Random Irritations

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
TV Shows like "Wanted Down Under" when parents ask the opinions of an 8 year old kid. They can barely decide what to wear never mind what continent to live in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you weigh pretty much everything? Can make a hell of a difference rather than eyeballing it.
Not really but I only estimate on things like veg where the difference in actual calories must be negligible. Things like chicken I'll just enter it as one chicken breast or whatever it is. I think the bigger problem in that app is the calories it takes off for activities to be honest. Enter 21 minutes running, and it says 355 calories burned off - I'm not sure if that's accurate.

U

User62651

Not really but I only estimate on things like veg where the difference in actual calories must be negligible. Things like chicken I'll just enter it as one chicken breast or whatever it is. I think the bigger problem in that app is the calories it takes off for activities to be honest. Enter 21 minutes running, and it says 355 calories burned off - I'm not sure if that's accurate.

Does seem high, quick google - Livestrong says 20 minute run equates to 100-150 calories used, your app seems to be defeating the purpose, by making weight loss seem easier than it actually is and therefore you're getting de-motivated by lack of results. Change app.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
my accounts team not paying a £500K premium to insurers when i asked them too back in November and those insurers have just issued a notice of cancellation due to non payment

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If WFH are you moving less than it would work out as 'normal'

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Ah ha. I use it only to log my intake as a flat nett number and didn't make any allowances for exercise as it tends to always over estimate that.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not allowing for that anyway, I haven't bothered connecting a step-counter to it. Only the exercises I enter manually.

But would it not assume the average calories burned by a male / female as 1500/2000 depending ofc but If your moving less (apart from a run) it's figures are going to be off

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But would it not assume the average calories burned by a male / female as 1500/2000 depending ofc but If your moving less (apart from a run) it's figures are going to be off
I don't know what it does. My target for each day is around 1750 anyway. And I've just checked my profile setting and I have set the activity level as 'not very active (spend most of day sitting)' which is the lowest setting. (y)

Ah ha. I use it only to log my intake as a flat nett number and didn't make any allowances for exercise as it tends to always over estimate that.
I might take this approach now and just ignore the activities.

D

Deleted member 16999

I use the App and enter the food quite accurately, but use my Garmin Watch to add the exercise and in all honesty for my age/weight/etc the My Fitness Pal App is not that much out, for example a 70 min walk the App gave an extra 15 calories and for a 4 mile run at 9 min pace it gave 43 calories extra.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the App and enter the food quite accurately, but use my Garmin Watch to add the exercise and in all honesty for my age/weight/etc the My Fitness Pal App is not that much out, for example a 70 min walk the App gave an extra 15 calories and for a 4 mile run at 9 min pace it gave 43 calories extra.
I dunno, I've never trusted it. It reckons a round of golf (220 mins say) with your clubs on a cart burns 1300 calories! That just seems an incredible amount to me. I think they overestimate most things.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
My fitness pal is soooo clunky and rubbish IMHO. Nutra Check is 100 x better. but you get what you pay for, its a couple of quid a month. Well worth the money, ask Fish, I converted him to it. (also integrates well with apple health, garmin etc)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the scum that stole stuff of some graves in Tomnahurich Cemetery and chucked it on the frozen Canal. several grave Ornaments, flower holderts etc..

why would anyone do that??

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
My fitness pal is soooo clunky and rubbish IMHO. Nutra Check is 100 x better. but you get what you pay for, its a couple of quid a month. Well worth the money, ask Fish, I converted him to it. (also integrates well with apple health, garmin etc)

I found MFP went to pot when Under Armour bought it. I've moved away from logging calories recently as find I eat a bit more intuitively (and less obsessive) without logging. I have a rough idea in my head but, so far, have found I'm in a better place and probably eat a bit less without the control of logging everything :unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found MFP went to pot when Under Armour bought it. I've moved away from logging calories recently as find I eat a bit more intuitively (and less obsessive) without logging. I have a rough idea in my head but, so far, have found I'm in a better place and probably eat a bit less without the control of logging everything :unsure:
They've sold it again now. But the app has not changed at all as a result of that.

I tried that on a free trial once before. I didn't think it was enough better than MFP that I wanted to spend money on it though, haha.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

Nutra check can help you log macros, IF, low sugar/carb/fat etc, also now has an iOS widget that puts your daily totals on your home page of iPhone, pretty cool!! (PS. i don't work for them, just think its very very good!!)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried that on a free trial once before. I didn't think it was enough better than MFP that I wanted to spend money on it though, haha.

I'm SHOCKED!! LOL

I found it about 20 x easier to accurately log a home-cooked meal, bar code scanning is excellent for UK foods, takes all the guess work out. Then you can share a meal, so if you wife has the app too and you cook the same meal from scratch etc..

Anyhoo, one mans love is anothers hate!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nutra check can help you log macros, IF, low sugar/carb/fat etc, also now has an iOS widget that puts your daily totals on your home page of iPhone, pretty cool!! (PS. i don't work for them, just think its very very good!!)

Interesting as logging macros is, I think, a bit healthier as it's about getting the right balance for your lifestyle/exercise rather than focussing on the amount of calories - unless of course you're bulking.

D

Deleted member 16999

I dunno, I've never trusted it. It reckons a round of golf (220 mins say) with your clubs on a cart burns 1300 calories! That just seems an incredible amount to me. I think they overestimate most things.
As I said I don’t use it at all for the calories used bit at all, but have looked at it to compare, it must be on weight/age etc as 220 mins on my App shows 1001 calories, have you checked your user profile?

In the picture:
Top is as above
Middle is an actual round from my Garmin.
Bottom is my round using MFP

73 calories different.?‍♂️

I don’t honestly think you’ll be far off if you just use it as a guide.

The important bit is watching your intake and getting exercise.

Have the chest pains subsided? Keep an eye on that!
7A4B6536-F0BF-4B7C-998C-4E61929AF53F.jpeg