Random Irritations

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe I need to completely reword my annoyance at the fly over

It feels like we the people are being asked a lot of personal effort , switching to electric cars (a cost plus a change of thinking) move to electric boilers or heat pump .. a cost again and a diff way of thinking about things

But it feels like we are just throwing a deckchair off the Titanic compared to what others don't do or when you see the waste of companies, in this case the fly over of the us air force .

Now I never mentioned spitfires I get both sides of that argument and we should never forget the past but same time the future needs protecting aswell

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe I need to completely reword my annoyance at the fly over

It feels like we the people are being asked a lot of personal effort , switching to electric cars (a cost plus a change of thinking) move to electric boilers or heat pump .. a cost again and a diff way of thinking about things

But it feels like we are just throwing a deckchair off the Titanic compared to what others don't do or when you see the waste of companies, in this case the fly over of the us air force .

Now I never mentioned spitfires I get both sides of that argument and we should never forget the past but same time the future needs protecting aswell

As stated Fly overs will be included as part of pilots mandatory required flying hours to keep the pilots that fly the planes that provide the protect to the country. The flyover won’t be any extra flying on top of the hours the pilots fly - if they aren’t doing a flyover they will be flying somewhere else

When the power stations stop pumping out pollution to help provide the electricity for those electric cars then fingers can be pointed at a fly past.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Spot on - when speaking to some veterans and survivors of WW2 the noise of that engine as it goes over fills them full of joy for the freedom in the Sky they provided and also sadness remembering the lives that were lost flying them defending the sky against the Luftwaffe

It's funny that we get Spitfires fly over our house on almost a daily occurrence and often on the way back they either do a barrel roll or a loop de loop, over our village. We almost always go into the garden to see them despite how regularly they fly.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On average, every view of a webpage emits 1.7g of CO2. This thread has been viewed 1,205,717 times and emitted a minimum of 2049KG CO2 just from people posting utter crap. Further than this it is predicted that the CO2 emissions of The Internet will exceed the entire worldwide airline industry by 2025.

So yeah, let’s stop flying one aeroplane occasionally, that’ll save the planet for sure.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When the power stations stop pumping out pollution to help provide the electricity for those electric cars then fingers can be pointed at a fly past.

Yesterday, the average demand on the national grid was 22.3 GW

The breakdown is as follows
Fossil fuels 26.2%
Nuclear/biomass 27.7%
Renewable energy 33.9%

For those interested, I just found this live update website....
https://grid.iamkate.com/ :)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
On average, every view of a webpage emits 1.7g of CO2. This thread has been viewed 1,205,717 times and emitted a minimum of 2049KG CO2 just from people posting utter crap. Further than this it is predicted that the CO2 emissions of The Internet will exceed the entire worldwide airline industry by 2025.

So yeah, let’s stop flying one aeroplane occasionally, that’ll save the planet for sure.
I love a good straw man argument.

Let’s stop x-raying people - X-rays can cause cancer.

Let’s stop producing paper - paper can cause paper cuts.

Let’s stop going outside - 99.9% of car accidents occur outside.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yesterday, the average demand on the national grid was 22.3 GW

The breakdown is as follows
Fossil fuels 26.2%
Nuclear/biomass 27.7%
Renewable energy 33.9%

For those interested, I just found this live update website....
https://grid.iamkate.com/ :)
Saw on the net this weekend that one of the biggest producers of CO2 in Britain is Drax power station- which produces ‘renewable’ energy. Because it burns wood pellets, it is classed as renewable but the process releases all the CO2 that the wood has trapped during the growing period. How can this be classed as green?!?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Drove into Heathrow to drop off a friend. All I was going to do was drop off and leg it. Big sign says £5 for drop offs from 1st Nov.

Flipping thieves..

Manchester Airport had it for ages: The charge for this is £5 for five minutes and £6 for 10 minutes and is payable at the exit barrier. An overstay charge of £25.00 will apply after 10 minutes.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Manchester Airport had it for ages: The charge for this is £5 for five minutes and £6 for 10 minutes and is payable at the exit barrier. An overstay charge of £25.00 will apply after 10 minutes.

Madness.. I had heard that Gatwick had it.. trying to recoup its losses.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saw on the net this weekend that one of the biggest producers of CO2 in Britain is Drax power station- which produces ‘renewable’ energy. Because it burns wood pellets, it is classed as renewable but the process releases all the CO2 that the wood has trapped during the growing period. How can this be classed as green?!?

Have you looked up how much pollutants a cruise ships belts out, I couldn't believe it ?
Iirc it's equivalent to about 5 million cars.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I think there's a difference between renewable and green.
While trees are renewable as they can plant more trees, you still have to burn them therefor producing CO2 so not green.
It is classed as renewable by some because trees can be replanted.
The grid is made from fossil fuels, renewable and ''others''
Burning pellets would come into the ''others'' group under biomass so not strictly green.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think there's a difference between renewable and green.
While trees are renewable as they can plant more trees, you still have to burn them therefor producing CO2 so not green.
It is classed as renewable by some because trees can be replanted.
The grid is made from fossil fuels, renewable and ''others''
Burning pellets would come into the ''others'' group under biomass so not strictly green.

Isn't it that it is CO2 neutral? The amount of CO2 released when the wood is burnt is the same as the amount of CO2 absorbed by the tree while it was growing. Therefore it is nett zero in terms of CO2 emissions.