Random irritations of the day......

Traminator

Well, the Admiral has sorted himself out finally.
Interestingly they've re-instated the original policy due to it being their error, but have specifically mentioned that I wasn't insured for the short period between them canceling and reinstating, sneaky gits.
Thankfully not needed, but weaselish behaviour in my view.

Thread starter #20,842

Blue in Munich

Professional Yeti Impersonator
Well, the Admiral has sorted himself out finally.
Interestingly they've re-instated the original policy due to it being their error, but have specifically mentioned that I wasn't insured for the short period between them canceling and reinstating, sneaky gits.
Thankfully not needed, but weaselish behaviour in my view.
Until you find you've gone through a camera in that period and are asked to produce your insurance...

If you can prove that you paid before the old one ran out I'd be all over them. Have they extended your policy period to match the new start date or have they stuck to the old end date, thus charging you the same price for less than a year's policy?

And according to the new adverts, it's herself. ;)

Traminator

Until you find you've gone through a camera in that period and are asked to produce your insurance...

If you can prove that you paid before the old one ran out I'd be all over them. Have they extended your policy period to match the new start date or have they stuck to the old end date, thus charging you the same price for less than a year's policy?

And according to the new adverts, it's herself. ;)
I phoned them a couple of days before renewal, agreed on the renewal price and gave them my credit card details. They have a recording of all that and they don't understand why it wasn't renewed.

However, they've only started the new policy from today, meaning a 48 hour gap, in the email they specify the renewal is subject to no incidents, including with the police, during the 48 hour gap.

So on one hand they've admitted they made a mistake and shouldn't have, unbeknown to me, stopped the policy, but on the other hand they are not taking responsibility for that period.

The policy runs until when it would have done if it was renewed properly, but is £2 cheaper.

Thread starter #20,844

Blue in Munich

I phoned them a couple of days before renewal, agreed on the renewal price and gave them my credit card details. They have a recording of all that and they don't understand why it wasn't renewed.

However, they've only started the new policy from today, meaning a 48 hour gap, in the email they specify the renewal is subject to no incidents, including with the police, during the 48 hour gap.

So on one hand they've admitted they made a mistake and shouldn't have, unbeknown to me, stopped the policy, but on the other hand they are not taking responsibility for that period.

The policy runs until when it would have done if it was renewed properly, but is £2 cheaper.
Concerning, especially as our cars are on a multicar policy with a certain nautically themed insurer...

I might be inclined to make enquiries of the Ombudsman about their behaviour.

Traminator

Concerning, especially as our cars are on a multicar policy with a certain nautically themed insurer...
Actually, thinking about it, the lady who got the policy restarted said that they had done so based on their employee's computer notes on my renewal phone call, but they'd not yet had chance to listen back to the whole recording.

I'm guessing the missing 48 hours is their safeguard until they can listen and confirm the exact phone conversation.

chrisd

Major Champion
Actually, thinking about it, the lady who got the policy restarted said that they had done so based on their employee's computer notes on my renewal phone call, but they'd not yet had chance to listen back to the whole recording.

I'm guessing the missing 48 hours is their safeguard until they can listen and confirm the exact phone conversation.
Could you not request a transcript of the conversation given the importance of it ?

Traminator

Could you not request a transcript of the conversation given the importance of it ?
Well as things stand, I took a trip to the supermarket and back on Saturday and didn't run any cameras as far as I know so shouldn't have any issues.

Not sure if I'm being naive here, but if a ticket did arrive in the post would they deliberately delete recordings of 3 separate calls in order to deny I wasn't insured because of their mistake?
I would like to hope that couldn't happen... 🤔

chrisd

Major Champion
Well as things stand, I took a trip to the supermarket and back on Saturday and didn't run any cameras as far as I know so shouldn't have any issues.

Not sure if I'm being naive here, but if a ticket did arrive in the post would they deliberately delete recordings of 3 separate calls in order to deny I wasn't insured because of their mistake?
I dont think they would cheat or lie but was just picking up on BIM' s comment.

Thread starter #20,849

Blue in Munich

I'm not saying they would deliberately delete them but I would have hoped that they would have been far more forthcoming & reassuring about the fact that they have totally screwed up & left you technically without cover.

As it stands if you were asked to produce, as unlikely as that is, you couldn't & the onus is on you to do so. If they have been more helpful than that and I'm not picking up on it my apologies, but given the way that they remind you of your obligation to be honest when answering questions as they form the basis of a contract in law, they don't seem keen to be upholding their end of the contract having taken the cash.

Traminator

I'm not saying they would deliberately delete them but I would have hoped that they would have been far more forthcoming & reassuring about the fact that they have totally screwed up & left you technically without cover.

As it stands if you were asked to produce, as unlikely as that is, you couldn't & the onus is on you to do so. If they have been more helpful than that and I'm not picking up on it my apologies, but given the way that they remind you of your obligation to be honest when answering questions as they form the basis of a contract in law, they don't seem keen to be upholding their end of the contract having taken the cash.
I agree totally.

To be balanced though, and this will sound a bit mickey mouse for such a big company, the lady who restarted the policy was WFH "and finishing at 5pm".

When I was speaking to her at 4.40, she said she'd try and get it sorted before she finished work. She phoned me back 15 minutes later and said that her manager had authorised her to restart the policy based on the computer notes. She said that obviously in that intervening time they'd not had chance to listen to the 20 minute phone recording.

I can see that before listening to the recording they need to cover themselves, but once they've listened to it they would have to, if necessary, take full responsibility.

Bottom line is, someone made an admin mistake. It happens, albeit with quite important consequences on this occasion.

I agree totally.

To be balanced though, and this will sound a bit mickey mouse for such a big company, the lady who restarted the policy was WFH "and finishing at 5pm".

When I was speaking to her at 4.40, she said she'd try and get it sorted before she finished work. She phoned me back 15 minutes later and said that her manager had authorised her to restart the policy based on the computer notes. She said that obviously in that intervening time they'd not had chance to listen to the 20 minute phone recording.

I can see that before listening to the recording they need to cover themselves, but once they've listened to it they would have to, if necessary, take full responsibility.

Bottom line is, someone made an admin mistake. It happens, albeit with quite important consequences on this occasion.
Most if not all motor insurance staff are WFH now and mistakes are made by human and technolofly, an its just as frustrating for the staff as well as yourselves.
At least you have your policy back up and running with no harm done.
I think that although we want everything perfect, currently we do have to accept that things can go wrong more readily right now at least until normality returns across the board.:)

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Our buyers buyer has pulled out, we were supposed to be exchanging this week.
House was on the market since June and the chain was complete in October. We'll miss the stamp duty holiday deadline, sellers probably won't hang around.
I'm going to have to sort my son's school application, and my wife is 5 months pregnant.
I'm lost.

Maybe not but I'm sure they didn't deliberately leave you uninsured for two days either. :cautious:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
House was on the market since June and the chain was complete in October. We'll miss the stamp duty holiday deadline, sellers probably won't hang around.
I'm going to have to sort my son's school application, and my wife is 5 months pregnant.
I'm lost.
Oh crikey that's awful. Feel for you and hope you can quickly get something sorted.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
I'm lost.

Sorry to hear :( Seems quite a few chains are falling apart