Random Irritations

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whacked into a massive pot hole in the dark last night. Need to check my tyre for damage next time I am about in daylight. Real bang when I hit it. I was only on the A3090 because they had shut the M27 / M3, so I was on a detour. That tyre is pretty much brand new too.

Ask on your local Facebook page if anyone has already reported that particular pothole and the date it was reported.
Seemingly [ in Scotland ] if they're not repaired within a certain time frame you can claim the local council for any damage caused, I think you need photo evidence .

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ask on your local Facebook page if anyone has already reported that particular pothole and the date it was reported.
Seemingly [ in Scotland ] if they're not repaired within a certain time frame you can claim the local council for any damage caused, I think you need photo evidence .

Trouble is, I was about 80 miles from home, on a detour in the middle of nowhere, in the pitch dark, doing about 50mph. No way of knowing where the heck it was, except it was somewhere outside Romsey on the A3090. No chance of claiming on that little knowledge. Just put it down to experience.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Possibly thats what has occurred but should be resolved now spent the whole morning providing all the evidence of where the car was on that date along with where we were. So wait and see?

Seems that the UK now uses the guilty until you prove your innocence for law (same as here)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
One assumes "tyres" are the same as tires---the noun, not the verb (not to be tiring).
I guess those things are expensive everywhere.

I think we have Michelins on the Grand Cherokee but I'm not certain.
I let the Gestapo (my wife) take care of auto maintenance, because she being Irish and I being Italian, I obviously have to do the cooking.
You’re American. Not Irish. Italian. African. You’re American.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trouble is, I was about 80 miles from home, on a detour in the middle of nowhere, in the pitch dark, doing about 50mph. No way of knowing where the heck it was, except it was somewhere outside Romsey on the A3090. No chance of claiming on that little knowledge. Just put it down to experience.

I've claimed recently and was unable to locate the exact place. Basically, to get a photo of the offending pothole would have involved me going into the middle of a national speed limit road just after a bend. If a motorcyclist had hit it at speed, they would almost certainly be in a serious accident. When I hit it, the noise was awful and my tyre warning light came on instantly showing zero pressure. My claim was accepted on the back of google earth images highlighting the approximate spot in the road where the pot hole was. If its as bad as it sounds, it would have been repaired and they'd know about it. You need photo's of your tyre's and the damage, plus a copy of the bill.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I pass two buildings on my way to work that are nearly finished, have been for quite a while, but are just not getting finished off. One is a barn with 3 sides completed, the other is a big new vets. They are 90% done but they seem stuck at 90%. I don't know why this irritates me each time I pass but it does. Just get on with it.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking online, total around £379.50 for the pair.

Definitely ouch.

Could be worse Murph, the wife has an X4M Competition with 21"ers (275/30/21) and she had a steel bolt got through the tyre wall at her work, single tyre was £330 fitted. Luckily it's relatively new so we didn't need to faff about with wear profiles and making sure it was stable. P Zero's like yourself and heavily, heavily discounted, think we got about £60 off it.

But jesus, £330 a tyre! Seems the less rubber you have, the more it bloody costs.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Could be worse Murph, the wife has an X4M Competition with 21"ers (275/30/21) and she had a steel bolt got through the tyre wall at her work, single tyre was £330 fitted. Luckily it's relatively new so we didn't need to faff about with wear profiles and making sure it was stable. P Zero's like yourself and heavily, heavily discounted, think we got about £60 off it.

But jesus, £330 a tyre! Seems the less rubber you have, the more it bloody costs.

It still hurts though!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Helping my son sort is finances out and get a SA tax return done for Y/E 05/04/2019 - in advance of actually doing his return we work out that his top line income for the year was of the order of £15k. Now simple sum - taking off £12.5 allowance - sees a taxable income of £2.5k - and 20% of that sees him owing about £500 for that tax year. Well OK - let's see what we can do about allowances against that to maybe reduce it.

Meanwhile my Mrs speaking with a friend yesterday - friend is a sole trader in healthcare provision - earning good money (hubby has a good trade but not a mega earner) - boasting yesterday of her self assessment tax bill being only £900...wtf (sorry).

And her friend voted conservative - no doubt hoping that Johnson will get her tax bill down towards zero....

The system is completely warped...you got money - you willing to play the system and chuck in a bit of earning dishonesty - you are going to be OK. If you don't - you'll get screwed.

Meanwhile Mrs Hogie's friend drives her big German car last week to the store to spend £5k on new furniture - to be delivered before her kids get out of private school prior to going to the Caribbean on summer holidays. I kid you not. My son asks how can they afford that. Well just paying £900 in income tax helps...when he is paying £500.

Acceptance and forgiveness are sometimes tough. My wife is disgusted with her friend. Anyway - she is going to ask her friend how my son can reduce his tax bill ?

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Helping my son sort is finances out and get a SA tax return done for Y/E 05/04/2019 - in advance of actually doing his return we work out that his top line income for the year was of the order of £15k. Now simple sum - taking off £12.5 allowance - sees a taxable income of £2.5k - and 20% of that sees him owing about £500 for that tax year. Well OK - let's see what we can do about allowances against that to maybe reduce it.

Meanwhile my Mrs speaking with a friend yesterday - friend is a sole trader in healthcare provision - earning good money (hubby has a good trade but not a mega earner) - boasting yesterday of her self assessment tax bill being only £900...wtf (sorry).

And her friend voted conservative - no doubt hoping that Johnson will get her tax bill down towards zero....

The system is completely warped...you got money - you willing to play the system and chuck in a bit of earning dishonesty - you are going to be OK. If you don't - you'll get screwed.

Meanwhile Mrs Hogie's friend drives her big German car last week to the store to spend £5k on new furniture - to be delivered before her kids get out of private school prior to going to the Caribbean on summer holidays. I kid you not. My son asks how can they afford that. Well just paying £900 in income tax helps...

Acceptance and forgiveness are sometimes tough. My wife is disgusted with her friend. Anyway - she is going to ask her friend how my son can reduce his tax bill ?

Tax allowance in the 2018/2019 tax year was £11850, not £12500. It's £12500 for this tax year to April 5th.

My self assessment tax bill was £1300 and I earn a reasonable amount as a contractor. But it's easy to say the system is warped when you don't see the £21,000 Corp tax bill and the £24500 VAT bill on top of that. Plus paying my own pension, sick pay, holiday pay and IT and everyday costs the system is about to become more warped IMO with the off-payroll regs about to bite hard. Absolute shambles and the governments lack of simple economics at the heart of the shambles as always.

At that income level, aside from allowable expenses if any are applicable, will have few further allowances I would think.