Putting masterclass with David Howell

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
So then folks, i was lucky enough to win a comp via twitter courtesy of Adams/YES! and GM, today saw me visit Walton Heath Golf club in Surrey for a putting lesson with Howeller!

First of all, the club just wreaks of history and class, the captains board in the bar, if before 1980 you were not at least a sir or a high ranking military, you were not getting near it! their first captains were The Prince of Wales and King Edward VIII !! I really want to play the old course there, but at £145 its a bit out of my price range!

Anyway, met up with Jezz from GM and Dave (the other winner from twitter, who said he would join the forum) Went out for a quick putt before David and the team arrived from Basingstoke HQ.

David Arrived with a couple of guys from Adams and his agent, all great guys. David was an absolute top bloke from the outset.

Dave and I started with some putts, Dave started and David picked up some immediate faults and issues. Then it was my turn, David picked me up on being too upright, head not over the ball enough, ball to centered in stance. So we changed all of that, used his putting mirror and an alignment string, massive improvement, i literally could not miss from 8ft.

As David said, putting is quite easy as long as you aim correctly and hit the ball where you aim! so most of the work we did focused around this. Rain and even HAIL, none of this stopped David, we continued on! he genuinely seemed happy to be there helping us.

Did some more work on alignment, distance, stroke in general, David did point out, he is NOT a coach, however he knows a fair bit about putting!! and i trusted 100% what he was saying!!

After David had been abusing my Two-Thumbs grip all day and even more so when i don't grip it using the two thumbs method! pointed out that my club was bouncing the ball off the face, he reckons it could be used as a chipper! But all is not lost! the guys from Adams/YES said to David, "tell us what putters you think they both need and we will sort them out!" So thats a Yes i4-Tech Callie on the way for me!! 33" as David pointed out, i am a short arse!

So all in all, a fantastic couple of hours!!! left with a renewed confidence on the green, some really good drills and a regime to work on, and a new shiney on the way!! Bring on the practice greens!!

I think i may have stood in some dog doo earlier in the year, as i have been extremely lucky!! so huge thanks go to team GM!! (even though when i entered, i didn't even know it was a GM backed comp! i retweeted Adams! LOL)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great review, glad you enjoyed it. I really like DH persona and the way he comes across when he is doing media work (was a big fan of his GM column). Im not at all surprised to read he's a top bloke.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very jealous Scott, great to have such a period of time with a genuinely nice bloke (I once met him at Bearwood Lakes when he was working with Cleveland/Srixon) .. Well done and watch what your walking in from now on ! ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well written Rooter. He always comes across as one of the nice guys and I hope that your putting gets some shots off your handicap !

I need to know whether Jezz is a decent guy who could put up with an old duffer like me. I've paid £20 to ply HfH with him - will he see it through do you reckon?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice one Rooter! Sounds like a great day and a new putter to boot! I like Howell a lot, he's spot on when doing his Sky work.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nice one! I am jealous. I live right near Walton as well!

I followed the Howeller round in the US Open qualifier (3 years ago I think). It lashed it down! I was absolutely drooling over his putting. The best putting display I have ever seen. Honest. I was so in awe I emailed him afterwards and got a response. He said he did putt 'rather well' that day!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well written Rooter. He always comes across as one of the nice guys and I hope that your putting gets some shots off your handicap !

I need to know whether Jezz is a decent guy who could put up with an old duffer like me. I've paid £20 to ply HfH with him - will he see it through do you reckon?

Haha! He is another top bloke, you will enjoy his company! He was not aware that the GM staffers had been pimped out!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems a great day!

Indeed Howeller is a really nice guy - used to have the occasional meal in some of the places near me as he lived very close. Now over in Weybridge.

I believe that £145 is a day ticket, so possibly worth a Birthday treat. Played it quite a bit as I have a mate who is a member there. Guest fee was was quite trivial and is probably also a Day Ticket!

Great pair of courses and the closest to an 'inland links' type of course I know - even with the sound of the ocean (M25) in one corner. New Course is not exactly new - 1907! Certainly no pushover, with a better start than the old imo, no real difference in course quality and tends to play only 1 less in Tournaments.

The 4 long Par 4s in the first 6 of the Old are probably the toughest stretch of holes I know, specially into the prevailing wind.

Greens might well have wrecked your confidence though. The practice green shows a tiny bit of the characteristics, but the main greens all have tiny breaks that bite just near the cup - wherever it is! None of the greens (well maybe 1) are actually flat, though there is really only 1 that is roly-poly. Tom Watson hit all 18 of them in 1 round of the Seniors a couple of years ago, some quite close, and made 3 Birdies. He said later that he remembered the last second dive trait from the '81 Ryder Cup.

James Braid's workshop is a bit fascinating - if rather sparse - too. Died aged 83 and that was the only year he didn't shoot his age or better. Must have loved the Railways to have got from there to all the courses he designed/refurbished

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember walking around Wentworth on the Thursday of the PGA at Wentworth the year he won - picked him up on the tee at 5 zany I think I went all the way round with him (might have let him go round 8 9 10 on his own)
Lovely bloke , was happy to chat all the way where we could walk close by

tyke

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a great day Rooter. Howell's Caddy is a member at my course and raves about what a great bloke he is, guess this just confirms it.,

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
No!!! He admitted that and no money changed hands!!

Yeah, I'd be wary of taking tips from Unqualified people .... He he he

Seriously though , it's amazing isnt it , that it just comes down to aim.
I borrowed a putting mirror last year, and was amazed I ever got a putt in the hole, which suggests that it was mi***** and misreads that I was actually good at !

Hope you get on with the new tool

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great write up Scott.....saw him close up at the Amex at the Grove a few years back, and he is an absolute gent.....good luck with the putter..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Howeller has done some stuff via GM for forum guys before so nice that he is keeping that association going. Great gesture from the Yes guys to sort out the putter too. For the record Jezz is a thoroughly good egg and great company on the course and hits it a mighty fine way for someone perhaps short of height but compensated a little in bulk.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd kill for an opportunity like that! Glad you enjoyed it and I hope you see the benefit in your game.

I always thought Howell came across as a decent guy, he always seems pretty down to earth when he's on Sky. He told a good story about being at The Masters one year when he took himself off after the Thursday round to play at a local course. Two guys saw him hit a couple of shots and said to him "Hey man, nice swing. What do you play off - 5? 6?"