Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
...The area around SH is regularly gridlocked at peak times , the options are to go around it, or under it, it will have been costed and decided that the tunnel is the better option in terms of cost and environmentals

A new bypass would cost loads in terms of the purchase of land, and it’s a much bigger job.
The tunnel is a more compact option, the spoil can be used elsewhere.

And it will also provide construction jobs

At the end of the day, it’s just another infrastructure project

They could just move the stones somewhere else!
(see its that out of the box, blue sky thinking that's lacking in todays world where you are all trying to fix problems instead of just getting rid of the thing causing the problem) (y)

p.s any analogy readers draw into getting shot of certain 'problem' forum members is not my fault! :LOL:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
(see its that out of the box, blue sky thinking that's lacking in todays world where you are all trying to fix problems instead of just getting rid of the thing causing the problem) (y)

p.s any analogy readers draw into getting shot of certain 'problem' forum members is not my fault! :LOL:
Use them as hardcore for the new road/tunnel ;)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Or, just put the roof back on the stones, and then you have your tunnel anyway. Two birds with one stone & all that ..

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As someone moving down to Devon, I do the A303 regularly and will do in the future coming back up to visit family. The tunnel would be a godsend to stop all the morons who slow right down or even block the road whilst they take pictures. The tunnel would mean better facilities for Stonehenge making it easier to visit. And yet the tree-huggers and new Earthers of course want to stop any kind of progress. Remember all the complaints about building the Hindhead tunnel? It has made life easier for everyone especially the locals. I still remember a late 70s version of the tree-huggers trying to stop the M25 being built around Leatherhead. Can you imagine the roads without it?

Just build the damn thing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The current TV advert for The Voice.
'Tune in this Sa'urday for the final of The Voice Twenny Twenny'.
Don't they teach people to speak properly any more?
I've just seen this promo ?. What makes it worse, if possible, is that it sounds forced and false. It's a deliberate, and feeble, attempt to appeal to yoof. Emma Willis is 44, not 16 ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
“It is important, you can save your season. Stop reacting we need to act. Its about desire, nothing else”: Thierry Henry MLS Manager…. “Oh and if that doesn’t work just cheat your way to a goal” : Thierry Henry Flawed Player

Idiot!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Its OK, I see you've not understood what was being said.
It’s very clear that Iain is referencing the old school days thing when a teacher would try to get you to say “May I...?” instead of “Can I...?”, implying that using “Can I...?” is a question of the ability to do something rather than the allowance to do something.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As someone moving down to Devon, I do the A303 regularly and will do in the future coming back up to visit family. The tunnel would be a godsend to stop all the morons who slow right down or even block the road whilst they take pictures. The tunnel would mean better facilities for Stonehenge making it easier to visit. And yet the tree-huggers and new Earthers of course want to stop any kind of progress. Remember all the complaints about building the Hindhead tunnel? It has made life easier for everyone especially the locals. I still remember a late 70s version of the tree-huggers trying to stop the M25 being built around Leatherhead. Can you imagine the roads without it?

Just build the damn thing.

Oh yes. And putting aside the bottleneck that was the A3 at The Devil's Punchbowl, the drive from Farnham to Haslemere via Hindhead is these days usually hassle free.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oh yes. And putting aside the bottleneck that was the A3 at The Devil's Punchbowl, the drive from Farnham to Haslemere via Hindhead is these days usually hassle free.
And Hindhead itself is much prettier now - remember pre-tunnel, all of the old buildings down to the mini-roundabout were always covered in the usual filth that you get from a busy road. With the tunnel, the buildings are much cleaner and the better for it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And Hindhead itself is much prettier now - remember pre-tunnel, all of the old buildings down to the mini-roundabout were always covered in the usual filth that you get from a busy road. With the tunnel, the buildings are much cleaner and the better for it.
Indeed - a rather pleasant stop-off at the NT cafe and viewpoint with pleasant walks taking in - in part - the covered old A3,

Visit site

...back to Wales

RETURN THE STONES

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Absolutely, very pleasant now - I also get a slight bit of childish excitement approaching & driving through the tunnel. I should probably grow up a bit :D
I know exactly how you feel. We don't go through it very often - but every time we do...bit like the funny little thrill I still get on the rare occasion when I go through the Clyde Tunnel - takes me back to when it was built and the wonder of it all...:)