
If you asked someone to describe in colour Chinese, Japanese , and other nationalities from that part of the world, then yellow is the most likely. That is all the song was doing.
To do so isn’t racist, and in the song it is a succinct lyric to fit the song.
Within the song, it was merely saying “everyone”. I’m sure no racist intent was there when it was written, nor when it was sung.

No. Chinese people aren’t yellow. As orikoru mentioned this is not the Simpsons.

Because you are not Chinese and you don’t find the term offensive then it’s ok?

Some of the people on here are incredible ??

D

Deleted member 31467

No. Chinese people aren’t yellow. As orikoru mentioned this is not the Simpsons.

Because you are not Chinese and you don’t find the term offensive then it’s ok?

Some of the people on here are incredible ??
I've never seen a black person. I've seen loads of people of various colours between light and very dark brown but never black. I've also never seen a white person apart from the odd Scotsman on the beach in Spain but I've seen loads of pink people. Why is it offensive to call someone the colour they actually are?