Random Irritations

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How the world has changed.. nowadays it is not uncommon for our India based tech team to ask me how are things in the U.K., our hardships and we are managing etc. one of them send me a story from one of India’s broadsheets today. India is the 5th largest economy while U.K.is 6th. Unfortunately we are headed to become the 7th as we continue to shrink .. :(

DE5DFC70-8BD1-4718-828E-1424E7435AC4.jpeg

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
You should be sorry. Ridiculous behaviour. If you’re worried and have no ability to maintain speed, just set your cruise control to 58. Much better than slamming brakes on and potentially causing an accident.
Great idea. Now where exactly is my "cruise control" on my 2009 Mazda? You see some solutions aren't as good as you think when you look in to them.

Newtonuti

Visit site
The mrs and her daughter using the dryer during a 35 degree heatwave to dry clothes and towels, as they can't be bothered to hang them inside. £98674949474 a month electricity bill incoming!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whirlpool/Hotpoint. The oven we bought in December is rubbish(put your own stronger word in) and there is no customer service to complain to. You can only have an engineer out to check it. If they say, on inspection, there is nothing wrong with it it is just a rubbish(replace with stronger word) oven, then they charge you £60! So we are stuck with a rubbish(you know what to do) oven.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
How the world has changed.. nowadays it is not uncommon for our India based tech team to ask me how are things in the U.K., our hardships and we are managing etc. one of them send me a story from one of India’s broadsheets today. India is the 5th largest economy while U.K.is 6th. Unfortunately we are headed to become the 7th as we continue to shrink .. :(

View attachment 43974
Is this a problem for us at the bottom of the pile? Job availability still outstrips work force. It's back to the sixtys. Walk out of one job straight into another, as the company my wife works for are finding out. They are loosing long serving staff on a daily basis.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is this a problem for us at the bottom of the pile? Job availability still outstrips work force. It's back to the sixtys. Walk out of one job straight into another, as the company my wife works for are finding out. They are loosing long serving staff on a daily basis.

it is not really a problem, provided people have work and can pay/afford/have access to the services they need. the challenge is if the economy keeps contracting and inflation keeps rising, where do they meet and make it unaffordable. We are constantly looking for people, but we also find that people are now being 'forced' to change jobs because they need a pay hike to pay for the winter. The resulting wage inflation will cause an even worse scenario. We are contemplating a 'one-off' living allowance to all our junior staff. So we can get into a spiral of inflation. But if at the same time, the economy does not grow, where do we go from here?

the only other flip side of being bottom of the pile is that generally we still perceive UK economy as a 'strong first world/G7 country', while in reality it has been on a slippery slope down for a while. So it is a bit of a ego issue and a reality check that we need to reset our view of our importance in the world.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whirlpool/Hotpoint. The oven we bought in December is rubbish(put your own stronger word in) and there is no customer service to complain to. You can only have an engineer out to check it. If they say, on inspection, there is nothing wrong with it it is just a rubbish(replace with stronger word) oven, then they charge you £60! So we are stuck with a rubbish(you know what to do) oven.
Experience tells me kicking off at those you deal with on something like this, won’t get you what you want, and likewise would also push the engineer into a corner so you are charged if there is nothing wrong with it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

View attachment 43974
At least we don’t stone women who have been raped….

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A company have contacted me for a quote. They have advised a volume of product that their end user has requested. The figure is nonsense, hugely over inflated in order to get a lower price. I know it, the company that rang me should know it and questioned the figure at the beginning. We are now going to have to go through a ridiculous dance before we reach the actual figure that is required.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
A company have contacted me for a quote. They have advised a volume of product that their end user has requested. The figure is nonsense, hugely over inflated in order to get a lower price. I know it, the company that rang me should know it and questioned the figure at the beginning. We are now going to have to go through a ridiculous dance before we reach the actual figure that is required.

Is that a, i want your 100,000 unit price, but i only want 10 units...