Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Eh? That makes no sense. You were suggesting paying the office based staff more. Anyway this should be on another thread. This one has been hijacked.

Same point, some can't afford to work from home .. so would have to go to the office

Running pc would cost pence

Broadband would be interesting and heating could wear a jumper if desperate

D

Deleted member 1740

Wonder how many would accept a 10% wage drop to work from home

To save travel costs and time

I'm struggling to think of a good enough reason to implement such a drastic change to working pay/conditions.

Unless you're being paid travel time, which is rare these days, then businesses should have no right to cut wages due to employee not having to pay travel costs.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm struggling to think of a good enough reason to implement such a drastic change to working pay/conditions.

Unless you're being paid travel time, which is rare these days, then businesses should have no right to cut wages due to employee not having to pay travel costs.

Their have been studies but for example people who commute a long distance now saving 3-4 hours a day and up to 7k a year by WFH companies have been offering it full time on reduced wages

D

Deleted member 1740

Their have been studies but for example people who commute a long distance now saving 3-4 hours a day and up to 7k a year by WFH companies have been offering it full time on reduced wages

It's another example of greed by companies. Wage rates and pay scales don't factor in travel time/costs.

When travel costs have increased by 3.75% year on year, have wages increased the same?

However much employees save is none of the companies business. It should be against the law to offer this just like fire and rehire.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's another example of greed by companies. Wage rates and pay scales don't factor in travel time/costs.

When travel costs have increased by 3.75% year on year, have wages increased the same?

However much employees save is none of the companies business. It should be against the law to offer this just like fire and rehire.

It's not even in same ball park tho is it

The option to WFH permanent but smaller wage or commute normal wage

If forced on someone it's a different story.

D

Deleted member 1740

It's not even in same ball park tho is it

The option to WFH permanent but smaller wage or commute normal wage

If forced on someone it's a different story.

Of course it is. If it’s not why is it acceptable to reduce wages of someone for choosing to WFH just because it suits them for a variety of reasons. If you can do a £20k a year job WFH exactly the same as commuting for 3hr round trip into an office then why should the wage be smaller?

Once 1 person decides oh yes that suits me, my partner earns £70k a year I can afford the pay cut, then Slowly but surely it becomes company policy to WFH and those who rely on the £20k are now £2k worse off.

I’ll bet my bottom dollar the company won’t be reducing their charges for the services they provide when they’ve saved the running costs of an office.

Apologies for taking RI thread off slightly but this is more than irritating.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of course it is. If it’s not why is it acceptable to reduce wages of someone for choosing to WFH just because it suits them for a variety of reasons. If you can do a £20k a year job WFH exactly the same as commuting for 3hr round trip into an office then why should the wage be smaller?

Once 1 person decides oh yes that suits me, my partner earns £70k a year I can afford the pay cut, then Slowly but surely it becomes company policy to WFH and those who rely on the £20k are now £2k worse off.

I’ll bet my bottom dollar the company won’t be reducing their charges for the services they provide when they’ve saved the running costs of an office.

Apologies for taking RI thread off slightly but this is more than irritating.
To deduct wage is pointless and actually can you really say someone who does a commute of over 45 minutes each way is productive for the full 8 hrs in the day? By the end of the week they are hanging so Friday is 8 hrs of pure attendance and no work … Sorry but there is not a compelling argument for it and any company that thinks this is reasonable behaviour is not worth working for .

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shared drain blocked again ..

Twice in 3 days

Nothing to do with us or neighbor it seems

I won't post a picture as nobody wants to see that! But the blockage is pipe shaped of paper etc that is coming out a pipe from the street and getting stuck there . I guess it's lucky that it stops there and doesn't go to the back drain where it would just block more

4 pipes of ours go into this cover .. up and downstairs .. upstairs is unaffected by the blockage each time

Best tell next door to not flush their downstairs loo until 9 when I can go fix it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The impending Adelle pr onslaught that will be with us for the next 2 years ?
Genius though isn't it, how they are doing it? Give a little and let social media do the rest. Irritating but effective.

Let's hope she is a bit cheerier on this album. It doesn't matter whether you buy it or not it will be played constantly on radio so you can't avoid it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On the WFH discussion. My understanding is that there are significant employment law requirements on companies if an employee is contractually a ‘Home Worker’ rather than just a worker that is able, and often encouraged, to WFH.

I, and many of my colleagues of the time, were ‘encouraged’ to WFH, and subsequently the company has been able to justify shutting their offices at what was my ‘base’ location. All the company was required to do was to make ‘Work Station‘ and ’Work place environment‘ training and self-assessment mandatory for me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Randomness of people's tee booking habits (like parking next to a car in a empty car park)

3 groups out between 9-11

Us at 10:02 (booked it 2 weeks ago) now we have 09:54 and 10:10

Nothing before or after all free ..

So random

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
turn the radio off?
We have it on all day in the factory at work. Changing channel because of an annoying song is a pain to do so you tend to just accept it, gripe about it and get on. Very British. As I say, hopefully she will be a bit happier this time. She has a child, lost a load of weight (okay divorced but maybe that will be better for her), so more upbeat than angst. We can only hope :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have it on all day in the factory at work. Changing channel because of an annoying song is a pain to do so you tend to just accept it, gripe about it and get on. Very British. As I say, hopefully she will be a bit happier this time. She has a child, lost a load of weight (okay divorced but maybe that will be better for her), so more upbeat than angst. We can only hope :)

another benefit of working for myself added to the list.......

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Randomness of people's tee booking habits (like parking next to a car in a empty car park)

3 groups out between 9-11

Us at 10:02 (booked it 2 weeks ago) now we have 09:54 and 10:10

Nothing before or after all free ..

So random
It's not that weird - they obviously wanted 10 o'clock but you got there first?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think it works like that. Some people can only be inspired by pain and suffering, ha.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I had to insist on changing the station because they kept hammering Ed Sheran