Random Irritations

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nearly started a new thread on this but thought I'd leave it in here:-

Home bargins have out

1. Halloween stuff - A whole isle
2. Christmas stuff - A whole isle

As for the christmas stuff, is this a record?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Legoland

For one is pretty rubbish and for two it needs rebranding

Loosely based on Lego

It's a fair ground with a Lego figure at the front

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
More of a sad sigh moment than an irritation.

I was just in that nodding off, half asleep half awake moment, probably more asleep than anything. A half dream, half conscious thought that I need to set the alarm for a game of snooker with my dad. It was a warm, fuzzy thought, and really looking forward to the game and having some banter/chat.

He died 19 years ago this month. What a weird thing the brain can be…*sigh*

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Six Americans suing Burger King for $6 million each because the burgers they bought were 35% smaller than the pictures in the adverts. And the judges have ok'd the action! No doubt this sort of thing will make it over here in a few years

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Six Americans suing Burger King for $6 million each because the burgers they bought were 35% smaller than the pictures in the adverts. And the judges have ok'd the action! No doubt this sort of thing will make it over here in a few years
This has been going on for a while with McDonald’s and Wendy’s. I don’t think a class action suit to stop their clearly misleading advertising is a bad thing, it should really have happened sooner.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
How often does what you buy from a fast food outlet actually look like the advert. While suing for 6 mil is OTT, McDonald's and the like should do better .

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
This has been going on for a while with McDonald’s and Wendy’s. I don’t think a class action suit to stop their clearly misleading advertising is a bad thing, it should really have happened sooner.
Agreed. I’ve never seen an advert or signage at a McD’s with a lop-sided Big Mac that can only be described as “still under construction”!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
All this talk of pictures on menus takes me back to my dad's first dealing with a Chinese takeaway. 1993 and still the funniest thing my dad has ever done to this day, albeit completely unintended.

For background, my dad didn't exactly grow up in a "culturally aware" environment. My gran thought Cumberland sausage was "foreign muck" because it was "a bit spicy".

Then living for many years in a small village that didn't get a Chinese until 1993. Our first encounter was brilliant.

My dad, still slightly wary of Chinese food (because of all the ill-informed rumours about food poisoning etc) studied the menu, it was the type with the big image of the Chinese man with a wok smiling out at you with images of food dotted around it, and the pictures and decided on sweet and sour chicken, because he "liked the look of it". So he places the orders and we wait. The guy brings out the food in the little foil containers and this is where the fun began.

My dad: What's this?, pointing at the containers.
Counter Guy: It's your food.
Dad: Where's the plates?
CG: You don't get plates, it's takeaway.
Dad: But the pictures show the food on plates.
CG: That's just pictures for show.
Dad: This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the Chef.

So the guy goes away and ushers through a wee Chinese woman.

My Dad: Who's this?
CG: My mum, she's the chef.
Dad: So who is this guy? (pointing to the guy on the picture)
CG: (starting to lose it a bit now) ITS JUST A PICTURE ON A MENU!

My dad was red, mixture of rage and embarrassment by this point. I know that I should have stepped in sooner but I was 15 and this was too good an opportunity for hilarity to let it pass so quickly...

Dad snatches the food off the counter, mumbles "thank you very much" and makes for the door, me behind apologising on the way out.

Even now, 30 years later, whenever my dad says he's ordered Chinese, guaranteed either my sister or I will chime in with "did you get a plate this time"... Never misses the spot :D

The guy that was serving, his name was Paul and he turned out to be good friends with al of us reprobates that hung about the streets of Crossgates and hogged the Galaga arcade machine that was in the corner of the Loon Wah Chinese takeaway. We laughed about it for years after, any time I went in he's quip "your dad isn't with you, is he?" :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Photos on menu‘s is essential to stop serious embarrassment. I was handed a menu by a Chinese lady whilst lying on a sun bed in Sicily several years ago. I turned to Mrs H and asked her if she was hungry - cue major laughter from Mrs H. It was a menu for different massage options, some of which were, er, interesting.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Woke up today feeling horrendous - throat like sandpaper. Don't know if I came down with something playing in the rain at Farnham, or whether someone at H4H was passing Covid around! 😞

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Woke up today feeling horrendous - throat like sandpaper. Don't know if I came down with something playing in the rain at Farnham, or whether someone at H4H was passing Covid around! 😞

New variant out. Lots in the hospital. Seems the virus has worked out how to deal with warmer weather. Vaccines being rolled out early.

So yep it could be!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
New variant out. Lots in the hospital. Seems the virus has worked out how to deal with warmer weather. Vaccines being rolled out early.

So yep it could be!
Hope not.. to be fair it would be a very quick turnaround to have caught it yesterday and be feeling this ropey the next morning.