Qualifiers under covid rules

D

Deleted member 15344

IG today went through their competition and scoring APP to help not having to pass scorecards about - including taking a picture of the scorecard so the comp admin can see it

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's the thoughts about cards with par or better having to be physically posted in clubhouse.
Less cards for the match committee to physically check if they have no bearing on the result. All cards should have already been agreed with the marker before input so if you are going up .1 it probably doesn't matter that it is checked again.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are having our first stableford comp on Saturday and it has been declared a qualifier.
It looks like all bunkers will be in play and we have small foam inserts in the holes. I haven't seen any problems to date with the ball coming out of the hole because of the inserts.
We will play in 2 balls and I will be responsible for my FC's card, he will not touch it at all and he will mark mine. I will enter my score in the markers column as normal and at the end I will sign as marker once both sets of scores have been agreed. I will keep my FC's card and then enter my score remotely into the software. My FC will then enter his score in the same method from the markers score on the card that he has marked for me.
Only cards showing a return of par or better need to be physically posted in the clubhouse.
With rain and 45mph winds forecast for Saturday, I would have thought that anything above 32 points would be in with a chance. ;)

The card business is the wrong way round, you should be marking your own card and keeping the fellow competitors score in the markers column.
You still should sign your own card but the marker only has to verbally agree the score.

I would suggest you get your organiser to look at what the R&A has allowed see rulefan's post #4

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The card business is the wrong way round, you should be marking your own card and keeping the fellow competitors score in the markers column.
You still should sign your own card but the marker only has to verbally agree the score.

I would suggest you get your organiser to look at what the R&A has allowed see rulefan's post #4
The R&A instruction allows for the committee to come up with a solution, your club may prefer the one you mention our method would be for me to complete your card with my score going in the markers column.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is how my club intends to run comps this summer..........

QUOTE....
Members will pick up a scorecard and put one of their playing partners names on it along with the competition name, date and relevant handicap. They will mark that players card and at the end of the round they will verbally verify the score. At this point they will sign the card as a marker (it does not need to be countersigned by the player). It should then be returned into the competitions score box outside the shop.

The scorecards will then be verified and checked on a Monday morning by the Competitions Committee. At this moment in time, scores will not be entered into the computer system as qualifying scores. Any exceptional scores that merit handicap decreases, will have these applied manually.

It's the last sentence that bothered me.
I actually questioned this with the club, scores not entered into computer, yet still manually applying handicap decreases for exceptional scores.
No guide to what an exceptional score is, without the full field of scores entered and applied to achieve a CSS
Committee discretion...... ?

D

Deleted member 15344

This is how my club intends to run comps this summer..........

QUOTE....
Members will pick up a scorecard and put one of their playing partners names on it along with the competition name, date and relevant handicap. They will mark that players card and at the end of the round they will verbally verify the score. At this point they will sign the card as a marker (it does not need to be countersigned by the player). It should then be returned into the competitions score box outside the shop.

The scorecards will then be verified and checked on a Monday morning by the Competitions Committee. At this moment in time, scores will not be entered into the computer system as qualifying scores. Any exceptional scores that merit handicap decreases, will have these applied manually.

It's the last sentence that bothered me.
I actually questioned this with the club, scores not entered into computer, yet still manually applying handicap decreases for exceptional scores.
No guide to what an exceptional score is, without the full field of scores entered and applied to achieve a CSS
Committee discretion...... ?

well that’s against all sorts of CONGU regulations

It’s either full Qualfiying for all or if the course is not at the required level it’s non qualfiying for all.

They can’t be using “committee discretion” - that’s going back old style

All scores must be entered into the system and there are ways to do that without having anyone touch a card beyond one person

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The committee has no such discretion.

well that’s against all sorts of CONGU regulations

It’s either full Qualfiying for all or if the course is not at the required level it’s non qualfiying for all.

They can’t be using “committee discretion” - that’s going back old style

All scores must be entered into the system and there are ways to do that without having anyone touch a card beyond one person

To expand on the above, in addition to Clause 17,3/1, it is contrary to Clause 23/6 and Appendix M.

So I'm guessing this sort of thing wouldn't normally be sanctioned by county union........ ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It makes a lot more sense for players to mark their playing partners card as normal, and as I said before, no reason at all why both can't sign.
#

The whole point of the current rules is so that only one person handles the card!!

You might be happy to handles some one elses card but I bet there are thousands that would not and just as important hundreds of managers, whose responsibility is health and safety, that would not want see it happen.

D

Deleted member 15344

So I'm guessing this sort of thing wouldn't normally be sanctioned by county union........ ?

No it’s not something a county would sanction - I would go to your county
#

The whole point of the current rules is so that only one person handles the card!!

You might be happy to handles some one elses card but I bet there are thousands that would not and just as important hundreds of managers, whose responsibility is health and safety, that would not want see it happen.

You can sign a card without touching it

But you don’t need to have a card signed - there are many ways to get around any issues and the likes of IG and Club Systems are bring forward developments so that we can play comps right now and not have to handle a card if we don’t wish but then things in place for us if a card is used.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
No it’s not something a county would sanction - I would go to your county

You can sign a card without touching it

But you don’t need to have a card signed - there are many ways to get around any issues and the likes of IG and Club Systems are bring forward developments so that we can play comps right now and not have to handle a card if we don’t wish but then things in place for us if a card is used.

Unfortunately Club Systems appear to be having a little trouble with their system as its still on BETA testing even though initially it was due in of April.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With edits

"You can sign a card without touching it"

"But you don’t need to have a card signed"

" - there are many ways to get around any issues and the likes of IG and Club Systems are bring forward developments so that we can play comps right now and not have to handle a card if we don’t wish but then things in place for us if a card is used.

I agree
We are going ahead with the IG systems which they already have and we have already put it in place for Supplementary Scores.
The only players we have to worry about is those without a smart phone or app and will probably go to emailed photos/photocopies of the card.

We know from ' emails read' that we have less than 5% that probably do not have a computer system though but there again that also means these players are not getting any of the information about what is happening at the club as email is now our sole means of corresponding. This small group my well not be playing in comps anyway as it needs a computer to book in to a comp in the first place.