Random Irritations

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree, we mustn’t forget the work lessons of last 18 months…. It’s lazy management and weak leadership. Some stuff is preferable face to face, but it isnt essential. (One size doesn’t fit all, so some thought and flexibility is needed)

and the irony of the spelling error is excellent!
Thank you ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, we mustn’t forget the work lessons of last 18 months…. It’s lazy management and weak leadership. Some stuff is preferable face to face, but it isnt essential. (One size doesn’t fit all, so some thought and flexibility is needed)

and the irony of the spelling error is excellent!
Honest questions, do employees working from home get paid the exact same wage/rate as when they worked from their employers premises .
With no travel time or expenses ?
Do they get paid extra expenses for working from home ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Certainly have where I was working… I’ve never had a job that allowed travel time, so can’t comment. We were not paying expenses for working from home as folk were quids in by not commuting! In March 2020 we allowed folk to take chairs and monitors home too…everyone had a laptop already.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Certainly have where I was working… I’ve never had a job that allowed travel time, so can’t comment. We were not paying expenses for working from home as folk were quids in by not commuting! In March 2020 we allowed folk to take chairs and monitors home too…everyone had a laptop already.
Same here, they have also got travel time back, less vehicle wear and tear, more family time . But no expenses are paid ..you don’t get paid to go to work either unless you can negotiate it in etc

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same here, they have also got travel time back, less vehicle wear and tear, more family time . But no expenses are paid ..you don’t get paid to go to work either unless you can negotiate it in etc

Wonder how many would accept a 10% wage drop to work from home

To save travel costs and time

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quids in ? so should they be paid less :whistle::D
Oops ,just seen Paul's post

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Mind you there is the £6/week tax relief that can be claimed if you have to work from home.

Though I worked from home I could have travelled to my (Winnersh) base location, but that 45min drive was not part of my day and it was not expensed. I never bothered as none of my team worked there. If I had to travel to another location I could claim expenses for the travel. Theoretically I could only claim difference in travel cost with the cost to my base…but nobody really bothered that much doing that difference and we were OKd the full amount.

My contract was a mobile contract - I worked wherever my company needed me to work and wherever I worked I didn’t get paid more or less. Just got expenses paid and for much time working away from home I got an unrecepted per diem £25 in addition to expensed and receipted accommodation and travel. That £25 was handy as any day I could choose to spend it all or none of it.

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Wonder how many would accept a 10% wage drop to work from home

To save travel costs and time

I would have done in some circumstances…as a freelancer, not commuting and staying in hotels saved me a lot.

But remember, how much could large organisations save when leases are due for renewal? Millions! One of my former employers has vacated three large buildings in last year for this very reason.

No need to cut salaries. Companies can save costs and have a more productive and happy workforce! Win/win

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would have done in some circumstances…

But remember, how much could large organisations save when leases are due for renewal? Millions! One of my former employers has vacated three large buildings in last year for this very reason.

No need to cut salaries. Companies can save costs and have a more productive and happy workforce!
And cut pollution, rush hour traffic, crowded transport, travel time saved, no need for expensive office space, nobody late for work.
No need for London to be the hub.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Should not have to, the tax should be on the organisation to prove why they need to generate a carbon footprint..

Maybe but those having to go to the office or choose to because they can't work from home for whatever reason

Why should they have to pay because they can't?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No the employer pays the tax

That's not what I'm saying

If employee X is paid say 25k to work from home

Why should employee y get the same to have to go into the office at a cost of say 3k travel a year .. plus their time each way because they can't a house to work from home in

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Why should employee y get the same to have to go into the office at a cost of say 3k travel a year .. plus their time each way because they can't a house to work from home in
Choices , everyone should strive to create a work place at home due to the cost save. It’s like people who can live local to the office and those who cannot afford to buy a property in the area ..

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Devil's advocate...
Home worker needs to create a space for working. Needs to run work things like a PC for 8+ hours a day. May need to heat a house/home office in the cold, and perhaps cool in the hot. May need a better/more expensive broadband.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Choices , everyone should strive to create a work place at home due to the cost save. It’s like people who can live local to the office and those who cannot afford to buy a property in the area ..

Majority can't even afford to buy let alone have a home office

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Devil's advocate...
Home worker needs to create a space for working. Needs to run work things like a PC for 8+ hours a day. May need to heat a house/home office in the cold, and perhaps cool in the hot. May need a better/more expensive broadband.

Which they can't afford so go to the office