Random Irritations

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
This ones a belter……

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ion-photographer-asked-gentlemen-help-ladies/

It’s behind a paywall but in a nutshell
New Cambridge University students were getting pictures taken by an older photographer who, at the end of the session, said that if the “ladies” couldn’t get down from the platform, perhaps some “gentlemen would be willing to help”.
This led to a letter of complaint from the students asking that the photographer (who is not university staff) be given a formal due to him creating a “targeted atmosphere of inequality” where students were “made to feel unsafe”. It’s recommended that he is not put “in proximity to students” again.
Equating civil language like this, to violence is quite obviously an absolute joke!
View attachment 39701

Remind me again who is being triggered here?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Power is off at work. No lighting, no heating ?. I can respond to enquiries but we can't produce anything, we are mfrs. Likely to be off all day but we have collections today so I have to sit and wait for them to happen.

Edit : Power is back on. I have no feeling in my hands but at least we have heating again :D

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
First time I have used the rear demister in my new, old, car to clear the ice this morning. It barely works. One bottom corner is great, the rest is barely functional. I had the rear windows, including back window, tinted, the glass was completely clear and I have only gone for a factory fit tint, not drug dealer blacked out, and they may have broken the connection. They may not have done, it may have not worked since I have had it. Not sure if it can be resolved or whether it is just how it is unless I replace the whole rear window, which I can not justify. Irritating.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
First time I have used the rear demister in my new, old, car to clear the ice this morning. It barely works. One bottom corner is great, the rest is barely functional. I had the rear windows, including back window, tinted, the glass was completely clear and I have only gone for a factory fit tint, not drug dealer blacked out, and they may have broken the connection. They may not have done, it may have not worked since I have had it. Not sure if it can be resolved or whether it is just how it is unless I replace the whole rear window, which I can not justify. Irritating.

Surely if the connection is broken then none of the window would demist? :unsure:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Windows 11 update!

Seems my processor meets their criteria but isnt on the list of approved processors, 6th gen i7 too old and they obviously think I need to update. Looks like im staying on windows 10 :)

Now to fix why no other microsoft programs will boot up now sigh

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That is entirely logical but I'm not sure why one section, about 10 x 15cm in the bottom, passenger side corner, would work perfectly but the rest would not?

Hopefully some one may have the answer, google has failed me so far.

Doesn't the connection usually come into the window from both sides. So depending where the break is & which gridline its possible/probable some of the glass will still defrost

If you can find the broken gridline then repair kits used to be sold in halfords etc

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Few people I know now complaining that we should all be put on furlough again. THey have no concern about Covid as many of their actions would tell you but they do want a paid month off over Xmas. When I brought it up, however, this furlough shoud not be coupled with a lockdown as then they could not celebrate Xmas.

Sadly, amongst some people I know, there remains a desire to cherry pick covid measures that suit their lifestyles.

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
As happened to me just now, and in all of Mankind's geography, history, evolution and linguistic development the pinnacle of his achievement seems to be that when getting a train he is able to communicate remotely by announcing: "I'm on the train." on his mobile when on Cross Country trains there is no Quiet Zone to escape to.

Is there a more irritating phrase?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
As happened to me just now, and in all of Mankind's geography, history, evolution and linguistic development the pinnacle of his achievement seems to be that when getting a train he is able to communicate remotely by announcing: "I'm on the train." on his mobile when on Cross Country trains there is no Quiet Zone to escape to.

Is there a more irritating phrase?

Yes, on the golf course, when your second hit is a good'un

"Why didn't I do that the first time?" ???

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wasn't there for footy on Sunday, but as I understand it we had an over-zealous ref who was being assessed. He told some of our players they couldn't wear baselayers that didn't match the main colour of the shirt - a ridiculous rule that should apply to professional football only where they get given everything they wear, it's unreasonable to expect Sunday League players to buy baselayers that match their team's kit for goodness sake. Then he was handing out cards like confetti apparently. An 18-year-old who's a new player for us and seems like a nice lad, picked up two yellows for the softest fouls you'll ever see I'm told. It's only the second red card we've ever had, the first was many years ago for someone who threw a punch, and that guy never played for us again. Now this young lad has a £35 fine waiting for him. The ref obviously didn't care about that or give it any consideration. It's enough to drive young people out of the game. The ref even had the option of not logging the cards on the system, but no, he has put it through so the fine stands. For a young lad to have to pay another 35 quid for a couple of innocuous fouls is outrageous in my opinion.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wasn't there for footy on Sunday, but as I understand it we had an over-zealous ref who was being assessed. He told some of our players they couldn't wear baselayers that didn't match the main colour of the shirt - a ridiculous rule that should apply to professional football only where they get given everything they wear, it's unreasonable to expect Sunday League players to buy baselayers that match their team's kit for goodness sake. Then he was handing out cards like confetti apparently. An 18-year-old who's a new player for us and seems like a nice lad, picked up two yellows for the softest fouls you'll ever see I'm told. It's only the second red card we've ever had, the first was many years ago for someone who threw a punch, and that guy never played for us again. Now this young lad has a £35 fine waiting for him. The ref obviously didn't care about that or give it any consideration. It's enough to drive young people out of the game. The ref even had the option of not logging the cards on the system, but no, he has put it through so the fine stands. For a young lad to have to pay another 35 quid for a couple of innocuous fouls is outrageous in my opinion.

His team should chip in for the fine.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah we are talking about whether we can do that at the moment. It's the lack of consideration from the ref that annoys me. They seem to think they're reffing in the Premier League. We've had such an increase in ridiculous yellow cards this season that I'm starting to believe the league have told them to generate more fines.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We use to charge £5 in match fees even back in the mid 80's. The idea was it would pay any fines, any unexpected costs in the season and if we didn't use the cash we used 50% of the money raised from the start of the season until the last game before Christmas to pay for the Christmas night out, and we then used the money left at the end of season to pay for presentation nights. We only had a handful of sending offs in the ten years I was involved

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We use to charge £5 in match fees even back in the mid 80's. The idea was it would pay any fines, any unexpected costs in the season and if we didn't use the cash we used 50% of the money raised from the start of the season until the last game before Christmas to pay for the Christmas night out, and we then used the money left at the end of season to pay for presentation nights. We only had a handful of sending offs in the ten years I was involved
We charge £5 subs to play also, that pays for the pitch and referee fees though. Plus a signing on fee for each player at the start of the season, varies between £30 and £50 depending on whether we need new kits, new footballs, etc. We also give back any surplus in Christmas or end of season drinks, but typically there isn't much surplus. But fines are additionally as previously we've been able to say it's your fault if you get booked, basically. This is the first season where that's seemingly changed and people are getting booked for no reason.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wasn't there for footy on Sunday, but as I understand it we had an over-zealous ref who was being assessed. He told some of our players they couldn't wear baselayers that didn't match the main colour of the shirt - a ridiculous rule that should apply to professional football only where they get given everything they wear, it's unreasonable to expect Sunday League players to buy baselayers that match their team's kit for goodness sake.

We had a ref like that a couple of weeks ago at my younger son's under 11 match. It was freezing cold and raining and one of the opposition players had black base layers on but his shirt was red. The ref told him he would have to take it off even though he had a long sleeved football shirt on and you could only see the cuffs poking out at his wrists. Both managers got involved and told the ref that if he insisted on applying that rule then he was no longer needed and could go home.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had a ref like that a couple of weeks ago at my younger son's under 11 match. It was freezing cold and raining and one of the opposition players had black base layers on but his shirt was red. The ref told him he would have to take it off even though he had a long sleeved football shirt on and you could only see the cuffs poking out at his wrists. Both managers got involved and told the ref that if he insisted on applying that rule then he was no longer needed and could go home.
It's happened to us before, and I've complained about it to our referee secretary. He said if they're being assessed it's still something they may pick us up on, but the rest of the time they shouldn't. I still don't think that's good enough. A black baselayer doesn't clash with anything because teams are asked not wear black kits anyway (due to clash with ref). Our shorts and socks are black also anyway. There needs to be recognition that some rules are only for the professional game and not grassroots. Our home kit has yellow sleeves, our away kit is burgundy, you can't expect each player to go and purchase yellow and burgundy baselayers for the winter, nor can you expect the club to provide them all with no funding. It's moronic.

I'm getting on my soapbox now, but this is another annoyance I have with them changing the offside and handball laws to suit VAR - at grassroots you don't have bloody VAR but we still have the absolute mess that is the new rules! I've seen refs trying to let play go on after a blatant offside and then bringing it back because that's what they do on telly now. Bloody stupid.