Random Irritations

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would be happier with that. One of mine seems to want me to participate in the thrill of the chase so brings them in live so as I can help with the kill.
Ours bring them in, play with them for a bit, then get bored when they run under appliances/behind the shoe cupboard, so I do spend quite a lot of time trying to catch the little bleeders. We've got loads of humane traps in the hallway & the kitchen as well, which do work as long as the dopey mice run into them.
We came down one morning and there was one dead mouse in the hall & a live one in a trap, that one of the cats had pulled into the middle of the floor upside down & was about a foot from the dead one - I was convinced that it was some sort of cat snuff movie.
Our old cat was greedy, so would catch them, bring them in and eat them, leaving us the stomach & a bit of leg/tail to not step in at the bottom of the stairs. At least these two don't eat them.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours bring them in, play with them for a bit, then get bored when they run under appliances/behind the shoe cupboard, so I do spend quite a lot of time trying to catch the little bleeders. We've got loads of humane traps in the hallway & the kitchen as well, which do work as long as the dopey mice run into them.
We came down one morning and there was one dead mouse in the hall & a live one in a trap, that one of the cats had pulled into the middle of the floor upside down & was about a foot from the dead one - I was convinced that it was some sort of cat snuff movie.
Our old cat was greedy, so would catch them, bring them in and eat them, leaving us the stomach & a bit of leg/tail to not step in at the bottom of the stairs. At least these two don't eat them.

One of mine used to love bringing in live bats and letting them loose in the bedroom

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of mine used to love bringing in live bats and letting them loose in the bedroom

I had a cat that tried to bring a fully grown male pheasant in through the cat flap. Massive banging at stupid o'clock in the morning and I came downstairs to find the back end of the cat reversing in through the cat flap trying to squeeze the pheasant through after it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This flammable cladding… why do the leaseholders have to pay a penny for a decision they did not make and the owners of the building who decided to ignore health safety and deploy it, are not being told to pay for rectification??

Some stuff is straight forward

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This flammable cladding… why do the leaseholders have to pay a penny for a decision they did not make and the owners of the building who decided to ignore health safety and deploy it, are not being told to pay for rectification??

To add to this, I was listening to 5 Live earlier today and people who have taken out shared ownership of a flat are having to pay the full remediation costs of fixing the problem. It may be that they only own 50% of the property and are paying rent for the other 50% but 100% of the costs to fix it are on their shoulders which doesn't seem right.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Unfortunately it isn’t as straight forward as you say. Some of the cladding that was fitted complied with the regulations at the time it was fitted so companies are arguing that they shouldn’t have to pay the whole amount to change it. Rightly or wrongly, it is still a big mess and lots are suffering because of it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately it isn’t as straight forward as you say. Some of the cladding that was fitted complied with the regulations at the time it was fitted so companies are arguing that they shouldn’t have to pay the whole amount to change it. Rightly or wrongly, it is still a big mess and lots are suffering because of it.
That’s just wrong on all levels, when are people going to realise that your only renting a flat with a one off payment and possible opportunity to get that rent back and a little bit when you pass the contract on.
The building owners should be wholly responsible for this .. I don’t understand where or why there is a discussion on this matter, just bring criminal proceedings

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That’s just wrong on all levels, when are people going to realise that your only renting a flat with a one off payment and possible opportunity to get that rent back and a little bit when you pass the contract on.
The building owners should be wholly responsible for this .. I don’t understand where or why there is a discussion on this matter, just bring criminal proceedings
As I said, some of the cladding was legal at the time it was fitted and complied to all the regulations at the time. How can you bring criminal proceedings in these cases? Those building companies that are found to have fitted non compliant cladding should definitely be prosecuted and also made to pay to replace the cladding. But, as in many things in life, it is never black and white (if I am still allowed to say that!)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I am guessing because most leases provide that the maintenance, repair and renovation costs of the building are shared between the lessees and add to that the fact that a number of buildings actually have the freehold vested in a management company owned by the individual lessees.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am guessing because most leases provide that the maintenance, repair and renovation costs of the building are shared between the lessees and add to that the fact that a number of buildings actually have the freehold vested in a management company owned by the individual lessees.
Okay, so possibly the developer/ original builder/owner is not on that list? They are the ones though that did the work on new builds. The updates become more complex, but someone would have advised on the cladding.. and it’s suitability..

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Okay, so possibly the developer/ original builder/owner is not on that list? They are the ones though that did the work on new builds. The updates become more complex, but someone would have advised on the cladding.. and it’s suitability..

As long as it was approved by the local authority for building regs at the time then they have done nothing wrong. One of the pitfalls of owning a leasehold property is that you are, in part liable for the building costs. Whilst this example is far more tragic, there are no end of construction methods that have, over the years, been debunked as poor and made properties unmortgageable over night.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a cat that tried to bring a fully grown male pheasant in through the cat flap. Massive banging at stupid o'clock in the morning and I came downstairs to find the back end of the cat reversing in through the cat flap trying to squeeze the pheasant through after it.
One of ours bought in a large pigeon but in terms of bird top trumps, that's a whole different ball game

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know why people keep cats :(

Cats are wonderful and I would not be without my 2. That said, I would also love a dog but with both of us out of the house for almost 12 hours a day, it would not really be fair on the dog and so we stick with cats who are alll rescued, are great company and totally independent.