questionable behavior (cheating)

Mandofred

Visit site
Tomorrow is our medal and it got me thinking about something a couple people told me when I joined 5 years ago. Evidently our medals weren't drawn in the past so that people could just sign up and play with friends etc. At some point someone noticed that a particular group always got a 2 (and money) and that it rotated between them each time. Turns out they took turns giving one in their group a 2 and the next time it would be someone else. Evidently their justification was that they really weren't cheating since they would add that shot on the next hole so their scores would represent what they "really" shot. Another guy I play with said he saw someone on a hole over from him kick the ball out from behind a tree so he had a clear shot....he didn't know who it was. Something I always think about are the people who can't help but give gimmies to people....which if you aren't playing a comp I could care less about. But I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people who give a putt in a comp as well. Any problems at your courses?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You are being kind by calling it questionable behaviour! Anything knowingly in breach of the rules or not putting down the correct score is cheating pure and simple. Haven’t heard of anything similar at my club, but I have only played the mandatory three comps in the past two years.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There is, and I know you personally are not, justifying spreading 2's round a group and adding the shot to the next hole - that is absolutely cheating and imo if that was proven I'd throw the perpetrators out if the club if it were down to me. I have never heard of gimmee's in a medal situation at my place. My only concern is the interpretations when none of a group know the rules, quite clearly most do what they think is right but I doubt they get it right and even when I was on the golf committee no one ever asked for a ruling by the committee which suggests they just did/didn't apply what they guessed was appropriate.

Siolag

Visit site
A member at our place says someone’s told him that’s what another group do. Wouldn’t be drawn on who it was. He does seem to have a bit of a bee in his bonnet about things like that, in his eye anyone shooting the occasional low score or playing well in match play knockouts is a bandit.

He doesn’t play the 2s for that reason.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tomorrow is our medal and it got me thinking about something a couple people told me when I joined 5 years ago. Evidently our medals weren't drawn in the past so that people could just sign up and play with friends etc. At some point someone noticed that a particular group always got a 2 (and money) and that it rotated between them each time. Turns out they took turns giving one in their group a 2 and the next time it would be someone else. Evidently their justification was that they really weren't cheating since they would add that shot on the next hole so their scores would represent what they "really" shot. Another guy I play with said he saw someone on a hole over from him kick the ball out from behind a tree so he had a clear shot....he didn't know who it was. Something I always think about are the people who can't help but give gimmies to people....which if you aren't playing a comp I could care less about. But I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people who give a putt in a comp as well. Any problems at your courses?

Not only is that cheating, it's also theft.
They are actually stealing money, a criminal offence!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im confused. Why are the putting down 2's?
2's club presumably. Before a comp people can choose to put money in ,£1 at our place. Anyone who then gets a 2 gets a share of the pot. Depending on how many are in the comp and pay in it can be a nice bonus.

It's optional and doesn't have to be a physical £1. Ours is taken off our club card when we sign in to a comp on the club computer.

I agree with a previous poster. Not only are they cheating but they are stealing from their clubmates ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Im confused. Why are the putting down 2's?

A lot of clubs have a "ball sweep" in competitions. At ours it's not compulsory but the £2 entry (from those who do enter) buys x number of balls and those are split between the number of players who score a 2 in the comp

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not only is that cheating, it's also theft.
They are actually stealing money, a criminal offence!

This is the point, by deliberately putting down a false score to obtain money you are obtaining money by deception, committing fraud if you like and, above breaking the rules of golf, is serious criminal offence.

D

Deleted member 1147

I always ask my playing partners if they’ll share their two’s money...they never do!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Would it not be obvious to whoever checks the 2s, that the same group were winning every time?
We had two brother, they always play together and they always had at least one two. Members of the comps committee booked the tee time behind them to observe these two's. They were hauled in front of a disaplinary committee and the abundence of two's stopped.
And the worst of it for them is that everyone in the club knows.

On the theme of general cheating. I was playing in the Mid Week Stableford when my mate alerted me to a gardener behind the 10th green. His ball had overshot the green and ended up in thigh high nettles. I watched him scythe away at them creating a path to his ball, a path for his stance and swing and then finally tamp something down with his foot.
The problem with getting involed with this sort of stuff is that you know it is going to affect your game negatively, and it did.
I shouted across and pointed out the error of his ways. I didn't see him in the club house, he had gone straight home, but I saw his playing partners. They said he had nil returned the hole and that they hadn't actually seen him "gardening".

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

By far the best way to stop that kind of thing is to do as we do at our club. All competitions are drawn with preference stated for early, middle or late tee times. That way, the cheats do not get the chance to prosper.

D

Deleted member 16999

By far the best way to stop that kind of thing is to do as we do at our club. All competitions are drawn with preference stated for early, middle or late tee times. That way, the cheats do not get the chance to prosper.
I don’t believe drawn comps stops cheating, it may stop co-ordinated planning of 2’s but a cheat will always find a way sadly.

jamiet7682

Visit site
A lot of clubs have a "ball sweep" in competitions. At ours it's not compulsory but the £2 entry (from those who do enter) buys x number of balls and those are split between the number of players who score a 2 in the comp
Thats shocking then, they are stealing. Should be immediately banned from every club. Scumbags.