Random Irritations

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you'd both be super annoyed by this then.... ;)

Probably the 3rd or 4th time I've mentioned this but the phrases " there's nothing worse/better than...." need discarding to Room 101 ASAP.
My imagination can knows few boundaries....
I follow this with "er I think I can ...."

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I rarely have one these days. But bizarrely, when I do, it is almost always preceded by me standing over the ball thinking I’m going to hit one. And that may be even if I haven’t had one for weeks.

Go figure.

🙄

Ditto - or at least when I played golf (hiatus right now and not missing it)!

I took that feeling to be something is wrong at address and, for me, it is about everything being a bit closed so I pre-set my right hip out of the way and make plenty of room.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ditto - or at least when I played golf (hiatus right now and not missing it)!

I took that feeling to be something is wrong at address and, for me, it is about everything being a bit closed so I pre-set my right hip out of the way and make plenty of room.

It really just destroys you mentally.

Could not snap out of it last night, had a few one offs recently but last night I hit one shot straight and everything else was a shank.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It really just destroys you mentally.

Could not snap out of it last night, had a few one offs recently but last night I hit one shot straight and everything else was a shank.

My husband has suffered from them on and off for years and it sucks. Have you tried the simple thing of putting something far side of the ball - avoid hitting that?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My husband has suffered from them on and off for years and it sucks. Have you tried the simple thing of putting something far side of the ball - avoid hitting that?

Not yet, it all happened on course last night in the match play so not had time to go and fix anything myself.

Actually booked in for a lesson tomorrow evening to address it, I don't think I can fix it myself and £20 for half an hour will be very well spent if its sorted.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm starting to realise that younger people don't always know how to pronounce my name (spelt Stephen, pronounced like Steven). I've been called Stefan, Step Hen, Stefen. It's because nobody really calls their children Stephen these days so they don't encounter as they grow up. I don't mind that much, sometimes its quite fun watching them trying to work it out. :D

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm starting to realise that younger people don't always know how to pronounce my name (spelt Stephen, pronounced like Steven). I've been called Stefan, Step Hen, Stefen. It's because nobody really calls their children Stephen these days so they don't encounter as they grow up. I don't mind that much, sometimes its quite fun watching them trying to work it out. :D
I think its probably more that older names are being re-pronounced to make them something they are not. I would speak it exactly as its spelt and pronounced with a V.....but then I suppose i'm not a kid anymore/Millennial/GenZ

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

A mate spells it the same way, and ordered a Starbucks. It's Stephen with a PH! (As it bugs him)

Phteven.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A mate spells it the same way, and ordered a Starbucks. It's Stephen with a PH! (As it bugs him)

Phteven.
If he wanted to go more extreme he could say,

"Stephen, spelt the same way as the only King Stephen England has ever had!!!"

That wouldn't help them spell it correctly, but it would give him a feeling of superiority.

Last edited:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Phteven.
I’m a Stephen and always say “with a PH “ when giving my name out to people. Something that I have done forever. I sometimes wonder if people that ask think my name is actually Stephenwithaph.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surname has 4 letters ,with 2 the same . Always spell it out and even then they get it wrong ,about 30% get the pronunciation right 😉😅.
Forename abrviated to Ben but Benjamin can be heard after hitting errant shots 😄

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m a Stephen and always say “with a PH “ when giving my name out to people. Something that I have done forever. I sometimes wonder if people that ask think my name is actually Stephenwithaph.
When I was a kid I think the 'ph' version was actually more common. One of my mates was named Steven but I figured it was because his family was Irish, all the others in my school were Stephens.

Basketball player (who also dabbles in golf) Steph Curry's name is actually Stephen. Obviously didn't fancy being a 'Steve'.

RichA

Visit site
Shades of grammar policing, that I'm not proud of, but emails from people that begin, "Please except my apologies..." which almost means the opposite of what they're actually trying to say.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Where I come from (Widnes), I'm actually called Ste (or Robbo, from my surname). When I moved to Scotland I started being called Stevie, other people call me Steve. When I was dealing with overses customers in one of my old jobs, I generally stuck with Stephen to try to avoid confusion and have stuck with it in my current job so most people in work call me Stephen now. TBH, there are so many variants I don't let it worry me. Some people ask me how I prefer to be referred to and I just say go for it.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Shades of grammar policing, that I'm not proud of, but emails from people that begin, "Please except my apologies..." which almost means the opposite of what they're actually trying to say.

We used to have a lady in our office who transcribed tape recorded interviews. She did not know the difference between there, their and they’re. Whenever anyone referred to the national speed limit she transcribed it as the “natural speed limit”. The list of errors was endless.

In short, she was utterly hopeless.