questionable behavior (cheating)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
A previous club I played at didn't have balloted medals so people would tend to play in the same or similar groups for most competitions.

I can't say there was any cheating going on in terms of trying to win comps or 2s, but there was some handicap management (both in terms of vanity and sand-bagging) which amounts to the same thing.

The club did try to have more balloted medals but unsurprisingly, members had become well used to playing with people they wanted to so it never took off.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
There’s far more to comps than sweeps. Nothing wrong with them but should be optional IMO. I’d still pay as would many others but don’t think people should be forced to. Definitely a valid topic for discussion.

It's a balance. Some memberships are happy with social golf and don't want too many competitions. Others, the membership is keen to have competitions and will have 2 or 3 per week from April to October.

My place there is a split and there are a core of members who want to have their social games on a Saturday and another who want to have competitions. There are already a decent number of comps but on 'free' saturdays, they now run an optional medal.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only thing that’s stupid is someone who joins a golf forum and arrogantly tries to shut down a perfectly legitimate discussion about golf. Lol the only reason any of us are here is to discuss stuff on the internet.

Feel free to not engage if your mind is made up but don’t be rude to someone who does want to discuss it.

I’ve been a member of clubs where sweeps are mandatory and others where they are optional. So it does happen already.
Yes at my old club it was part of the entrance fee.
You didn’t have a choice if playing in the comp.
I do feel it should be separate and a choice to opt in.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
What, ruining the enjoyment of millions of golfers who enjoy sweeps and competition prizes?
Sure, go ahead and discuss on the internet. It won't ever happen because it's a stupid suggestion.

Hey let’s calm down please, let’s discuss things in a grown up manner

Thank you

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Hey let’s calm down please, let’s discuss things in a grown up manner

Thank you

True, but the funny thing is , aren't they arguing about not the same thing?
Tram is saying it's wrong to suggest banning sweeps and comps.
Kaz is saying they should be able to discuss whether sweeps should be optional or mandatory .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The only thing that’s stupid is someone who joins a golf forum and arrogantly tries to shut down a perfectly legitimate discussion about golf. Lol the only reason any of us are here is to discuss stuff on the internet.

Feel free to not engage if your mind is made up but don’t be rude to someone who does want to discuss it.

I’ve been a member of clubs where sweeps are mandatory and others where they are optional. So it does happen already.
I'm not a fan of playing for money - never have been. I'll take it if I win it - but will avoid playing with any guys who insist on a casual round that has much more than £5 at stake.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have played hundreds of rounds in the last 13 years, (as a member, society player and forum member) I have seen a few players unintentionally break rules they were unaware of, but I have only witnessed 1 episode of cheating when a clear air shot wasn’t declared as such despite a challenge with a witness

As he wasn’t in for any prizes I let it go, but I won’t play with that person again.

Cheating is not the norm , it does happen, but it isn’t as prevalent as some think.

I’ve always found it best to mention it anyway even if it’s just afterwards over a pint. Some just genuinely don’t know what they are doing.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We play for the drinks.
Never for money.
The more money involved the more cheating goes on imo.
Human nature , ( some anyway).

This I agree with, on roll ups where there was money in a pot, the winner was expected to buy the first round anyway and so often ended up with only a pound or two. More than that and the winner was expected to get a bowl of chips for the table. As such, winning gave you bragging rights but no financial gain that would warrant cheating.

Personally, I think that we should go back to the old maximum winnings rules as part of having an amateur status. Once you get cash prizes of £50 and above or on the bigger, national comps with thousands of pounds in prizes, you are going to attract the element who will do what it takes to win. Personally, the £30 max seemed right to me.

Mandofred

Visit site
If we ever get back to our rollups, you could lose up to £4.50 on Wed and £5 on Saturdays. That covers the larger group (£2-2.50) and what usually happens within the 4 ball (£.50-£.50-£1). It's more than I like to play for and other groups play for less, but in reality it's no big deal....I'm just not much of a gambler. I'd rather play for something like £.20-.20-.50.
On Wed the larger group fee is £2 each.....that goes for 1st and 2nd place individual and a fair bit towards the winning group score. Saturday they add .50 to cover any 2's. If you win the individual you lose 1-2 or 3 shots off your handicap depending on your division (2nd loses .5). I'm 9.7 at the moment but 2 seasons ago I was playing off 3 or 4 for a lot of the year because of wins and 2nds.

As far as comps.....£3 for entry plus £2 for any 2's. The 2's money are almost always optional. The reason a lot of people don't enter the 2's is that all things are not equal. The better players are going to get more than the higher handicappers. Sometimes I put it in, sometimes I don't.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If we ever get back to our rollups, you could lose up to £4.50 on Wed and £5 on Saturdays. That covers the larger group (£2-2.50) and what usually happens within the 4 ball (£.50-£.50-£1). It's more than I like to play for and other groups play for less, but in reality it's no big deal....I'm just not much of a gambler. I'd rather play for something like £.20-.20-.50.
On Wed the larger group fee is £2 each.....that goes for 1st and 2nd place individual and a fair bit towards the winning group score. Saturday they add .50 to cover any 2's. If you win the individual you lose 1-2 or 3 shots off your handicap depending on your division (2nd loses .5). I'm 9.7 at the moment but 2 seasons ago I was playing off 3 or 4 for a lot of the year because of wins and 2nds.

As far as comps.....£3 for entry plus £2 for any 2's. The 2's money are almost always optional. The reason a lot of people don't enter the 2's is that all things are not equal. The better players are going to get more than the higher handicappers. Sometimes I put it in, sometimes I don't.
Ours are scratch to 12 cap and 13 and over Divisions.
Got a two last week and got £2.50
My mate got one same day 15 cap £16
The low men get more but don’t get any winnings , it’s becoming not worth it.
Plus 2 of our par 3s are almost 200yds And another is 204yds. So not easy.
It’s a bit of interest that’s all for a £1.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
yep ours are, but i do find it strange the amount of guys who don't go in the twos, i would have though everyone has a chance of one and our is only £1
Ours is £1 but I rarely enter. We have 4 par 3's, 3 a decent strike away and all tricky. There is only 1 of them that I expect to hit the green, the others are all a rescue or 3 wood shot and so the chance of a 2 is greatly reduced. I have had 2's but I know that I am up by a far greater amount by not entering.

I now only enter when the weather is perfect, no head wind, warm weather so the ball travels. I have not entered at all so far this calendar year, inc winter comps.

Everyone only has a chance if the holes are designed to be reachable and manageable to all levels, not just the better golfers.

Tommy10

Visit site
Our 2's were worth £200 on Saturday, 15 people won £13.30 each. You pay £2 to enter the 2's.

Also pay £2 sweep money and you get a share of that if you are placed 1/2/3 in your division, we also pay £1 entry which goes to the club.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ours is £1 but I rarely enter. We have 4 par 3's, 3 a decent strike away and all tricky. There is only 1 of them that I expect to hit the green, the others are all a rescue or 3 wood shot and so the chance of a 2 is greatly reduced. I have had 2's but I know that I am up by a far greater amount by not entering.

I now only enter when the weather is perfect, no head wind, warm weather so the ball travels. I have not entered at all so far this calendar year, inc winter comps.

Everyone only has a chance if the holes are designed to be reachable and manageable to all levels, not just the better golfers.
so are you saying you have no chance of a two unless its a nice day with no wind etc??

D

Deleted Member 1156

I wonder what the most is that anyone has won or lost on a single occasion? I once played in a 36 hole open with a bunch of friends who also entered. We had a pot going and I won the competition so between prize vouchers, sweep money and our pot I picked up £315 that day :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
so are you saying you have no chance of a two unless its a nice day with no wind etc??
The chances of me getting a 2 are significantly reduced on anything other than a perfect day. Not impossible, I have done it, but the odds are strongly against me. If the incentive is not there, why pay in?

I've played at clubs previously where I would enter every time, I am not anti 2's, but the ones at my current course are not great to be honest, they are not short iron holes.

It is not through lack of trying, I can assure you.