Question on club selection at par 3 into the wind

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
9 iron front, 8 for back, all depends on wind are we talking summer breeze or a small hurricane?

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK, I will stick with my selection, assuming the wind is blowing behind me. If not I will club up and drive the ball low and hard onto the green, (well I would try to, probably sore like a bird back over my own head)

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
for me front of green 9, middle 8 back 7, however this depends on conditions, uphill, downhill, wind strength etc

one example of this, at my course 3rd and 5th are both par 3's, run in opposite directions, one measures 160 the other 210, played recently and used a 4 iron at both.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
I asked the Q because John Stirling (Golf pro, great after-dinner speaker too) once told me that an extra club only gives you 7 more yards into the wind so in the above example you'd need 4 more clubs to hit the back of the green than the front.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I asked the Q because John Stirling (Golf pro, great after-dinner speaker too) once told me that an extra club only gives you 7 more yards into the wind so in the above example you'd need 4 more clubs to hit the back of the green than the front.

What a ridiculous statement - if you hit a wedge it's going to go nowhere at all whereas if you hit a low 5 iron then of course you'll get it to go further.

The right correct club is the one that get's you closest to the flag, irrespective of the number on the bottom of it.....

D

Deleted member 1147

For wind against:

I'd add 1 club from further back in the stance and grip down, for the wind.

So for me 140 = 9 iron, therefore 8 for 140 in wind.

Therefore I'd say 9 for front, 8 for middle and probably an easy runner with the 7 for the back (let her bounce in!)

For wind behind:

PW for front & middle, 9 for back.

D

Deleted member 1147

What a ridiculous statement - if you hit a wedge it's going to go nowhere at all whereas if you hit a low 5 iron then of course you'll get it to go further.

The right correct club is the one that get's you closest to the flag, irrespective of the number on the bottom of it.....

I think that when wind is involved it's a matter of how you hit the shot rather than what club you hit.

Isn't that basically what Allis was on abount at the weekend?

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can't help you with the stats SS2 but I did speak briefly with John Stirling once. A good golfer and he had a name for really knowing how to make people laugh.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my match on tuesday, I hit a 3iron into the 161yd 13th and ended up at the back of the green, so a 4 was the club I should have hit. I would have guessed that we were hitting into the teeth of a 20-25mph(gale). All things being even, ie.(no wind) I would usually hit an 8iron into that green. By my calculations, that means that I would add a club length for every 5mph of wind(approx).

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is he sure!!

140 into wind with a 9 iron,yeah right.

Depending on the shot (elevation,wind direction,shape of green) anything from 5 iron or up and down to 6/7/4.

5 iron would be my stock shot to the middle of the green at about 160 into the wind. No need to hit it too hard or try to manutacture anything.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
AHA!! Misread the first post,140 to middle.

Then it would be 6 to middle,7/8 to front,5/4 to back.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd go 10 yards per club plus another one or two depending on the wind. So four or five clubs? Unless of course it's a wind that our links-playing friends north of the border would descibe as being "a wee bit stiff" in which case I'd be looking to find the driver