Question on club selection at par 3 into the wind

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd go 10 yards per club plus another one or two depending on the wind. So four or five clubs? Unless of course it's a wind that our links-playing friends north of the border would descibe as being "a wee bit stiff" in which case I'd be looking to find the driver

Doh.... I'm an idiot.

Ignore previous - except perhaps the bit about the possibility of needing the driver in a Scottish breeze.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Par three hole.

140 yds to middle of green.

30 yd long green

Q: How many extra clubs do you need to take to hit the back of the green as opposed to the front ?

;)

So its 155 to back and 125 too the front?

For me, 7 to back and 9 to front in calm conditions!

However, my 7 might not be your 7! ( see rant about club lofts!) :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
to justify your rant, I was watching some of the Memorial on Setanta earlier. Faldo mentioned someone (missed who) hitting 185 with a wedge. Definitely supports the case for removing the current misleading descriptions and using the real lofts to identify the clubs.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Elevation, hazards, wind strength and direction all play a part, I would make a judgement on the tee.
On my own course, which is renowned for windy conditions, I have used between a gap wedge and 5 iron on a 138yd pay 3 and been short or overshot with both.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I played the 18th at Drumoig on Monday I hit it with a 9 iron .... It was 195 to the middle of the green and 178 to the front but due to dry hard ground conditions I knew I only had to hit it 140-150 and it would roll out close to the green and it ended 20 feet from the hole.